Provo Temple II: A Fire is Burning

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69747

    #61
    Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    When did Lebowski become a flaming apologist?
    That is the second time you have posted that in a couple of days. Given your track record and the context, it is clear you consider that term to be a pejorative.

    A few months ago I witnessed an interesting exchange where John Dehlin was tossing around that label in a similar context. Given the targets, it was laughable. He just got to a point where any time someone sided with the church on any issue, out came the “apologist” insult. You seem increasingly inclined to use the same lazy tactic. Frankly, it is annoying.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • Moliere
      One man.....one pie
      • Oct 2009
      • 27898

      #62
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      That is the second time you have posted that in a couple of days. Given your track record and the context, it is clear you consider that term to be a pejorative.

      A few months ago I witnessed an interesting exchange where John Dehlin was tossing around that label in a similar context. Given the targets, it was laughable. He just got to a point where any time someone sided with the church on any issue, out came the “apologist” insult. You seem increasingly inclined to use the same lazy tactic. Frankly, it is annoying.
      I thought your post about the thriving music and arts scene in Provo was a joke. I guess it wasn't
      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

      Comment

      • HuskyFreeNorthwest
        Time to camp
        • Nov 2008
        • 26082

        #63
        Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        When did Lebowski become a flaming apologist?
        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        That is the second time you have posted that in a couple of days. Given your track record and the context, it is clear you consider that term to be a pejorative.

        A few months ago I witnessed an interesting exchange where John Dehlin was tossing around that label in a similar context. Given the targets, it was laughable. He just got to a point where any time someone sided with the church on any issue, out came the “apologist” insult. You seem increasingly inclined to use the same lazy tactic. Frankly, it is annoying.
        I was going to say about the same time you went full Dehlin, but The Dude can handle himself.
        Get confident, stupid
        -landpoke

        Comment

        • kccougar
          9262
          • Nov 2008
          • 7020

          #64
          Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          I thought your post about the thriving music and arts scene in Provo was a joke. I guess it wasn't
          Lots of local music in Provo these days. My BIL's band plays regularly at Velour.
          "It's devastating, because we lost to a team that's not even in the Pac-12. To lose to Utah State is horrible." - John White IV

          Comment

          • MartyFunkhouser
            Disciple of RNGesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 18763

            #65
            Thriving music scene in Provo. I chuckled when I thought it had to be a joke. I laughed my ass off when I realized you were being serious.

            Keep cranking up that Imagine Dragons in your car dude.
            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
            --Kendrick Lamar

            Comment

            • grapevine
              Senior Member
              • Apr 2009
              • 1992

              #66
              They made the Vernal Tabernacle a temple and other structures made into temples. Then again most tabernacles are pretty much museums so Tabernacle would of been turned into Temple anyway, as for food seems like cafeterias and laundry thing of past at most temples now. Refurbished ones took them out. So can,t go eat while spouse does something else.

              Interesting story when I went to Boise for baptisms is some group brought no members there to witness it they couldn't,t since didn,t have recommend. That would be boring anyway. Had to take food from cafeteria to them. Food in downtown restaurants much better than most temple cafeterias anyway, youth liked Golden Corral over cafeteria. Don,t know what cafeteria has best food for temples now.

              Comment

              • pellegrino
                miserere me
                • Jan 2009
                • 12100

                #67
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Given your seeming great concern for the good people of Provo (it is touching - thanks!), you will be happy to know that the Covey Center for the Arts was completed in 2007 and is a very nice venue.

                http://www.provo.org/community/covey...r-for-the-arts

                We also have the Velour Live Music Gallery that is always packed:



                The Rooftop Concert Series has been such a huge success that they can't fit on the rooftop any more:



                Thriving music scene in Provo/Orem:

                Utah’s independent news source since 1871, The Salt Lake Tribune covers news, entertainment, sports and faith for Salt Lake City and the state of Utah. (SLT)


                http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ne.html?pg=all
                what in the hell does that have to do with the tabernacle being rebuilt as a temple?
                Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                Alessandro Manzoni

                Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                pelagius

                Comment

                • clackamascoug
                  Banned
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 9709

                  #68
                  Dammit, what's the name?

