Provo Temple II: A Fire is Burning

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • All-American
    Right, as Usual
    • Nov 2008
    • 15664

    #31
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Wrong. This decision has nothing to do with money. People have already donated millions even though no request was made for money. Provo City also offered to take the lead on fundraising as they view it as a vital part of the city's heritage. Furthermore, I was told by a guy who works in LDS risk management that the building was insured against fire (which surprised me given that large organizations generally self-insure). The reconstruction would have been paid for.

    This never had anything to do with capacity for conferences. Of course there is plenty of other space in other buildings. It has alway been a question of preserving a historic landmark and community resource.



    No. It was being used more and more as time went on.
    It's not a question of availability of funds. It's a matter of how the church wants to use the millions of dollars committed to it to rebuild the structure. It can use the funds provided by insurance, donations, et cetera to build a big chapel, or to build a temple. The fact that funds are available only means that in terms of dollars out of the church's wallet, this may be the least expensive temple the church has ever built. The bang to buck ratio is off the chart.

    I would have preferred a restoration of the former structure, myself, but the traffic to the businesses and restaurants of the area will leave the city of Provo with little about which to complain. That doesn't mean that the reduced waiting time in the Provo temple or the extra business downtown will completely satisfy those who mourn the loss of an important piece of the civic culture which is dwindling nationally.
    τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

    Comment

    • CardiacCoug
      вот так штука
      • Nov 2008
      • 11013

      #32
      Anybody else remember going to Messiah sing-a-longs in the Provo Tabernacle as a kid? Did they still do stuff like that in the Tabernacle before it burned.

      It was pretty awesome, but I guess they can just do them in the Marriott Center or somewhere else on BYU campus.

      Comment

      • Jeff Lebowski
        Corporate lackey for Jesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 69689

        #33
        Originally posted by All-American View Post
        It's not a question of availability of funds. It's a matter of how the church wants to use the millions of dollars committed to it to rebuild the structure. It can use the funds provided by insurance, donations, et cetera to build a big chapel, or to build a temple. The fact that funds are available only means that in terms of dollars out of the church's wallet, this may be the least expensive temple the church has ever built. The bang to buck ratio is off the chart.
        It's exactly that kind of calculus that drives me nuts. I would argue that it is one of the most costly temples yet. The sad truth is that there are only a small handful of pioneer-era tabernacles left. And we just lost another.

        The bottom line is simple: the powers that be value building another temple more than restoring a cultural treasure.

        Originally posted by All-American View Post
        I would have preferred a restoration of the former structure, myself, but the traffic to the businesses and restaurants of the area will leave the city of Provo with little about which to complain. That doesn't mean that the reduced waiting time in the Provo temple or the extra business downtown will completely satisfy those who mourn the loss of an important piece of the civic culture which is dwindling nationally.
        I would wager that the majority of Provoans will be happy with the decision. That is certainly the reaction I have seen thus far. I imagine folks like me are in the minority. Oh well. I am kind of used to that.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

        Comment

        • Portland Ute
          Junior Member
          • Dec 2008
          • 5647

          #34
          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          It's exactly that kind of calculus that drives me nuts. I would argue that it is one of the most costly temples yet. The sad truth is that there are only a small handful of pioneer-era tabernacles left. And we just lost another.

          The bottom line is simple: the powers that be value building another temple more than restoring a cultural treasure.



          I would wager that the majority of Provoans will be happy with the decision. That is certainly the reaction I have seen thus far. I imagine folks like me are in the minority. Oh well. I am kind of used to that.
          I can't wait until the Kaysville Tabernacle is turned into a mini-temple! If they do this, then the Layton temple will never come to be and Kaysville will rise again! The heathens to the north shall bow in humble reverence to the great little city to the south!

          Comment

          • mtnbiker
            it's all a blur
            • Mar 2009
            • 2573

            #35
            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            The sad truth is that there are only a small handful of pioneer-era tabernacles left. And we just lost another.
            I agree with you there. I would have really liked to see the tabernacle rebuilt.

