The Prime Rib (and other beef) Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #121
    Originally posted by hostile View Post
    Depends on the temp you set your oven. I like searing the meat on a high temp for 30 min or so then drop down to 225. For 7 lb I would plan on 2.5-3 hours. I take it out of the oven when the temp is about 7-10 degrees short of my goal and let it rest. I'm assuming you have a thermometer. Good luck. Folks need to post pics - maybe we can make a calendar: The Meat of CUF 2011.
    I'm taking pics as I go. Last time I seared the fatty top for 25 mins at 450 then lowered to 325 for the duration. 225 seems really slow and low but if it works, then dont change it.

    Yes, definitely invested in a Maverick remote therm for these roasts. Way too expensive to chance it, imo.

    Question on final temp.....last time I cooked to 120 then let rest until it rose to 125. Came out rare. I loved it, too rare for MMM. I am toying with going up to 130 roast then 135 rest, but I am paranoid that it will turn into a ball of browned disappointment at that temp. Am I being overly paranoid? I should probably be fine, I would think, but you only get one shot with this thing. What is your roast/rest temp and what color meat does it yield?
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • jay santos
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 13652

      #122
      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      I'm taking pics as I go. Last time I seared the fatty top for 25 mins at 450 then lowered to 325 for the duration. 225 seems really slow and low but if it works, then dont change it.

      Yes, definitely invested in a Maverick remote therm for these roasts. Way too expensive to chance it, imo.

      Question on final temp.....last time I cooked to 120 then let rest until it rose to 125. Came out rare. I loved it, too rare for MMM. I am toying with going up to 130 roast then 135 rest, but I am paranoid that it will turn into a ball of browned disappointment at that temp. Am I being overly paranoid? I should probably be fine, I would think, but you only get one shot with this thing. What is your roast/rest temp and what color meat does it yield?
      I'm worried about the same thing. I love it rare. And my boys do too. But wife and daughters are grossed out by the "blood". What makes me mad though is when they eat it they rave about how tender and delish it is, but then they complain and say they wish it was cooked more.
      Last edited by jay santos; 12-23-2011, 11:46 AM.

      Comment

      • TripletDaddy
        sweet triple
        • Nov 2008
        • 58186

        #123
        OK, first pass at some pics. 7.5 lb, 3 rib rack, bone-in, dry aged US Prime. This thing has some serious marbling going on

        Meat shot in wrapper :condom:



        Had them cut away the chine then tie it back up for me.





        Fatty side up, bone side down prior to covering with garlic coat



        Garlic coat with salt, pepper, thyme, olive oil, garlic cloves



        Just prior to putting the lid on it, getting it as close to room temp as possible for the next few hours

        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

        sigpic

        Comment

        • hostile
          lollygagger
          • Dec 2009
          • 5736

          #124
          Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
          I'm taking pics as I go. Last time I seared the fatty top for 25 mins at 450 then lowered to 325 for the duration. 225 seems really slow and low but if it works, then dont change it.

          Yes, definitely invested in a Maverick remote therm for these roasts. Way too expensive to chance it, imo.

          Question on final temp.....last time I cooked to 120 then let rest until it rose to 125. Came out rare. I loved it, too rare for MMM. I am toying with going up to 130 roast then 135 rest, but I am paranoid that it will turn into a ball of browned disappointment at that temp. Am I being overly paranoid? I should probably be fine, I would think, but you only get one shot with this thing. What is your roast/rest temp and what color meat does it yield?
          I shoot for 123-25 then take it out. It usually rises up to 130. That seems to satisfy everybody. The meat is warm/pink in the center, probably on the rare side of medium-rare.

