Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69703

    #1666
    Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    That's very interesting info, JL. I'm sure I've underestimated the need for resting my work product, mainly due to impatience and because I don't want the meat to get too cold. But we did a tri-tip Sunday and circumstances (i.e., Mrs. PAC being too slow in prepping her side of the meal, and this was Fast Sunday so I was starving ) resulted in a longer than usual rest. Even discounting for my hunger, the 'tip turned out better than ever and seemed much juicier than usual.

    In view of the article, I'm going to cook things well in advance of dining time and let things sit for awhile. Question about the article, though: As long as you keep the temp at, say, 140, does the meat continue to cook? I love the look of medium-rare to medium, and don't want an extended stay in a warming device to ruin that.
    Depends on what you are cooking. The focus of the article is mainly big cuts of slow-cooked smoked meat (butts and briskets). In both cases, you stop cooking when they reach 190-195 and you hold anywhere from 140-170 or so. So they stop cooking but that extra time allows for the water to reabsorb and the connective tissue in the meat breaks down making it more tender. But I don't think a multi-hour hold at 140 or above would apply to a medium-rare steak.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • hostile
      lollygagger
      • Dec 2009
      • 5736

      #1667
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      BTW, I bought a cambro a few months ago. LOVE it...


      ...I am going to trying holding at lower temps. I usually hold at 170-180.
      I've got a warming drawer that i can set for 120, 160, or 200. Im going to give it a try next cook.
      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

      "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

      Comment

      • Jeff Lebowski
        Corporate lackey for Jesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 69703

        #1668
        Originally posted by hostile View Post
        I've got a warming drawer that i can set for 120, 160, or 200. Im going to give it a try next cook.
        160 would be perfect.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

        Comment

        • Green Monstah
          Royal Rooter
          • Aug 2010
          • 13955

          #1669
          JL, which Cambro did you get?
          Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

          "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69703

            #1670
            Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
            JL, which Cambro did you get?
            http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...rch_detailpage
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • Green Monstah
              Royal Rooter
              • Aug 2010
              • 13955

              #1671
              My wife is getting me a BBQ Guru DigiQ for Father's day, and I'm pretty stoked!
              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

              "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

              Comment

              • TripletDaddy
                sweet triple
                • Nov 2008
                • 58186

                #1672
                Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                My wife is getting me a BBQ Guru DigiQ for Father's day, and I'm pretty stoked!
                the wifi? which fan are you getting? pit viper?
                Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                sigpic

                Comment

                • Green Monstah
                  Royal Rooter
                  • Aug 2010
                  • 13955

                  #1673
                  Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  the wifi? which fan are you getting? pit viper?
                  I think that's the CyberQ. Pitviper (Medium).
                  Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                  "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                  Comment

                  • Drunk Tank
                    Senior Member
                    • Apr 2009
                    • 2569

                    #1674
                    You'll really like the guru. I just picked up a used Stoker Wifi by Rock's BBQ. I like that it has the capability to run multiple temp probes and I can watch it and make changes from my iPad.
                    "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

                    Comment

                    • ERCougar
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 10978

                      #1675
                      Once in a while, I cover a hospital in rural Nevada for 3-4 days at a time. By cover, I mean I'm the only doc in town, so I cover the ER, as well as any inpatients and the occasional baby delivery. It's fun frontier medicine, and it's easy money.

                      I'm posting in this thread because my last two times I've been here, I've brought along my Pit Barrel Cooker and done some cooks. I got this a few years ago to have something I could easily take camping. We haven't taken it in a little while and I forgot how fun and easy it is. There is a single vent that you adjust one time based on your elevation, fill up the basket with kingsford, light 1/3 of them in a chimney, put them back in, and you're done. The meat hangs by hooks (I really like this for ribs especially). It cooks around 300 when i've bothered measuring, but the designer did not include a thermometer, I think intentionally because I think he wants people to stop fussing with temp control. Maybe if I tasted this meat right next to meat smoked at 220, I could tell a difference, but I'm not really convinced (it gets great reviews in BBQ circles). Also, there's no stall at this temp and a brisket or shoulder is done in 6 hours, give or take. There are plenty of great videos on his site on how to cook about any kind of meat on it--I've used a few of these on my kamado. It's definitely the easiest way to smoke meat.

