Mormon WikiLeaks (MormonLeaks)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • creekster
    It is NOT a monkey!
    • Nov 2008
    • 22661

    #976
    Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    i haven't mentioned this mistake. to be clear, my position is that this so-called mistake is not only not surprising but expected. if i could make that "mistake" or you could make the same "mistake", they could make it. they only difference between a given Q12 and creekster is that they are higher up on the ladder so their decisions do indeed have a great impact. sit them in a room across from a potential MTC president, they aren't any different than you or lebowski. its not a mistake - people can lie or misrepresent who they are and we shouldn't expect dudes to uncover those untruths by some magical power.
    Well, Lebowski might swim in those waters, but I don't. ANd in any given instance they might be receiving more inspiration or direction. But only God knows for sure.
    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69705

      #977
      Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
      can you point to a mistake comparable to this in modern church history?
      Sure. There was a GA (Seventy) that was found guilty of molesting a 12-yr-old girl and was excommunicated.



      There was also an apostle in 1943 who was exed for adultery.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • old_gregg
        scaly man fish
        • Nov 2009
        • 16915

        #978
        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        Sure. There was a GA (Seventy) that was found guilty of molesting a 12-yr-old girl and was excommunicated.



        There was also an apostle in 1943 who was exed for adultery.
        both were summarily exed
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

        Comment

        • Jeff Lebowski
          Corporate lackey for Jesus
          • Nov 2008
          • 69705

          #979
          Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
          both were summarily exed
          You don't think Bishop will be exed?
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

          Comment

          • smokymountainrain
            Impressive Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 22593

            #980
            Originally posted by creekster View Post
            Well, Lebowski might swim in those waters, but I don't. ANd in any given instance they might be receiving more inspiration or direction. But only God knows for sure.
            I'm fairly certain lebowski does indeed swim in those waters, and i have a feeling your humility is representative of who you are as well.
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

            Comment

            • creekster
              It is NOT a monkey!
              • Nov 2008
              • 22661

              #981
              Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
              both were summarily exed
              WHich has zero bearing on the argument that we were having or the one that you recast.
              PLesa excuse the tpyos.

              Comment

              • old_gregg
                scaly man fish
                • Nov 2009
                • 16915

                #982
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                You don't think Bishop will be exed?
                i think he will be. but that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t have been 20+ years ago, when by his admission he brought these matters before at least some regional authorities.
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69705

                  #983
                  Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                  i think he will be. but that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t have been 20+ years ago, when by his admission he brought these matters before at least some regional authorities.
                  Agreed. But that is a different issue.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • Donuthole
                    Official Outgayer
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 25268

                    #984
                    Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                    i think he will be. but that doesn’t mean he shouldn’t have been 20+ years ago, when by his admission he brought these matters before at least some regional authorities.
                    Sorry, self-serving admissions aren't really admissions. We don't know to what extent he copped to anything.
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                    There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                    Comment

                    • wuapinmon
                      Soul Plumber
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 30711

                      #985
                      Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                      I don't understand why THIS mistake is out of bounds. A woman in our branch told us of her brother who was raped by a scoutmaster on his first summer camp. The brother reported it, the scoutmaster denied it, and the leaders did nothing . . . . . until another boy reported being raped by the same scoutmaster a few years later. Why did those leaders call the scoutmaster? Why didn't God intervene? Are sister missionaries in the MTC somehow more important than boy scouts?
                      Because this brings into full focus the elephant in the room.
                      "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                      The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69705

                        #986
                        Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                        As will I. I love all of you and despite feeling pretty strongly wish I hadn’t gotten into the fray on this one.
                        No worries, HFN. Love you, man.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • clackamascoug
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2009
                          • 9709

                          #987
                          Testimony Time.

                          I know the Spirit is a real thing. The whispering, the notions, and the feeling of peace and comfort in times of need. When a child or adult is confirmed a member of the church in Sacrament I feel the Holy Ghost as if I was sitting in the chair and hands are placed on my head. When I've confirmed the gift of the Holy Ghost on occasion, I feel The Spirit from the tip of my head and exit through my fingers onto the head of the recipient. Once might be a fluke - but I've given more than a one hundred blessings in my life and I've felt the Spirit every single time. You can question a lot of things in this life, and you can question the arbitration of God about small details, but you can't deny your own Spiritual experiences in the light of information about a horn dog president with a penchant for boobs with a name tag. Shit happens - sometimes children die in pools - sometimes they live - and we bury the dead and like pioneer children we walk and walk and walk until we can walk no more.