          EDIT: As far as cook time goes I have a convection roast option so that seems to decrease the cook time.
          Last edited by hostile; 12-23-2011, 11:07 AM.
          "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

          "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69716

            #125
            Originally posted by hostile View Post
            Depends on the temp you set your oven. I like searing the meat on a high temp for 30 min or so then drop down to 225. For 7 lb I would plan on 2.5-3 hours. I take it out of the oven when the temp is about 7-10 degrees short of my goal and let it rest. I'm assuming you have a thermometer. Good luck. Folks need to post pics - maybe we can make a calendar: The Meat of CUF 2011.
            Interesting. That is lower than most instructions I read, but consistent with how I do my chuck roasts, I might give that a shot. I have read that the extra temp it raises after pulling out (7-10 deg in your example) is a function of how hot you are cooking in the first place. I would imagine that cooking at only 225 might result in less temp rise after pulling out.

            Anybody tie their roast as recommended by this site?

            Perfect prime rib roast recipe and cooking instructions. Follow the most popular and dependable guidelines to make prime rib roast dinner.


            Also, that site says to carve away all of the bones before slicing and serving. Anyone do that?

            DDD, what temp are you shooting for? Please post pics and results. TIA.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69716

              #126
              Whoa, DDD. That is a beautiful piece of meat.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • hostile
                lollygagger
                • Dec 2009
                • 5736

                #127
                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Whoa, DDD. That is a beautiful piece of meat.
                Signature quote for the calendar

                As far as cook temps go I have seen/ tried different things over the years. One method has the meat cooking at 500 for an hour then turn off the oven but keep it closed for another 5-6 hours. I think having the convection option has made a difference in the temp that I use and seems to work. I do use a similar temp for chuck roast but plan on a slightly longer cooking time and braise the meat in beer (a discussion for later after everyone is done with their prime rib)
                "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

                "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

                Comment

                • Pheidippides
                  Liberal Feminazi
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 14759

                  #128
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Whoa, DDD. That is a beautiful piece of meat.
                  Wow. Just seeing this on tapatalk made me vomit a bit.
                  Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69716

                    #129
                    Originally posted by hostile View Post
                    Signature quote for the calendar
                    Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                    Wow. Just seeing this on tapatalk made me vomit a bit.


                    Sickos!
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • TripletDaddy
                      sweet triple
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 58186

                      #130
                      Guys, can we all grow up a bit? If we can't admire each other's meat here, of all places...then where?

                      JeffLebowski, I had the butcher cut the chine bones almost entirely away, but not altogether. Then I had him tie the bones up nice and tied with butcher string. The last time I made Choice Rib, I didnt cut away the bones and it was a bit annoying trying to cut them away prior to carving once the roast was fully cooked. This time around it will be much easier. Frankly, Im not sure why the butcher didnt cut the bones away entirely and then secure them with string, given that the string will prevent the roast from sliding off the bones, but that is how he said it was supposed to be done. Im not going to argue.

                      I have decided on 130 roast, 135 rest. Please pray that my meat will be juicy.
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • FMCoug
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 6825

                        #131
                        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post


                        Sickos!
                        Buddy of mine is fixing a broken cabinet door for me. Mrs. FM and I were over at his house last night while he was working on it. He dropped a clamb on the door and said "Dang FM, I dinged your wood". That one didn't go over well either.
                        "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                        Comment

                        • TripletDaddy
                          sweet triple
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 58186

                          #132
                          Prime Rib is now in the oven. 25 minutes @ 450 degrees then drop to 325 until target temp.

                          Temp at oven insertion: 51 degrees.
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • TripletDaddy
                            sweet triple
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 58186

                            #133
                            At the 1:15 mark, temp is 78 degrees. Smells good.
                            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • Shaka
                              Senior Member
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 10450

                              #134
                              Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                              At the 1:15 mark, temp is 78 degrees. Smells good.
                              Pics!

                              Comment

                              • Pelado
                                Bald not naked
                                • Sep 2010
                                • 21142

                                #135
                                Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                                Pics!
                                Why are you always asking for pictures of DDD's meat?
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

                                Comment

                                Working...