Mormon WikiLeaks (MormonLeaks)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Northwestcoug
    Cocked and Loaded
    • May 2011
    • 18028

    #106
    Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
    I know. I am in my garments right now. I like that they don't ride up.
    You are one weird dude, BM.
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

    Comment

    • Moliere
      One man.....one pie
      • Oct 2009
      • 27884

      #107
      Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
      I know. I am in my garments right now. I like that they don't ride up.
      Pics or it didn't happen


      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

      Comment

      • snowcat
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2009
        • 1348

        #108
        Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        Actually, he didn't really say that


        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        He didn't say it would be easy, only that it would be worth it.
        One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

        Woot

        I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
        SU

        Comment

        • CJF
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 8497

          #109
          Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
          My first born son appreciates the mention of his birthday, CJF.
          Only great comes into the world on May 15th.
          A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

          Comment

          • imanihonjin
            Junior Member
            • Jun 2013
            • 3772

            #110
            Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
            I know. I am in my garments right now. I like that they don't ride up.
            For reals? Why? Honest question.

            Comment

            • Applejack
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2012
              • 3813

              #111
              All this talk about GA's salaries being too low, and I agree; for me, you couldn't pay me enough to do that job. But if you look at it as an economic matter, I think the salaries are astronomical.

              What are the job requirements for the Q12?:

              - Trustworthy
              - Not prone to flights of fancy
              - Some serious travel
              - Live in SLC
              - Speak english
              - A LOT of public speaking
              - Have a monotonous speaking voice
              - Keep the standards of the church
              - Don't have a beard

              OK, now what are the non-monetary perks?:

              - Adulation from friends and family
              - Revered as God's mouthpiece by complete strangers
              - Get to set the direction (along with 15 other people) of a major world religion
              - Your kids and grandkids get to go to BYU for free (right?)
              - Those same kids and grandkids will be idolized in Utah as being your kids and grandkids

              Given the requirements and the perks, I think there are quite a lot of rich doctors and attorneys who would be willing to do the job for free. Hell, I know a lot that would pay for the privilege.

              TL;DR: The church should charge the Q12 a living wage.

              Comment

              • byu71
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 22070

                #112
                Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                All this talk about GA's salaries being too low, and I agree; for me, you couldn't pay me enough to do that job. But if you look at it as an economic matter, I think the salaries are astronomical.

                What are the job requirements for the Q12?:

                - Trustworthy
                - Not prone to flights of fancy
                - Some serious travel
                - Live in SLC
                - Speak english
                - A LOT of public speaking
                - Have a monotonous speaking voice
                - Keep the standards of the church
                - Don't have a beard

                OK, now what are the non-monetary perks?:

                - Adulation from friends and family
                - Revered as God's mouthpiece by complete strangers
                - Get to set the direction (along with 15 other people) of a major world religion
                - Your kids and grandkids get to go to BYU for free (right?)
                - Those same kids and grandkids will be idolized in Utah as being your kids and grandkids

                Given the requirements and the perks, I think there are quite a lot of rich doctors and attorneys who would be willing to do the job for free. Hell, I know a lot that would pay for the privilege.

                TL;DR: The church should charge the Q12 a living wage.

                I am not current on what happens with Mission Presidents in this present day and age. Are they paid or at least their living expenses paid for. I would assume they don't pay rent while in the mission home.

                Comment

                • taekwondave
                  Junior Member
                  • Feb 2011
                  • 1160

                  #113
                  Originally posted by snowcat View Post
                  He didn't say it would be easy, only that it would be worth it.
                  "Ayudate que yo te ayudare."

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69711

                    #114
                    Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                    All this talk about GA's salaries being too low, and I agree; for me, you couldn't pay me enough to do that job. But if you look at it as an economic matter, I think the salaries are astronomical.

                    What are the job requirements for the Q12?:

                    - Trustworthy
                    - Not prone to flights of fancy
                    - Some serious travel
                    - Live in SLC
                    - Speak english
                    - A LOT of public speaking
                    - Have a monotonous speaking voice
                    - Keep the standards of the church
                    - Don't have a beard

                    OK, now what are the non-monetary perks?:

                    - Adulation from friends and family
                    - Revered as God's mouthpiece by complete strangers
                    - Get to set the direction (along with 15 other people) of a major world religion
                    - Your kids and grandkids get to go to BYU for free (right?)
                    - Those same kids and grandkids will be idolized in Utah as being your kids and grandkids

                    Given the requirements and the perks, I think there are quite a lot of rich doctors and attorneys who would be willing to do the job for free. Hell, I know a lot that would pay for the privilege.

