The June 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I have no idea about your LDS pedigree. But those like 3D and FMCoug who didn't arrive at the LDS Church following seven generations of devout membership have no idea the psychic scars and wounds some of us bear.
    You should read this great talk by President Hinckley. Something to think about.

I thought of an experience I had long, long ago. In the summer we lived on a farm. We had a little old tractor. There was a dead tree I wished to pull. I fastened one end of a chain to the tractor and the other end to the tree. As the tractor began to move, the tree shook a little, and then the chain broke.

I looked at that broken link and wondered how it could have given way. I went to the hardware store and bought a repair link. I put it together again, but it was an awkward and ugly connection. The chain was never, never the same.

As I sat in the celestial room of the temple pondering these things, I said to myself, “Never permit yourself to become a weak link in the chain of your generations.” It is so important that we pass on without a blemish our inheritance of body and brain and, if you please, faith and virtue untarnished to the generations who will come after us.

You young men and you young women, most of you will marry and have children. Your children will have children, as will the children who come after them. Life is a great chain of generations that we in the Church believe must be linked together.

I fear there will be some broken links. Do not let yourself become such, I pray.

Stay close to the Church. Stay close all of your lives. It really does not matter where you serve, what office you fill. There is no small or unimportant duty in this Church and in the kingdom of God.

http://speeches.byu.edu/?act=viewitem&id=342

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
      You should read this great talk by President Hinckley. Something to think about.

So, if you become one of the most beloved prophets of the restoration, does that just blemish the rest of your chain? No one likes a stand out; for better or worse.
      I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
        they tried that with groups like WAVE and other organizations, but they got absolutely no response from the Mormon community or the corporate church. We can criticize OW for their approach, and tactics, but for a year's worth of activity they produced some serious results. Never underestimate the power of a fringe group that demands to be heard.
        Good point.
        Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
        You really think that Queer Nation and Act Up were more instrumental than images of say, a pair of 60-year old lesbians who have been monogamous for 40 years wanting to will their property to each other? I think Queer Nation delayed the marriage question for 10 years.
        I think we need more time to pass before we can really start to unravel the real watershed moments in the gay-rights movement, and the SSM movement within the movement; after all, it's all ongoing. However, I have no problem putting all of those mentioned parties within the category of "organized minority". Malcolm X, MLK, & RFK all had different conceptions of & roles in the AA Civil Rights movement, but they are broadly lumped together among the agitators for change & reform.
        "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
        -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post

I'm proud to follow the example of JS, JC, Paul, Spinoza, Thomas Paine, Nietzche, and every other "weak link" that walked away from all those prior generations of blood sweat and tears.
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

I'm proud to follow the example of JS, JC, Paul, Spinoza, Thomas Paine, Nietzche, and every other "weak link" that walked away from all those prior generations of blood sweat and tears.
            All you need is sitting bull and Dr. Martin Luther King and you could be a renegade of funk.
            "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

I agree that we should all strive to follow the example of JC. It's something I fall short of every day, yet my efforts continue.

Comment

Tell me more about Espinoza. Why am I not surprised that he walked away from blood, sweat, and what sounds like a lot of hard work?
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  Tell me more about Espinoza. Why am I not surprised that he walked away from blood, sweat, and what sounds like a lot of hard work?
                  Look, I admitted my mistake.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Originally posted by splitbamboo View Post
                    This. This is where I'd think they could get some momentum for a movement. But I guess that's not what they want.
                    http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...67#post1107767
                    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                    Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

• Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                      All you need is sitting bull and Dr. Martin Luther King and you could be a renegade of funk.

:rockon2:

Comment

• I have now had two people who work for me ask about this. One, mentioned earlier, saw it on Fox News, and the other read a blurb about it in "The Week" magazine. FWIW, both are fairly religious, one is a Catholic raised, now Presbytarian, the other Methodist. Both are female. And both sided with Sr. Kelly.

Comment

I'm sure you left SU all but I sure appreciated that.
                          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

This made me go listen to that song on Amazon. Hadn't heard it in years.

Comment

• Lest this issue go quietly into that good night..

Kate Kelly provided some explanation as to the perceived inconsistencies.
                              - When she met with her SP in December, her Bishop pretty much didn't say anything. SP dominated the conversation, as some here speculated.
                              - The May 5 meeting with the SP didn't include the Bishop, so she never met with just the Bishop regarding OW.
                              - She got an email on May 6 which basically said the SP might announce the result of the disciplinary council to "correct the public record" regarding her standing in the church. This, despite her requesting the entire thing be confidential. So, since she thought it was going to be announced at some point anyway, she released information about it.
                              - Bishop didn't request the move restriction, SP did.
                              http://ordainwomen.org/carry-on/

Overall, this smells like a SP-or-higher-ordered witchhunt. The bishop was just the guy who they had deliver the news, since no other option was available to him.

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
                                Lest this issue go quietly into that good night..

Kate Kelly provided some explanation as to the perceived inconsistencies.
                                - When she met with her SP in December, her Bishop pretty much didn't say anything. SP dominated the conversation, as some here speculated.
                                - The May 5 meeting with the SP didn't include the Bishop, so she never met with just the Bishop regarding OW.
                                - She got an email on May 6 which basically said the SP might announce the result of the disciplinary council to "correct the public record" regarding her standing in the church. This, despite her requesting the entire thing be confidential. So, since she thought it was going to be announced at some point anyway, she released information about it.
                                - Bishop didn't request the move restriction, SP did.
                                http://ordainwomen.org/carry-on/

Overall, this smells like a SP-or-higher-ordered witchhunt. The bishop was just the guy who they had deliver the news, since no other option was available to him.

This is also supported by the fact that the SP spoke in sacrament meeting in that ward after the excommunication saying that Bishop Harrison was being persecuted for doing the right thing. (SP standing up for Harrison, who did the higher leaders' dirty work.)
                                That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

Comment

Working...
                                X