                      Anyway, if you're looking to get into smoking and don't want to wade through thousands of posts on how to do it, this is a great option. And you can throw it in your truck/trunk and take it camping--there's really not a better place to smoke meat (Traeger fans will never understand this... )
                      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69703

                        #1676
                        Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                        Once in a while, I cover a hospital in rural Nevada for 3-4 days at a time. By cover, I mean I'm the only doc in town, so I cover the ER, as well as any inpatients and the occasional baby delivery. It's fun frontier medicine, and it's easy money.

                        I'm posting in this thread because my last two times I've been here, I've brought along my Pit Barrel Cooker and done some cooks. I got this a few years ago to have something I could easily take camping. We haven't taken it in a little while and I forgot how fun and easy it is. There is a single vent that you adjust one time based on your elevation, fill up the basket with kingsford, light 1/3 of them in a chimney, put them back in, and you're done. The meat hangs by hooks (I really like this for ribs especially). It cooks around 300 when i've bothered measuring, but the designer did not include a thermometer, I think intentionally because I think he wants people to stop fussing with temp control. Maybe if I tasted this meat right next to meat smoked at 220, I could tell a difference, but I'm not really convinced (it gets great reviews in BBQ circles). Also, there's no stall at this temp and a brisket or shoulder is done in 6 hours, give or take. There are plenty of great videos on his site on how to cook about any kind of meat on it--I've used a few of these on my kamado. It's definitely the easiest way to smoke meat.

                        Anyway, if you're looking to get into smoking and don't want to wade through thousands of posts on how to do it, this is a great option. And you can throw it in your truck/trunk and take it camping--there's really not a better place to smoke meat (Traeger fans will never understand this... )
                        http://www.bbqguys.com/item_item_2877818.html

                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • Jeff Lebowski
                          Corporate lackey for Jesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 69703

                          #1677
                          ER, how big is that thing? (in inches, approx)
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                          Comment

                          • ERCougar
                            Junior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 10978

                            #1678
                            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Ok, that's kind of cool.
                            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                            Comment

                            • Donuthole
                              Official Outgayer
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 25268

                              #1679
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              ER, how big is that thing? (in inches, approx)
                              TWSS
                              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                              There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                              Comment

                              • Green Monstah
                                Royal Rooter
                                • Aug 2010
                                • 13955

                                #1680
                                Last month, my family vacationed with my best friends from high school in San Diego. Each night, a family was responsible for cooking dinner for the entire crew (45 people). I floated the idea of doing some BBQ, but it all depended on whether I had access to an adequate smoker. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a decent smoker, but there was a base model Weber kettle grill at our beachhouse, and I brought my old school Maverick thermometer. I started smoking ribs on a kettle grill when I was in college, so I figured I could put together some decent Q. I bought two medium-sized pork butts, two whole chickens, and two tri-tips.

                                At 2am, I started the butts. I added hickory chips to the charcoal, and I had a ton of temperature control issues. There is no damper to adjust intake, so I had to control temp completely by coals. At 6:30, I woke up and the temps were at 400 degrees, so I pulled the butts and finished them in the oven, then FTC'd them in a cooler. They pulled nicely. Some parts were a little dry, but overall, I was pleased with the results. I learned my lesson with the chickens. I spatchcocked them, and altered my approach with charcoal placement. I kept the cooker temp between 230 and 275 until the birds were at 170, then I put them in the oven on warm. Then I did the tritip Surfah style, using Mesquite chips. Dinner was around 6:30, and it was pretty damn good. Not the best barbeque I've made, but not too shabby for an 80-dollar kettle grill.
                                Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

                                "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

                                Comment

                                Working...