Uchtdorf for Prophet

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69676

    #31
    Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I want Jeff Lebowski for Prophet. I think he has the credentials. Right now. I look forward to an exciting new era of Glasnost.


    Oh the damage I could do.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • SoonerCoug
      Joycelyn Elders Supporter
      • Nov 2008
      • 4680

      #32
      Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
      I had several people in Ukraine tell me that a Fast and Testimony Meeting was very reminiscent of a Communist Party Meeting. That everybody took turns getting up and saying how great socialism was and how they were committed to the ideals of socialism/communism.
      Yeah, Russians always said the same thing. They were shocked by how similar Mormon meetings were to commie meetings--down to little details like everyone sustaining by the raise of the right hand.
      That which may be asserted without evidence may be dismissed without evidence. -C. Hitchens

      http://twitter.com/SoonerCoug

      Comment

      • oxcoug
        Dolphins Rape Hipsters
        • Dec 2009
        • 5309

        #33
        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        I suppose it might be in somewhat bad taste to pick favorite GA's, but Elder Uchtdorf is all alone in first place in my book. Both of his talks today were outstanding but I thought he really knocked it out of the park with his talk on pride in the priesthood session. Excellent topic, brilliantly worded, and delivered with just the right tone. I especially like that he avoids the dramatic pauses and the sing/song intonation. Rather than beating the guilt-inducing drum of obey-obey-obey, he inspires and motivates. I like his style.

        I have one of his ties.

        He swapped with me when he was visiting Budapest and I was on my mission. I treasure that thing.
        Ute-ī sunt fīmī differtī

        It can't all be wedding cake.

        Comment

        • creekster
          It is NOT a monkey!
          • Nov 2008
          • 22661

          #34
          Originally posted by SoonerCoug View Post
          Yeah, Russians always said the same thing. They were shocked by how similar Mormon meetings were to commie meetings--down to little details like everyone sustaining by the raise of the right hand.
          When I was a kid at the heigth of the cold war I heard many members express the thought that soviet communism was Satan's attempt at deceiving good people by coopting principles of the united order and applying them in an evil way. Little did I know old scratch had also stolen meeting ideas.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

          Comment

          • YOhio
            Hipster Mode
            • Nov 2008
            • 26165

            #35
            Originally posted by creekster View Post
            When I was a kid at the heigth of the cold war I heard many members express the thought that soviet communism was Satan's attempt at deceiving good people by coopting principles of the united order and applying them in an evil way. Little did I know old scratch had also stolen meeting ideas.
            lol. You crack me up, monkey man.

            Comment

            • Indy Coug
              Heartless Bastard
              • Dec 2008
              • 18747

              #36
              In the next 3 years in General Conference, Elder Uchtdorf is going to reiterate the high points of Elder Packer's talk. He may be more artful in how he frames it, but the points made will be the same.

              Mark it down.
              Everything in life is an approximation.

              http://twitter.com/CougarStats

              Comment

              • TripletDaddy
                sweet triple
                • Nov 2008
                • 58186

                #37
                Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                In the next 3 years in General Conference, Elder Uchtdorf is going to reiterate the high points of Elder Packer's talk. He may be more artful in how he frames it, but the points made will be the same.

                Mark it down.
                the high point of Elder Packer's talk was that God loves all of his children, so I would concur with your prediction.
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                sigpic

                Comment

                • Indy Coug
                  Heartless Bastard
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 18747

                  #38
                  Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                  In the next 3 years in General Conference, Elder Uchtdorf is going to reiterate the main talking points of Elder Packer's talk. He may be more artful in how he frames it, but the points made will be the same.

                  Mark it down.

                  Fixed it for you.
                  Everything in life is an approximation.

                  http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                  Comment

                  • BigFatMeanie
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 7113

                    #39
                    Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                    Fixed it for you.
                    Oh this really takes the cake - an FTFY response on your own post?

                    Comment

                    • Jarid in Cedar
                      CS Institutional Memory
                      • Jun 2009
                      • 13234

                      #40
                      Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                      In the next 3 years in General Conference, Elder Uchtdorf is going to reiterate the high points of Elder Packer's talk. He may be more artful in how he frames it, but the points made will be the same.

                      Mark it down.
                      There were high points?

                      My ADR6300 is having unauthorized sleepovers.
                      "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                      "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                      "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                      -Rick Majerus

                      Comment

                      • creekster
                        It is NOT a monkey!
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 22661

                        #41
                        Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                        Oh this really takes the cake - an FTFY response on your own post?
                        He's his own worst critic.
                        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                        Comment

                        • Uncle Ted
                          The Big 12 money shot.
                          • Apr 2010
                          • 28853

                          #42
                          Uchtdorf for non-profit... Unlike the other apostles that publish Dieter's kindle edition books are free:



                          http://www.amazon.com/Your-Happily-A.../dp/1606416529

                          http://www.amazon.com/Remarkable-Sou.../dp/1606412442

                          http://www.amazon.com/Forget-Me-Not-.../dp/1609071190
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                          Comment

                          • pellegrino
                            miserere me
                            • Jan 2009
                            • 12100

                            #43
                            Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                            Uchtdorf for non-profit... Unlike the other apostles that publish Dieter's kindle edition books are free:



                            http://www.amazon.com/Your-Happily-A.../dp/1606416529

                            http://www.amazon.com/Remarkable-Sou.../dp/1606412442

                            http://www.amazon.com/Forget-Me-Not-.../dp/1609071190
                            someone needs to intervene and put him next in line.
                            Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                            God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                            Alessandro Manzoni

                            Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                            pelagius

                            Comment

                            • Blueintheface
                              Senior Member
                              • Sep 2009
                              • 15382

                              #44
                              I might tune in to GC if he was elected.
                              "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                              "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                              Comment

                              • Sullyute
                                a day late/a dollar short
                                • Jul 2010
                                • 3308

                                #45
                                Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                                I might tune in to GC if he was elected.
                                How quickly the light fades.... You do realize that people other than the prophet speak at General Conference? In fact, DU already speaks a couple times as is.
                                "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

                                Comment

                                Working...