3-2-1 method for smoked ribs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    Looks delish. You should take one for the team and try it out.
    Yeah, it does. And I think I will.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

• I forgot to take an after picture, but I did 14 racks for my football team tonight to come over and watch out Autzen game from yesterday. Pushed my smoker to the limit of capacity. They voted yes in favor of El Duderino's 3-2-1 method. Thanks, Dude!

49712691411__03B34BD4-03E5-4EBF-9EA3-52715E93711F.jpg

All that remains
      IMG_2691.jpg
      Get confident, stupid
      -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
        I forgot to take an after picture, but I did 14 racks for my football team tonight to come over and watch out Autzen game from yesterday. Pushed my smoker to the limit of capacity. They voted yes in favor of El Duderino's 3-2-1 method. Thanks, Dude!
        That's incredible. I can't believe you fit that many racks in one smoker. Well done, brother.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
          Has anybody tried this stuff on their ribs?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]7249[/ATTACH]

https://www.texaspepperjelly.com/
          bump. i never did pull the trigger on this stuff, but stopped by BBQ Pit Stop this afternoon and they are now carrying it. Grabbed a bottle of Apple Cherry and a bottle of Apple. not sure when i'll be making ribs again, but when i do i will report. a couple of the guys there were raving about it, fwiw.
          I'm like LeBron James.
          -mpfunk

Comment

• Yesterday I followed an easy recipe on Traeger's site for St. Louis ribs. It was delicious. Essentially you just use your favorite rub on a rack, let it sit in the fridge for a while, and then throw it on the smoker for 4.5 hours at 225 degrees. Spritz it with apple juice every 45 minutes or so. When the internal temp his 201 slather with your favorite sauce and let it cook for another ten minutes. Pop it out of the smoker, let it rest for ten minutes, then slice. The meat didn't fall off the bone yet pulled apart easily. A few people thought they were the best pork ribs they had ever had.

It's a nice alternative to 3-2-1.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
              Yesterday I followed an easy recipe on Traeger's site for St. Louis ribs. It was delicious. Essentially you just use your favorite rub on a rack, let it sit in the fridge for a while, and then throw it on the smoker for 4.5 hours at 225 degrees. Spritz it with apple juice every 45 minutes or so. When the internal temp his 201 slather with your favorite sauce and let it cook for another ten minutes. Pop it out of the smoker, let it rest for ten minutes, then slice. The meat didn't fall off the bone yet pulled apart easily. A few people thought they were the best pork ribs they had ever had.

That sounds much easier. How long did you leave it in the fridge after applying the rub?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                Yesterday I followed an easy recipe on Traeger's site for St. Louis ribs. It was delicious. Essentially you just use your favorite rub on a rack, let it sit in the fridge for a while, and then throw it on the smoker for 4.5 hours at 225 degrees. Spritz it with apple juice every 45 minutes or so. When the internal temp his 201 slather with your favorite sauce and let it cook for another ten minutes. Pop it out of the smoker, let it rest for ten minutes, then slice. The meat didn't fall off the bone yet pulled apart easily. A few people thought they were the best pork ribs they had ever had.

no foil at any point?
                I'm like LeBron James.
                -mpfunk

Comment

• I never foil anything during the cooking process anymore. I will hold a shoulder or brisket in the oven covered, but that's about it.
                  A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by CJF View Post
                    I never foil anything during the cooking process anymore. I will hold a shoulder or brisket in the oven covered, but that's about it.
                    maybe its in my head, but I always foil shoulders because I feel like it makes the cook time more predictable/quicker. the stall doesn't seem to last as long.

I foil ribs because that's how CS taught me and it worked - no other reason really. if its not necessary, it would be nice to avoid it.
                    I'm like LeBron James.
                    -mpfunk

Comment

maybe its in my head, but I always foil shoulders because I feel like it makes the cook time more predictable/quicker. the stall doesn't seem to last as long.

I foil ribs because that's how CS taught me and it worked - no other reason really. if its not necessary, it would be nice to avoid it.
                      It probably does get through the stall faster. I just like the bark to be much more firm. I also mop throughout the last few hours of the smoke with a vinegar/lemon/cayenne mixture that adds some zip to the bark while keeping the humidity up in the cooking chamber. Nothing wrong with wrapping a shoulder, I am just lazy and prefer the more pronounced bark.

On ribs, I think they're better without foil. But you do need to spritz them often. At least that has been my experience.
                      A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                        That sounds much easier. How long did you leave it in the fridge after applying the rub?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                        I only left it in there for about 30 minutes. You can leave it in much longer if you want.

Comment

no foil at any point?
                          Foil didn't come out of the cupboard.

Comment

• I used to only foil rarely. I guess the term "texas crutch" biased me somehow. Then I binge watched several seasons of BBQ Pitmasters and discovered how the top pro cooks almost always foil. When smoking a big piece of meat (butt or brisket) you aren't adding much smoke flavor after four hours of smoke and you run the risk of occasionally going over that threshold and getting a char flavor, or drying it out. I get much more consistent results with foil.

For ribs, yeah I think if you are careful you could get great results with no foil. I still like the modified 3-2-1 approach because it is rock solid consistent. And if you use a strong wood like mesquite, you can get a decent amount of smoke flavor.
                            Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 06-27-2017, 02:37 PM.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I've had really good ribs both ways. My favorite babyback rib joint doesn't foil, but they're also called BurnCo BBQ, so that sort of makes sense.
                              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• we got some char (in a bad way) on our babybacks even with foil. ribs are an expensive thing to screw up.
                                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Working...
                                X