Mormon WikiLeaks (MormonLeaks)

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Uncle Ted
    The Big 12 money shot.
    • Apr 2010
    • 28853

    #631
    Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
    I suspected that the statute of limitations was different back in 1984. The clock stops when you're out of state. Where Bishop lives in Arizona, has he spent 4 years in Utah since 1984? Obviously he spent a couple more years as MTC President Provo.
    I wonder if the statute of limitations applies... So she apparently did talk to the police or at least her bishop (who should have reported it to the police) within the statute of limitations. The case for whatever reason was closed. But now there is new evidence. Couldn't they just open the old case? Come on you damn lawyers... give us the answer.
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

    Comment

    • jay santos
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 13652

      #632
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      OK, I agree that ranking things is kind of dumb. Good point.

      But don't you think certain things are so egregious and so damning to the church that a severe response isn't warranted? I think goes waaaaaay beyond punishing a sinner.
      It's not like my most burning issue, but no I don't think excommunication should be a response to sin. Not allowing callings, definitely. Banning someone from attending or stepping on Church property, I could see that. Excommunication just seems like something that should go away to me.

      Comment

      • old_gregg
        scaly man fish
        • Nov 2009
        • 16915

        #633
        Originally posted by falafel View Post
        Angling to become fb friends with funk with this kind of post.
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

        Comment

        • Northwestcoug
          Cocked and Loaded
          • May 2011
          • 18021

          #634
          Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
          if you disagree with the premise that excommunication should never occur for non apostasy reasons, that’s a different matter.
          JS staking out the 'no excommunication even for rape or murder' area here. I think he has sole claim to it so far.
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

          Comment

          • MartyFunkhouser
            Disciple of RNGesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 18750

            #635
            Originally posted by jay santos View Post
            None of this has anything to do with my point which is that excommunication is not simply a thing where they rank all the sins and ex for the very worst.
            It isn't and nor is my point that we rank the sins and ex for the very worst either. I think what we are actually looking at here is what actions are most damaging to the church. You seem to understand and at least accept that excommunication the Dehlin, Snuffer, Kelly, Runnel types has some value because they are engaging in actions that damage the church. Well, what Joseph Bishop did is significantly more damaging to the church than anything those 4 did. He covertly operated within the structure of the church to hurt other people to satisfy his own desires. His actions have the potential for more damage to individual church members and institutional damage.
            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
            --Kendrick Lamar

            Comment

            • HuskyFreeNorthwest
              Time to camp
              • Nov 2008
              • 26082

              #636
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              I am against most disciplinary councils, but 100% supportive in a case like this. Good grief, you have a man using his position of power in the church to abuse young women. If that doesn't warrant a severe reaction from the church, nothing does.
              I grew up with a best friend who was from a very Catholic family, I didn't understand what it meant at the time but I remember before I left on my mission my friends dad made a wisecrack about how the biggest difference between Catholicism and Mormonism is that Catholics claim their leader is infallible, but none of them believe it, Mormons claim their leaders are just human and make mistakes, but none of them believe it.

              I think when things like this happens some members of the church dig in so hard because of the "prophet can never lead us astray" doctrine a lot of us grew up with.
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

              Comment

              • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                Time to camp
                • Nov 2008
                • 26082

                #637
                Originally posted by falafel View Post
                Angling to become fb friends with funk with this kind of post.
                Before I quit FB I was already friends with him, #squad
                Get confident, stupid
                -landpoke

                Comment

                • jay santos
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 13652

                  #638
                  Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                  It isn't and nor is my point that we rank the sins and ex for the very worst either. I think what we are actually looking at here is what actions are most damaging to the church. You seem to understand and at least accept that excommunication the Dehlin, Snuffer, Kelly, Runnel types has some value because they are engaging in actions that damage the church. Well, what Joseph Bishop did is significantly more damaging to the church than anything those 4 did. He covertly operated within the structure of the church to hurt other people to satisfy his own desires. His actions have the potential for more damage to individual church members and institutional damage.
                  That's not how you framed it. You framed it the same way I've heard Dehlin frequently frame it. List of sins. What is worse? ie morally worse not "worse for the Church" or "fits a definition the Church has set", etc. Then you get to beat up the church for having such a twisted prioritizing of what sins are most serious.
                  Last edited by jay santos; 03-22-2018, 11:43 AM.

