3-2-1 method for smoked ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
    we got some char (in a bad way) on our babybacks even with foil. ribs are an expensive thing to screw up.
    Sounds like your rub has high sugar content. Or you're getting your smoker too hot. Or both. But yeah, I agree. Ribs are expensive to screw up.
    A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
      Yesterday I followed an easy recipe on Traeger's site for St. Louis ribs. It was delicious. Essentially you just use your favorite rub on a rack, let it sit in the fridge for a while, and then throw it on the smoker for 4.5 hours at 225 degrees. Spritz it with apple juice every 45 minutes or so. When the internal temp his 201 slather with your favorite sauce and let it cook for another ten minutes. Pop it out of the smoker, let it rest for ten minutes, then slice. The meat didn't fall off the bone yet pulled apart easily. A few people thought they were the best pork ribs they had ever had.

It's a nice alternative to 3-2-1.
      I'm trying this today. Applied the rub and put them in the fridge about an hour ago. About to plop them on the smoker.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• One of the great things about having a pool is holidays. MJ is inviting over a bunch of people for a pool party and has asked that I do ribs. She has no idea how many are coming so I just picked up 6 racks at Costco. I've always done the reverse of JL's method where I cook them in foil (with apple juice, honey and brown sugar) and then finish them on the grill. I was limited by my old smoker as it didn't fit a full rack (only 18.5 inches) but now that I have a Yoder I'm going to try JL's method. My old method obviously didn't have much smoke flavor but that will change come Tuesday
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
          I'm trying this today. Applied the rub and put them in the fridge about an hour ago. About to plop them on the smoker.

Turned out pretty well. My 9-year-old daughter started devouring them so quickly we had to ask her to slow down so as to avoid choking herself. My 12-year-old son said they were better than the ribs they had on his campout. My wife said they were better than what we get from a local BBQ restaurant. I've only tried making ribs one other time (which I screwed up) so this was by far the best results I've gotten.

Also did a side of smoked mac & cheese - modified a recipe from the Traeger site. The mac and cheese wasn't nearly as popular as the ribs.

"I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Turned out pretty well. My 9-year-old daughter started devouring them so quickly we had to ask her to slow down so as to avoid choking herself. My 12-year-old son said they were better than the ribs they had on his campout. My wife said they were better than what we get from a local BBQ restaurant. I've only tried making ribs one other time (which I screwed up) so this was by far the best results I've gotten.

Also did a side of smoked mac & cheese - modified a recipe from the Traeger site. The mac and cheese wasn't nearly as popular as the ribs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Great job! Glad it worked out for you.

Comment

• That's pretty close to the Car Wash Mike method I used here:

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...=1#post1116814

http://www.cougarstadium.com/showthr...=1#post1116875

I've been really happy with the results, and it's really simple. You guys are making me want to get some ribs now.
                "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• I know that ribs are best straight off the smoker, but is there a solid way to hold them for a few hours?
                  Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                    I know that ribs are best straight off the smoker, but is there a solid way to hold them for a few hours?
                    Sure. Cover them in foil and hold them at about 160°.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      I used to only foil rarely. I guess the term "texas crutch" biased me somehow. Then I binge watched several seasons of BBQ Pitmasters and discovered how the top pro cooks almost always foil. When smoking a big piece of meat (butt or brisket) you aren't adding much smoke flavor after four hours of smoke and you run the risk of occasionally going over that threshold and getting a char flavor, or drying it out. I get much more consistent results with foil.

For ribs, yeah I think if you are careful you could get great results with no foil. I still like the modified 3-2-1 approach because it is rock solid consistent. And if you use a strong wood like mesquite, you can get a decent amount of smoke flavor.
                      I always foil. I am not sure why anyone wouldn't. Using foil pans makes it so much easier too. Slide it off the grill, foil the top and put it back onto the grill or I put it into my oven to finish. Foiling cuts down on my cook time. I save pellets. The results are fabulous and consistent each and every time.
                      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                      -Turtle
                      sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                        I always foil. I am not sure why anyone wouldn't. Using foil pans makes it so much easier too. Slide it off the grill, foil the top and put it back onto the grill or I put it into my oven to finish. Foiling cuts down on my cook time. I save pellets. The results are fabulous and consistent each and every time.
                        Yes. I love the foil pans.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• 30 mins to go

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

30 mins to go

How did they turn out?

- Goatnapper'96

Comment

How did they turn out?

They were great. The cooking time/temps were perfect. The meat pulled off the bone cleanly but it didn't fall off the bone. I didn't have mesquite, so next time I'd like to try that since the hickory I had on hand only gave a faint smoke flavor. I also like the taste of having them finished on the grill. I think next time I'll go 30 minutes on the smoker with BBQ sauce and then reapply some sauce and finish them for 5-10 minutes on the grill.

Comment

• Those look great, moliere.

Comment

Working...
                                X