Mormon WikiLeaks (MormonLeaks)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69716

    #1021
    Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    My 13 year old son watches these comedic YouTubes called “Adam Ruins Everything.” Sometimes here I feel like I’m that guy. But like Adam, I’m only ever trying to help. I’m glad you have all had a good discussin, but if I may, I think you’re asking the wrong question in even addressing the supernatural.

    Harari, the author of Homo Deus and Sapiens, takes a very expansive view of what is a “religion”. In his view, any ideology or even abstraction that brings a group of humans together to cooperate toward a value system is a religion. So, Mormonism, Communism, Capitalism, human rights, liberal humanism, fascism, corporations, legal codes, environmentalism, “dataism,” and much more are all religions. Obviously, he’s totally non-judgmental in identifying what is a religion. I don’t have a problem with this, but if to you religion has to connote belief in god, I submit this construct still helps in a discussion such as this.

    Harari in Homo Deus raises the question, why are some religions more successful than others at different times? It completely depends, he submits, on which religion is best answering the big questions of the day. Capitalism, he submits, is the most successful religion of all time (Harari is a vegan who believes that the agricultural revolution was a catastrophe for the planet overall including humans). Why? Capitalism is the only religion that has figured out how to create value (and value creation not value distribution is the real economic problem).

    So, how well do LDS leaders answer the big questions of the day? About value creation, sex, LGBT rights, women (arguably the most oppressed of all time), data, technology, the environment? For all this power of “revelation” why are they almost always late to social progress?
    You don't ruin anything. Knock it off.

    Hey, I read Sapiens on your recommendation. Harari is great when he is recounting history and biology, but when he starts opining or getting philosophical, he is less interesting and sometimes just goofy. For example, his capitalism = religion was a huge stretch for me. And anything he said about animals was way over the top. As a result, I couldn't muster the energy to read Homo Deus.

    Also, happy birthday!
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69716

      #1022
      Originally posted by creekster View Post
      I can recall the names of just about everyone in my MTC district, including 2 of our 3 instructors. I have zero recollection of even being organized in branches. Were we, back in the dark ages? If so, I have zero memory of any branch presidency. But I do recall the MTC president was Joe J. Christensen, who I liked very much, although I don't think he ever spoke to me or acknowledged me individually. But I never liked hanging around authority figures, so that may be why.
      Same for me!
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • Commando
        Explosivo
        • Feb 2009
        • 20748

        #1023
        Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        I've thought about this over the past week quite a bit. I believe I have a better-than-average memory, so I don't hold people to my standard when it comes to stuff like this (even though that is tempting--especially when my client is being deposed and I know the GeeDee answer and my client doesn't, and I didn't even go through whatever is being questioned. I digress.) I remember a lot of things about the MTC. Tons of things. Minute details, down to the names of the Elders in my District, my teachers and where they served their missions, my branch presidency members and what they did for a living, etc. But for the life of me, I can't remember who the MTC pres was. That said, how well someone remembers (or doesn't) remember the MTC pres is pretty irrelevant as it pertains to this discussion. And I'm certain I would remember his name if I had any sort of meaningful interactions with him during my stay there.
        #metoo. He may have given the welcome address and opened the devotionals, but that isn't enough exposure to really be memorable. I remember which general authorities gave talks while I was there, but no way I'd remember the MTC president. That's just a bridge too far- especially when that place just has thousands of missionaries bustling around. Just a weird place and time, thinking back on it. I start to cringe too much if I think too hard about how I was or what I thought was cool, or even my preconceptions about how I'd be as a missionary and how I should be preparing (all of which I remember clear as day, but zero recall of the President)
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

        Comment

        • The_Tick
          Made something of myself
          • Nov 2008
          • 7295

          #1024
          Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
          Were you there for 3 or 8 weeks? For 8 weeks I heard Pinegar on the intercom daily saying he loved me. You don't forget service like that!
          I was there for 10 days only. There was a snafu with the transfer schedule in my mission. So I got a bunch of the 1st discussion, two days of the 2nd discussion and that was it.

          I don't remember the Branch President either. All I know is that it was a long 10 days.

