No announcement yet.

Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Presiding Bishop H. David Burton voted in unanimously as the new chairman of the University of Utah Board of Trustees. SL Trib readers in complete meltdown mode.
    "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

Comment

• Originally posted by kccougar View Post
      Former Presiding Bishop H. David Burton voted in unanimously as the new chairman of the University of Utah Board of Trustees. SL Trib readers in complete meltdown mode.

Comment

• I assume job #1 is to shutter the athletics department?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
          Out stake just got approval to do a week in Carthage Jail this January! It's going to be amazing.

We considered going to California and making kids build their own ships, but the debate between the "regulars" and the "tight like into a dish-ers" kept getting pretty ugly.
          Literally Carthage Jail? Because I've been there, and it's not a theme park. Takes about 2 hours to see and read every single plaque and memorial in the place and take the tour.

Also, WTH? Illinois is not exactly a hop, skip and a jump from Las Vegas. The travel costs would be horrendous.

But, if you're going to go, make it realistic. Bring along a revolver filled with blanks, and pass around the wine (for refreshment, of course) beforehand.

Comment

• Originally posted by LVAllen View Post
            Literally Carthage Jail? Because I've been there, and it's not a theme park. Takes about 2 hours to see and read every single plaque and memorial in the place and take the tour.

Also, WTH? Illinois is not exactly a hop, skip and a jump from Las Vegas. The travel costs would be horrendous.

But, if you're going to go, make it realistic. Bring along a revolver filled with blanks, and pass around the wine (for refreshment, of course) beforehand.
            :HLS:
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Former Presiding Bishop H. David Burton voted in unanimously as the new chairman of the University of Utah Board of Trustees. SL Trib readers in complete meltdown mode.
              It IS alarming. WTF?
              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

I wonder if he will push to have the Utes refuse to play on Sunday.

Comment

• Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                  I wonder if he will push to have the Utes refuse to play on Sunday.
                  probably that and many other horrible things. don't know if Utah can survive this blow, tbh.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

• http://idahostatejournal.com/members...ac7075eff.html

Good story.
                    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• A Mormon Tycoon Wants to Build Joseph Smith’s Mega-Utopia in Vermont

http://www.bloomberg.com/features/20...mormon-utopia/

Nicole Antal, a 30-year-old librarian in Sharon, Vermont, was putting together a town report in late January when she stumbled upon a series of odd land purchases: In just three months, a Utah-based foundation had quietly bought more than 900 acres of nearby farmland, an area larger than Central Park. All of the land was either adjacent or close to the birthplace and memorial of Joseph Smith, founder of the Mormon Church. “I’ve always loved mysteries,” says Antal. “And this seemed like a good one.”
                      On the scheduled day, Antal parked her red Toyota Tacoma pickup next to a nearby bridge, known among locals for having reliable phone reception. She pulled out a Moleskine notebook, summoned her courage, and dialed Hall. They introduced themselves and talked about their respective backgrounds and interests, and then, over the span of an hour, Hall blew Antal’s mind. Yes, he said, he was planning an elaborate, 20,000-person community that would extend over four small towns, including hers, and the blueprint was based on the so-called Plat of the City of Zion, a Mormon document depicting a vision that Joseph Smith and two colleagues jotted down in 1833. And while that all sounded a bit far-fetched, Hall revealed that he already had more than 150 engineers working on technology and architecture for the project. “One hundred and fifty engineers!” says Antal. “Before then, it was all just conceptual. All of the sudden it seemed like, oh my God, this is going to happen tomorrow.”

Hall’s master plan, laid out in a 26-page single-spaced document, can be found online. The overarching mission is to achieve “global environmental balance by building a network of environmentally and socially sustainable villages, communities, and megalopolises.” The first, he says, will likely be built in Provo, where he’s also in the process of amassing 5,000 acres (and meeting with significant pushback from the community). Once that’s up and running, he’ll move on to Vermont and then across the globe.
                      One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

Woot

I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                      SU

Comment

• That was an interesting read. He wants to put 20,000 people in a square mile. By comparison, London has a density of just over 13,000 people per square mile. Count me as one to doubt the feasibility of his plan.

Comment

• I used to work with David Hall. He's a great person, and if anyone can pull it off, he can.
                          Not that, sickos.

Comment

Well? Is it the turn for the Mormon Chair?

Comment

• ryan bundy is a pro se sovereign citizen

http://koin.com/2016/07/28/ryan-bund...m_content=link
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                                ryan bundy is a pro se sovereign citizen

http://koin.com/2016/07/28/ryan-bund...m_content=link
                                I read every line of that man's lunacy. Holy shit. Is he nuts or just playing nuts or is he really that "sovereign"? Also, what does it mean for "leave to file a witness list under seal"?
                                "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Working...
                                X