                  Comment

                  • MartyFunkhouser
                    Disciple of RNGesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 18750

                    #639
                    Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                    That's not how you framed it. You framed it the same way I've heard Dehlin frequently frame it. List of sins. What is worse? ie morally worse not "worse for the Church" or "fits a definition the Church has set", etc. Then you get to beat up the church for having such a twisted prioritizing of what sins are most serious.
                    Jay stop fucking lumping me in with Dehlin, it is both inaccurate and unfair. I have given the church nothing but passes on this and have focused in on what needs to do to change the institution to prevent this type of thing for happening. Excommunication is often about sending a message. Kate Kelly was excommunicated to send a message. Runnels was excommunicated to send a message. Dehlin was excommunicated to send a message. You don't excommunicate this asshole, you send a huge message. It is about the message being sent, not the prioritization of sins. I said in my post, the church has excommunication and you have to consider the message it sends if you don't ex this guy.
                    As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                    --Kendrick Lamar

                    Comment

                    • Uncle Ted
                      The Big 12 money shot.
                      • Apr 2010
                      • 28853

                      #640
                      Yet another interesting interview that doesn't paint a very good picture of JLB... apparently he had to reach a settlement while at Webber Stake for discrimination:

                      http://thoughtsonthingsandstuff.com/...seph-l-bishop/
                      "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                      Comment

                      • jay santos
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 13652

                        #641
                        Originally posted by MartyFunkhouser View Post
                        Jay stop fucking lumping me in with Dehlin, it is both inaccurate and unfair. I have given the church nothing but passes on this and have focused in on what needs to do to change the institution to prevent this type of thing for happening. Excommunication is often about sending a message. Kate Kelly was excommunicated to send a message. Runnels was excommunicated to send a message. Dehlin was excommunicated to send a message. You don't excommunicate this asshole, you send a huge message. It is about the message being sent, not the prioritization of sins. I said in my post, the church has excommunication and you have to consider the message it sends if you don't ex this guy.
                        It's hard not to lump you in (on this point!) when you're using the same logic from the same memes they are, creating a straw man about excommunication being about "seriousness of sin" and then beating it up. I'm surprised you didn't include the same graphic they all were passing around.

                        Comment

                        • jay santos
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 13652

                          #642
                          Another twist. https://twitter.com/jonesnews/status/976647088984346624

                          She accused him of actual rape in the BYU police report. Why is Provo City Policy saying statute of limitations ran out?

                          Comment

                          • Pelado
                            Bald not naked
                            • Sep 2010
                            • 21139

                            #643
                            Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                            It's hard not to lump you in (on this point!) when you're using the same logic from the same memes they are, creating a straw man about excommunication being about "seriousness of sin" and then beating it up. I'm surprised you didn't include the same graphic they all were passing around.
                            I haven't seen the graphic, but (and this is difficult) funk does have a point. Here's what funk actually wrote leading up to his comparisons between Bishop's alleged actions and the recent excommunicants:

                            The LDS church does excommunicate people. What is going on now is high profile and people will look at what happens and the message it sends. Look at the recent excommunications (and assume that all of them are fully justified)
                            That doesn't sound so unreasonable to me.

                            It's not really a question of what is the more grievous sin - it's about the message the church is sending. The church excommunicated Kelly, Snuffer, et. al. at least in part to send a message to the membership that those individuals were dealing in false doctrine and should not be trusted. If they're going to send a message about not trusting someone, I'd definitely want added to the list someone who abuses his position of priesthood influence to seduce and/or abuse women.
                            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                            - Goatnapper'96

                            Comment

                            • Pelado
                              Bald not naked
                              • Sep 2010
                              • 21139

                              #644
                              Originally posted by jay santos View Post
                              Another twist. https://twitter.com/jonesnews/status/976647088984346624

                              She accused him of actual rape in the BYU police report. Why is Provo City Policy saying statute of limitations ran out?
                              They said the statute of limitations in force at the time of the alleged incident was only 4 years.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

                              Comment

                              • jay santos
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 13652

                                #645
                                Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                                They said the statute of limitations in force at the time of the alleged incident was only 4 years.
                                Wow, how could rape have statute of limitations of four years. Darn.

                                Comment

                                Working...