Mormon WikiLeaks (MormonLeaks)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • falafel
    loves to talk on things
    • Mar 2009
    • 37986

    #661
    Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
    Sure Kelly, Dehlin, etc. engaged in high profile actions that were actively trying to lead church members in a direction contrary to church leadership and doctrine. Bishop didn't try to lead the church members as a whole against leadership and doctrine. Bishop did though with the individuals he interacted with attempt to lead them in a direction contrary to church leadership and doctrine. His actions with each woman that he groomed and abused is just as much going to lead those people into "Apostacy" as Dehlin and Kelly.

    So is the counting and ranking now, the number of people lead into Apostacy? You don't think the church itself can send a message that, we support both macro and micro attempts to lead people into Apostacy. You don't think the church can send a message under its "zero tolerance for abuse policy" that people that use the church to abuse people will have no place in it?
    I disagree that Bishop was leading people to apostasy, although I understand your point.

    Regardless, I'm not advocating some kind of rankng system, and I don't think a ranking is necessary if you are excommunicating some and not others.
    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

    Dig your own grave, and save!

    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

    Comment

    • falafel
      loves to talk on things
      • Mar 2009
      • 37986

      #662
      Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
      Then you have to be against excommunication in each and every instance and cannot make the exception for Apostacy or those trying to lead members into Apostacy.
      I think it we should apply some libertarian principles here. If you are messing with your own relationship with God, no excommunication. If you are messing with others' relationships with God, you can be exed.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

      Dig your own grave, and save!

      "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

      "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

      Comment

      • smokymountainrain
        Impressive Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 22593

        #663
        Originally posted by falafel View Post
        I think it we should apply some libertarian principles here. If you are messing with your own relationship with God, no excommunication. If you are messing with others' relationships with God, you can be exed.
        would the victim(s) in this case count as "others"?
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

        Comment

        • jay santos
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 13652

          #664
          Originally posted by falafel View Post
          I think it we should apply some libertarian principles here. If you are messing with your own relationship with God, no excommunication. If you are messing with others' relationships with God, you can be exed.
          Not to go slippery slope on you, but I have heard of case of excommunication of someone in a relatively low profile calling, ie below bishop, because their sins messed with others' relationship with God. Others meaning fellow ward members, not anyone involved in the excommunicable sin.
          Last edited by jay santos; 03-22-2018, 01:25 PM.

          Comment

          • HuskyFreeNorthwest
            Time to camp
            • Nov 2008
            • 26082

            #665
            Originally posted by falafel View Post
            I disagree that Bishop was leading people to apostasy, although I understand your point.

            Regardless, I'm not advocating some kind of rankng system, and I don't think a ranking is necessary if you are excommunicating some and not others.
            Originally posted by falafel View Post
            I think it we should apply some libertarian principles here. If you are messing with your own relationship with God, no excommunication. If you are messing with others' relationships with God, you can be exed.
            I would say that someone using a highly esteemed position of power inside the church, to gain sexual contact from someone who believes that person has been assigned by revelation from God to lead/oversee messing with that person's relationship with God and possibly leading them to apostatize.

            You are trying so hard to be the contrarian viewpoint in this. At least be contrarian for something fun, not a predator who uses his church power to do it. Go troll pro-Trump stuff in one of the 18 Trump threads. Most of the same people will reply to you there.
            Get confident, stupid
            -landpoke

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69698

              #666
              Originally posted by falafel View Post
              I disagree that Bishop was leading people to apostasy, although I understand your point.

              Regardless, I'm not advocating some kind of rankng system, and I don't think a ranking is necessary if you are excommunicating some and not others.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • Jarid in Cedar
                CS Institutional Memory
                • Jun 2009
                • 13234

                #667
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Yeah, ground up chick peas/fava bean is tripling down on moron, jackass, or both
                "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                -Rick Majerus

                Comment

                • RC Vikings
                  Known Heterosexual
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 8789

                  #668
                  Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                  I grew up with a best friend who was from a very Catholic family, I didn't understand what it meant at the time but I remember before I left on my mission my friends dad made a wisecrack about how the biggest difference between Catholicism and Mormonism is that Catholics claim their leader is infallible, but none of them believe it, Mormons claim their leaders are just human and make mistakes, but none of them believe it.

                  I think when things like this happens some members of the church dig in so hard because of the "prophet can never lead us astray" doctrine a lot of us grew up with.
                  That's good.

                  Comment

                  • Moliere
                    One man.....one pie
                    • Oct 2009
                    • 27880

                    #669
                    2 inches?
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                    Comment

                    • old_gregg
                      scaly man fish
                      • Nov 2009
                      • 16915

                      #670
                      Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                      2 inches?
                      he was flaccid. you try doing better when you’re pushing rope.
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                      Comment

                      • creekster
                        It is NOT a monkey!
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 22661

                        #671
                        I think Santos is on to something and I very much like the line he is drawing between apostasy/heresy and sin. I think it would be a great way to approach it. But, the fact is, this is not how the church approaches it now. If this guy has not been disciplined previously, and in light of what are apparent admissions to egregious misconduct as the MTC president and elsewhere, I can't imagine how he is not excommunicated.

                        I suppose there might be some mitigation involved based on how long ago the offenses too place, his repentant attitude and possibly his lack of misconduct since the offenses, but even allowing for that, under the current approach, I just can't imagine how this does not warrant excommunication.

                        The entire episode is very, very sad. I hope the victim can find peace in her mind and heart.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                        Comment

                        • Northwestcoug
                          Cocked and Loaded
                          • May 2011
                          • 18025

                          #672
                          Welcome back, Creek!
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

                          Comment

                          • SeattleUte
                            Faith crisis consultant
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 20837

                            #673
                            Is anyone surprised that this type of thing doesn’t happen or get exposed more often? All these revered and all-powerful male clerics in a rigidly hierarchical organization charged with in private interrogating and probing women and girls (and men and boys) of all ages about their intimate sexual lives (including masturbation). Seems like a setting ripe for grooming. This setting has occurred many millions of times, and continues to occur daily, over and over again. There must be something about the institution that suppresses in some way (including choices on the part of the victimized) disclosure or self-advocacy on the part of the victims.
                            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                            --Jonathan Swift

                            Comment

                            • Jeff Lebowski
                              Corporate lackey for Jesus
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 69698

                              #674
                              Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                              Is anyone surprised that this type of thing doesn’t happen or get exposed more often? All these revered and all-powerful male clerics in a rigidly hierarchical organization charged with in private interrogating and probing women and girls (and men and boys) of all ages about their intimate sexual lives (including masturbation). Seems like a setting ripe for grooming. This setting has occurred many millions of times, and continues to occur daily, over and over again. There must be something about the institution that suppresses in some way (including choices on the part of the victimized) disclosure or self-advocacy on the part of the victims.
                              Dude, you should see what has been going on in Hollywood.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                              Comment

                              • falafel
                                loves to talk on things
                                • Mar 2009
                                • 37986

                                #675
                                Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                                I would say that someone using a highly esteemed position of power inside the church, to gain sexual contact from someone who believes that person has been assigned by revelation from God to lead/oversee messing with that person's relationship with God and possibly leading them to apostatize.

                                You are trying so hard to be the contrarian viewpoint in this. At least be contrarian for something fun, not a predator who uses his church power to do it. Go troll pro-Trump stuff in one of the 18 Trump threads. Most of the same people will reply to you there.
                                What?! I'm not even trying, let alone trying hard!
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                                Dig your own grave, and save!

                                "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                                "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                                Comment

                                Working...