                    TL;DR: The church should charge the Q12 a living wage.


                    Sacrifice my retirement and time with my family? Pass.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • taekwondave
                      Junior Member
                      • Feb 2011
                      • 1160

                      #115
                      Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                      I am not current on what happens with Mission Presidents in this present day and age. Are they paid or at least their living expenses paid for. I would assume they don't pay rent while in the mission home.
                      I think they actually get full reimbursements for a whole host of things.

                      Comment

                      • Moliere
                        One man.....one pie
                        • Oct 2009
                        • 27884

                        #116
                        Originally posted by taekwondave View Post
                        I think they actually get full reimbursements for a whole host of things.
                        MPs are given a monthly budget for the mission, which includes their own personal items. It's not large but covers gas, groceries, clothes and other personal items. Their homes are paid for and furnished by the church. They also usually have the use of two mission cars, although I know many in the US will drive to their mission so they have another (nicer) car available for use at all times by the wife/family.

                        My dad served as a MP and his mission home was nice and big enough to host many missionaries. It was also in a nice neighborhood.

                        That being said, MP is probably the hardest calling in the church and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Not only are you not paid, the plethora of problems that constantly come up are definitely not worth the adulation or deification by the 19-22 year olds. Plus, many MPs are called before they are ready to retire and taking that hiatus does serious damage to job/future income potential.


                        Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                        Comment

                        • creekster
                          It is NOT a monkey!
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 22661

                          #117
                          Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                          Plus, many MPs are called before they are ready to retire and taking that hiatus does serious damage to job/future income potential.
                          There is a guy I know who was called as an MP at a fairly young age. He was in the midst of a very successful business career and had just been named CEO of a growing company. He left it all behind and took his family to a foreign mission to serve. Upon his return he could not get back to where he was and his career has been very mixed and much more difficult since then. I have never heard him complain, but I have always wondered if he second guesses it.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                          Comment

                          • PaloAltoCougar
                            Semper infra dignitatem
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 16937

                            #118
                            As has been noted, MPs are given a living allowance, but it's barely enough to cover all living expenses. The few MPs I've been close to have all dipped into personal savings to cover a portion of their mission cost; certainly nobody made money off of what they received from the Church. At their pre-mission interview with a member of the FP, throughout their mission, and then at their release, MPs are consistently told they are responsible for finding post-mission employment and that it won't be with the Church. The damage to careers, like that of creekster's acquaintance, is not unusual.

                            I respect skeptics for their doubts as to historicity matters; I have no respect for cynics who are convinced there are financial windfalls from Church service.

                            Comment

                            • Soccermom
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 4063

                              #119
                              Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                              As has been noted, MPs are given a living allowance, but it's barely enough to cover all living expenses. The few MPs I've been close to have all dipped into personal savings to cover a portion of their mission cost; certainly nobody made money off of what they received from the Church. At their pre-mission interview with a member of the FP, throughout their mission, and then at their release, MPs are consistently told they are responsible for finding post-mission employment and that it won't be with the Church. The damage to careers, like that of creekster's acquaintance, is not unusual.

                              I respect skeptics for their doubts as to historicity matters; I have no respect for cynics who are convinced there are financial windfalls from Church service.
                              Speaking of MPs, as my son approaches his days of missionary service within the next year, I have this secret hope that you will soon be called as a mission president to the mission my son will be assigned.

                              Comment

                              • smokymountainrain
                                Impressive Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 22593

                                #120
                                Originally posted by creekster View Post
                                There is a guy I know who was called as an MP at a fairly young age. He was in the midst of a very successful business career and had just been named CEO of a growing company. He left it all behind and took his family to a foreign mission to serve. Upon his return he could not get back to where he was and his career has been very mixed and much more difficult since then. I have never heard him complain, but I have always wondered if he second guesses it.
                                you pretty much described my MP. called at 39 years of age (edit: he was 41 when called), founder and CEO of a growing company, took 7 kids between the ages of 18 and 3 to serve a foreign mission. Now in his 60s, welders laugh at his $120K salary.
                                Last edited by smokymountainrain; 01-10-2017, 01:07 PM.
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

                                Comment

                                Working...