          Comment

          • Pelado
            Bald not naked
            • Sep 2010
            • 21143

            #1025
            Originally posted by Commando View Post
            #metoo. He may have given the welcome address and opened the devotionals, but that isn't enough exposure to really be memorable. I remember which general authorities gave talks while I was there, but no way I'd remember the MTC president. That's just a bridge too far- especially when that place just has thousands of missionaries bustling around. Just a weird place and time, thinking back on it. I start to cringe too much if I think too hard about how I was or what I thought was cool, or even my preconceptions about how I'd be as a missionary and how I should be preparing (all of which I remember clear as day, but zero recall of the President)
            The GA's that were most memorable to me were Neal A. Maxwell and pre-Q12 Dieter Uchtdorf. I've got a notebook somewhere of all the notes I took from all the GA addresses. Maybe I'll get that out one of these days.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

            Comment

            • Pelado
              Bald not naked
              • Sep 2010
              • 21143

              #1026
              Just tried looking for a list of past presidents of the Provo MTC. My Google skills have failed me.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

              Comment

              • The_Tick
                Made something of myself
                • Nov 2008
                • 7295

                #1027
                Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                The GA's that were most memorable to me were Neal A. Maxwell and pre-Q12 Dieter Uchtdorf. I've got a notebook somewhere of all the notes I took from all the GA addresses. Maybe I'll get that out one of these days.
                We had one member of the Q12 show up to speak on Thanksgiving Day. I don't remember which one it was though.

                But I do remember that the teenager from "On our Way Home" was in the MTC the same time that I was. They played that video and had him stand up to recognize him. LDS famous and all.

                Comment

                • falafel
                  loves to talk on things
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 37987

                  #1028
                  Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                  We had one member of the Q12 show up to speak on Thanksgiving Day. I don't remember which one it was though.

                  But I do remember that the teenager from "On our Way Home" was in the MTC the same time that I was. They played that video and had him stand up to recognize him. LDS famous and all.
                  On The Way Home? I had a crush on the blonde sister missionary.

                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                  Dig your own grave, and save!

                  "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                  "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • Donuthole
                    Official Outgayer
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 25268

                    #1029
                    Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                    We had one member of the Q12 show up to speak on Thanksgiving Day. I don't remember which one it was though.

                    But I do remember that the teenager from "On our the Way Home" was in the MTC the same time that I was. They played that video and had him stand up to recognize him. LDS famous and all.
                    Scott. Real baller that Scott. The dad from that movie still pops up on TV now and then. And occasionally in a movie.
                    Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                    There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                    Comment

                    • Northwestcoug
                      Cocked and Loaded
                      • May 2011
                      • 18029

                      #1030
                      I know for certain DHO came to speak. And my memory is failing, but I think Maxwell came also. Steven Covey talked to us twice, and I think one time was a last-minute thing because of a cancellation. He had his wife come up and sing an impromptu piece, I think to instill upon our young minds the importance of always being prepared. I was not impressed with him, but I had a Covey day planner!

                      Other than those, there were a couple of 70s who came to talk to us. I just can't remember those.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

                      Comment

                      • Eddie
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2009
                        • 8098

                        #1031
                        Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                        Am I the only one who has no idea who the President was of the MTC when they were there?

                        Shoot...I can only name one member of the district that I was in, and that's only because he was my comp.
                        Mine was George Durrant. I remember because both before and since I've heard him speak at a couple of firesides and read one or two of this books and I think he's great.

                        Comment

                        • The_Tick
                          Made something of myself
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 7295

                          #1032
                          Anyone else there November 93?...besides DT that is. Lol.

                          Comment

                          • Northwestcoug
                            Cocked and Loaded
                            • May 2011
                            • 18029

                            #1033
                            Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                            Scott. Real baller that Scott. The dad from that movie still pops up on TV now and then. And occasionally in a movie.
                            Loved that show. The scene with the dad in the homeless shelter always got me right there in the feels...
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

                            Comment

                            • falafel
                              loves to talk on things
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 37987

                              #1034
                              Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                              Loved that show. The scene with the dad in the homeless shelter always got me right there in the feels...
                              What is it with these dogooders?!
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                              Dig your own grave, and save!

                              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                              Comment

                              • Donuthole
                                Official Outgayer
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 25268

                                #1035
                                Just watched the opening scene. I remember as an 8th grader thinking the basketball scenes were pretty bad, but I don't think I realized just how bad. Wow.
                                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                                There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                                Comment

                                Working...