                  Comment

                  • Art Vandelay
                    Striving for mediocrity
                    • Jul 2009
                    • 10516

                    #69
                    When I ponder all the wonderful memories I have of the old tabernacle…..I come up with sitting through a hot and boring stake conference there one time. I'm pretty sure i didn't even know what the building was my first couple years in Provo. From the outside it looked like a bigger version of the Ivy Tower. But I'm sure Provo's tired, poor, and especially its non-recommend holding huddled masses are distraught over the change. If I was to guess, I would imagine Nordstrom leaving the University Mall caused a 1000x more wailing and gnashing of teeth, than this did.

                    Comment

                    • scottie
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 5247

                      #70
                      Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                      Dammit, what's the name?
                      Let Me Google That For You (LMGTFY): for all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than search it for themselves.


                      The Provo City Center Temple.

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69747

                        #71
                        Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                        what in the hell does that have to do with the tabernacle being rebuilt as a temple?
                        Sorry, given your passion for the topic, I assumed you were familiar with how the old tabernacle was used. It was primarily used for only two things:

                        1) Stake conferences
                        2) Small concerts and musical events

                        So when you posted this:

                        Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                        If the temple weren't so discriminatory then you might have a point. However, you are right that the new building will serve a certain segment of the population very well.
                        I went out on a limb and assumed you weren't talking about stake conferences (non-recommend-holders lamenting not being able to go to stake conference? that's funny). As for the occasional small musical events that were for the general public, there are lots of other venues for that and all are doing well. That was my point.

                        Don't get me wrong, I would have been ecstatic had they decided to build a replica of the old tabernacle. But the new iteration will be great too, just in different ways.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • All-American
                          Right, as Usual
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 15680

                          #72
                          Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                          Dammit, what's the name?
                          Provo City Center Temple.
                          τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                          Comment

                          • scottie
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 5247

                            #73
                            Originally posted by All-American View Post
                            Provo City Center Temple.

                            Comment

                            • clackamascoug
                              Banned
                              • Dec 2009
                              • 9709

                              #74
                              Originally posted by All-American View Post
                              Provo City Center Temple.
                              Thanks AA. I appreciate it. I would have thought they would have gone for something with a little more edgy like "Provo City, Center Street, and University Ave Temple."

                              Your kindness proceeds you.

                              Comment

                              • pellegrino
                                miserere me
                                • Jan 2009
                                • 12100

                                #75
                                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Sorry, given your passion for the topic, I assumed you were familiar with how the old tabernacle was used. It was primarily used for only two things:

                                1) Stake conferences
                                2) Small concerts and musical events

                                So when you posted this:



                                I went out on a limb and assumed you weren't talking about stake conferences (non-recommend-holders lamenting not being able to go to stake conference? that's funny). As for the occasional small musical events that were for the general public, there are lots of other venues for that and all are doing well. That was my point.

                                Don't get me wrong, I would have been ecstatic had they decided to build a replica of the old tabernacle. But the new iteration will be great too, just in different ways.
                                dude, that was one hell of a non sequitur. you started by talking about how the building would be used a ton more as a temple than as a tabernacle and then use a list of "hip" activities in downtown Provo to prove your point? That makes no sense.

                                I get it that the building is going to get way more use than it probably ever has, but I don't find that to be a compelling reason to make it into a temple. Rather, I find the capitalist corporate mentality that now dominates Mormondom of squeezing the most out of every property, program, and person to be dehumanizing. We can't seem to just let buildings exist and allow free access to all because of their aesthetic value. No! We must monetize that building and endow it with a "higher" purpose of marrying people, finance, and free commerce. Let's Go Shopping! (and then hit the PCC temple for a late night endowment session). That's smart business, baby!


                                ps- don't make assumptions about who holds a recommend and who doesn't.
                                Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                                God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                                Alessandro Manzoni

                                Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                                pelagius

                                Comment

                                Working...