                          Comment

                          • smokymountainrain
                            Impressive Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 22593

                            #988
                            Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                            As will I. I love all of you and despite feeling pretty strongly wish I hadn’t gotten into the fray on this one.
                            fair, but i for one, am glad you jumped in.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

                            Comment

                            • Moliere
                              One man.....one pie
                              • Oct 2009
                              • 27882

                              #989
                              Originally posted by creekster View Post
                              That seems like an odd take. All of their deicison tend to be ones that affect a lot of memebrs. So, as a consequence, any mistake they might make will likely afect a lot of mebers and possibly in some bad ways.

                              Why are you and others willing to allow for a lot of mistakes, but not this one? How can you call this out as being so unique?
                              FTR, I’m allowing for this mistake as well as many others. I’m just trying to point out that these types of thing are what drives me to discount their counsel from being straight from the mouth of god to that of a wise and sometimes heavenly inspired person.

                              As a youth I was taught that what the prophet says in Conference is what God would say if he were speaking. I don’t believe that anymore, which has changed the way I view conference and why I feel no guilt sleeping through most of it.

                              When the prophet says that gay sex is sinful, even within the bonds of marriage, I’m open to the idea that the prophet is wrong and I discount what he’s saying...because he’s not infallible.


                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                              Comment

                              • Northwestcoug
                                Cocked and Loaded
                                • May 2011
                                • 18026

                                #990
                                Really good discussion the last couple of days. I'm probably repeating what has already been said, but:

                                For my part, the reason why this is hitting a nerve with some and not as much with others is how close home it hits. I said before that when Pinegar was my MTC president, he made reference to a pres who had seen in vision a whole host of demons ready to attack (?) the missionaries in the MTC. The only reason why they were being held back was the stripling warriors were standing in their way. The MTC was such a spiritual place for me that I didn't doubt that story in the least. I held Pinegar on a very high pedestal, as the majority of missionaries did then and most likely do now with the current president. He was a GA, if not in name then certainly in spirit. I would not have doubted in the slightest that he had seen Jesus. If we were filling out a bracket, his ranking would be just a little lower than then prophet and apostles. And so when we hear an MTC president has likely committed sexual assault more than once, it is definitely jarring.

                                The argument that JL and others are making is valid, up to a point. There was an apostle right after Kimball was ordained to the 12 who was exed for adultery or something like that. Reading Kimball's biography, he as well as everyone in the 12 were shocked. They had no idea. He had performed his apostolic duties for years while having an affair. They weren't omniscient enough to see what was going on underneath their noses. But stepping outside of the emotional state the vast majority of members have of the GAs, it is easy to contemplate why this would happen. If God doesn't intervene to help humanity in so many other needy causes, why would he care about a single person having an affair?

                                But this is how the majority of members view the church leadership. They have significant scriptural and cultural underpinnings that lead them to believe that the leadership has much more access to inspiration than the rest of the membership. I remember Brent Metcalf making a very emotional point in his Mormon stories interview. He knew a couple of people who were killed by Hoffman. A huge problem for him was that these bombings could have been prevented if the first presidency had access to inspiration. If God had told one of those leaders, 'psst. Hey, these documents are fake', Hoffman's trajectory would have been stopped cold. And even if you believe that leaders don't commune with god directly and just have similar promptings as a simple member, all it would have taken was a simple whispering of the spirit to stop them from buying the fake documents. Had they had access to this or even listened to a prompting, two people would have not been killed.

                                Metcalf's point really cuts through a lot of what has been discussed here. The Hoffman affair provided a clear example of how inspiration could have averted a terrible outcome for 2 people and their families. God knew the documents are fake, and certainly he knew what transpired next would be tragic. Forget about the headache Hoffman caused for the entire church. This was a point in time where a simple prompting would have avoided catastrophe for two families. If the prophet and apostles can't help prevent something as tragic as innocent people being killed when it is in their power to do so, then it shouldn't be surprising to others when they question just exactly what level of inspiration leaders have access to.

                                But yeah, a lot of unchecked evil goes on in this world. If god intervenes to prevent 2 people getting killed and not does nothing for others, then that would certainly make him an unjust god. But it is taught that he does favor his people, and he communes with his leaders regularly. This is dissonance that we shouldn't be surprised makes people question the practical value of priesthood authority, and the level of inspiration in the church
                                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                                - SeattleUte

                                Comment

                                Working...