            Comment

            • Paperback Writer
              Signature won a Pulitzer
              • Nov 2010
              • 5211

              #36
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              It's exactly that kind of calculus that drives me nuts. I would argue that it is one of the most costly temples yet. The sad truth is that there are only a small handful of pioneer-era tabernacles left. And we just lost another.

              The bottom line is simple: the powers that be value building another temple more than restoring a cultural treasure.
              I wonder if the powers that be think that both are the same thing. That a cultural treasure equates to "another temple". This is the heart of Utah Country. Is not a renovated structure not also a cultural treasure when it becomes a temple?

              It's been a long time since I've walked the streets of Provo; but I doubt the mindset has changed much. In many UC peoples' view - a temple is a community building despite the fact that non-members and non-TR holding LDS are not welcome. If they don't like it, they can convert or repent.
              “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
              "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

              Comment

              • jay santos
                Senior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 13652

                #37
                I bet Smoot is going nuts with this decision.

                Comment

                • Uncle Ted
                  The Big 12 money shot.
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 28853

                  #38
                  Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                  They should do that weather vane Moroni like the Nauvoo original.
                  +1

                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • cougjunkie
                    *Banned*
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 23223

                    #39
                    Sounds like they are putting an underground parking structure where the Travelodge once was.

                    Also in the pictures they have shown the NuSkin building is gone. Did they just photoshoppe that out for aestethic purposes or does the church have some more plans?
                    *Banned*

                    Comment

                    • wuapinmon
                      Soul Plumber
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 30711

                      #40
                      "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                      The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                      Comment

                      • grapevine
                        Senior Member
                        • Apr 2009
                        • 1990

                        #41
                        Now the outside lighting is visible from the tabernacle. Hopefully it won,t burn down the building like the last lighting mistake did. Folklore was lights on when Provo Temple was closed and temple president someone called concerned said were just meeting with the Savior. That is of course not true. There are enough construction workers that anything bad happening will be quenched. I wonder if they will dedicate it when BYU and UVU are in session or they will do it between semesters, I am sure all of Utah County will get out of church for it including BYU students. And for open house will get plenty of help for it. I don,t think that Payson an that temple will put much of a dent in Provo or Mount Timpaganogas.

                        Comment

                        • Jeff Lebowski
                          Corporate lackey for Jesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 69689

                          #42
                          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Booooo!
                          I am ready to admit that I was wrong on this one. I will always mourn the loss of the old tabernacle, and I don't see this as a replacement as much as something different in the same shell. However, the new temple will be beautiful and will have a greater overall impact to the community (downtown area in particular) than the old tabernacle ever did.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                          Comment

                          • clackamascoug
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2009
                            • 9709

                            #43
                            Is there an official name yet?

                            Comment

                            • pellegrino
                              miserere me
                              • Jan 2009
                              • 12100

                              #44
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              I am ready to admit that I was wrong on this one. I will always mourn the loss of the old tabernacle, and I don't see this as a replacement as much as something different in the same shell. However, the new temple will be beautiful and will have a greater overall impact to the community (downtown area in particular) than the old tabernacle ever did.
                              Sellout!
                              Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                              God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                              Alessandro Manzoni

                              Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                              pelagius

                              Comment

                              • Jeff Lebowski
                                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 69689

                                #45
                                Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                                Sellout!
                                Ha. Like my opinion matters.

                                In the last few years, I don't recall meeting a single person in person here in Provo that shares my opinion about restoring the tabernacle. Whereas the old tabernacle was used occasionally for music/cultural events and stake conferences, the new temple will be used six days per week, primarily for weddings (my daughter wants to get married there). So in terms of what structure would have the greatest impact on the community and bring joy to the greatest number of people, they clearly made the right decision.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                                Comment

                                Working...