Religion is Personal

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • byu71
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 22070

    #31
    Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
    I want to make it very clear that I believe that SoonerCoug actually had this alleged conversation and that his friend really does exist. I know some of you don't believe him, but I do.
    HMMM, never crossed my mind his friend didn't exist. I just don't think his friend is representitive of mormons.

    Comment

    • smokymountainrain
      Impressive Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 22593

      #32
      Originally posted by byu71 View Post
      HMMM, never crossed my mind his friend didn't exist. I just don't think his friend is representitive of mormons.
      You do understand this is SoonerCoug telling the story, right?
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

      Comment

      • SoonerCoug
        Joycelyn Elders Supporter
        • Nov 2008
        • 4680

        #33
        Originally posted by byu71 View Post
        HMMM, never crossed my mind his friend didn't exist. I just don't think his friend is representitive of mormons.
        I'd just like to point out that every one of my stories that could be independently verified was indeed independently verified or corroborated by newspaper articles.

        Also, Wally and WashingtonCoug knew me on my mission and can back-up my mission stories including stories of robbery and murder.

        Wally was the first missionary sent back to the area where two missionaries were stabbed. I'm pretty sure they chose him because he is smart, super nice, and also because he was about 6'4" and 240 pounds of pure muscle. His companion was also big or tall if I remember correctly.

        Lastly, WashingtonCoug recently posted his personal opinion of me and my work for the Lord:

        Originally posted by WashingtonCoug View Post
        I can attest to this. Sooner was one of the best missionaries in our mission and my favorite companion. Sooner tries to act like an apostate, but it's really just a facade.
        Last edited by SoonerCoug; 04-19-2012, 08:36 AM.
        That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

        http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

        Comment

        • Jacob
          Junior Member
          • Oct 2009
          • 6801

          #34
          Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
          I'm not interested in marketing or converting people. I don't care what you believe. That's one difference between you and me.
          Maybe Indy cares what you believe. But I don't. And neither do most mormons. We care as little about you as you do about us.

          If your friend is offended by your religious talk, you should refrain from discussing it with him. This is not a matter of mormon speech silencing, it is a matter of polite civilization. Some people are offended by things you say, others are not. Try not to offend those who are if you want to keep them as friends.

          Comment

          • SoonerCoug
            Joycelyn Elders Supporter
            • Nov 2008
            • 4680

            #35
            Originally posted by Jacob View Post
            Maybe Indy cares what you believe. But I don't. And neither do most mormons. We care as little about you as you do about us.

            If your friend is offended by your religious talk, you should refrain from discussing it with him. This is not a matter of mormon speech silencing, it is a matter of polite civilization. Some people are offended by things you say, others are not. Try not to offend those who are if you want to keep them as friends.
            Do you believe that Mormon speech silencing is a problem? Do you even believe it exists?

            Maybe my friend wasn't an example of it, but I think it's a very real problem.
            That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

            http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

            Comment

            • byu71
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 22070

              #36
              Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
              I'd just like to point out that every one of my stories that could be independently verified was indeed independently verified or corroborated by newspaper articles.

              Also, Wally and WashingtonCoug knew me on my mission and can back-up my mission stories including stories of robbery and murder.

              Wally was the first missionary sent back to the area where two missionaries were stabbed. I'm pretty sure they chose him because he is smart, super nice, and also because he was about 6'4" and 240 pounds of pure muscle. His companion was also big or tall if I remember correctly.

              Lastly, WashingtonCoug recently posted his personal opinion of me and my work for the Lord:



              http://cougaruteforum.com/showthread...ht=sentimental

              I said,"it never crossed my mind....". You meant this for someone else didn't you?

              Comment

              • SoonerCoug
                Joycelyn Elders Supporter
                • Nov 2008
                • 4680

                #37
                Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                I said,"it never crossed my mind....". You meant this for someone else didn't you?
                It wasn't really for you. It was for the entire community. I know some people think I'm a liar, but the reality is that I just have a better memory than most.
                That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

                http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

                Comment

                • Jacob
                  Junior Member
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 6801

                  #38
                  Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
                  Do you believe that Mormon speech silencing is a problem? Do you even believe it exists?

                  Maybe my friend wasn't an example of it, but I think it's a very real problem.
                  I do not think that it is a problem in the way that you have discussed it in this thread.

                  Comment

                  • SoonerCoug
                    Joycelyn Elders Supporter
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 4680

                    #39
                    Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                    I do not think that it is a problem in the way that you have discussed it in this thread.
                    In what way is it a problem?
                    That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

                    http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

                    Comment

                    • Indy Coug
                      Heartless Bastard
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 18747

                      #40
                      Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
                      It wasn't really for you. It was for the entire community. I know some people think I'm a liar, but the reality is that I just have a better memory than most.
                      I think you suffer from memory augmentation.
                      Everything in life is an approximation.

                      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                      Comment

                      • SoonerCoug
                        Joycelyn Elders Supporter
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 4680

                        #41
                        Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                        I think you suffer from memory augmentation.
                        This comes from you, who doubted my story about the girl dying after sharing her testimony in class about her heart problems. Remember that? Many doubted. You mocked me, and then I posted the deseret news article detailing the whole thing.

                        Oh ye of little faith.

                        I think this is the great problem with religion. (Here I am doing a little advocacy for agnosticism.) Religion confuses fantasy with fact, and so religious people no longer know what to believe. The end result is that many people believe fantasy and deny fact, and that is a dangerous thing.
                        That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

                        http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

                        Comment

                        • Indy Coug
                          Heartless Bastard
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 18747

                          #42
                          Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
                          This comes from you, who doubted my story about the girl dying after sharing her testimony in class about her heart problems. Remember that? Many doubted. You mocked me, and then I posted the deseret news article detailing the whole thing.

                          Oh ye of little faith.

                          I think this is the great problem with religion. (Here I am doing a little advocacy for agnosticism.) Religion confuses fantasy with fact, and so religious people no longer know what to believe. The end result is that many people believe fantasy and deny fact, and that is a dangerous thing.
                          It's a fact that the world is a better place when people try to be more Christlike.
                          Everything in life is an approximation.

                          http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                          Comment

                          • SoonerCoug
                            Joycelyn Elders Supporter
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 4680

                            #43
                            Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                            It's a fact that the world is a better place when people try to be more Christlike.
                            I agree with that. I just don't think one needs to invoke God to have morality or to be Christlike.
                            That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

                            http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

                            Comment

                            • wuapinmon
                              Soul Plumber
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 30711

                              #44
                              Is anyone bothered by his use of "proselytize?" Mormons use the verb "proselyte."

                              Your verb choice offends me.
                              "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                              The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                              Comment

                              • TripletDaddy
                                sweet triple
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 58186

                                #45
                                Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
                                I know some people think I'm a liar, but the reality is that I just have a better memory than most.
                                If any of you really think the SoonerCoug is prone to not telling the truth, please have the guts and integrity to confess now.

                                I have already stated that I believe SoonerCoug's yarns.
                                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...