Time to get serious about a new smoker.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Green Monstah
    Royal Rooter
    • Aug 2010
    • 13976

    #1681
    The movers came last weekend...smoker made the journey, and I can't wait for some brisket on Sunday after Church.
    Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

    "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

    Comment

    • Pelado
      Bald not naked
      • Sep 2010
      • 21150

      #1682
      Any reason not to get the Traeger Century (other than size)?
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

      Comment

      • Jeff Lebowski
        Corporate lackey for Jesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 69745

        #1683
        Originally posted by Pelado View Post
        Any reason not to get the Traeger Century (other than size)?
        Can't think of one. I like the size.

        We bought one for our son as a graduation present. They love it.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

        Comment

        • Pelado
          Bald not naked
          • Sep 2010
          • 21150

          #1684
          Are the Traeger wood pellets the best option for Traeger smokers? Any better quality/value out there?

          Assuming Traeger wood pellets are the best, is there any better place to buy them than Costco?

          What are your go-to pellets for various cuts of meat?
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69745

            #1685
            Originally posted by Pelado View Post
            Are the Traeger wood pellets the best option for Traeger smokers? Any better quality/value out there?

            Assuming Traeger wood pellets are the best, is there any better place to buy them than Costco?

            What are your go-to pellets for various cuts of meat?
            Costco stopped selling different woods and they just sell some dumb mix now. Boo.

            BBQ Delight pellets are good quality. I have had good luck with Traeger too.

            My favorites:

            Mesquite: ribs, beans
            Hickory: ribs, butt, beans
            Oak: brisket
            Alder: salmon
            Apple: butt, chicken, turkey, beans

            If you put a gun to my head and made me pick one, I would pick hickory.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • Moliere
              One man.....one pie
              • Oct 2009
              • 27898

              #1686
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Costco stopped selling different woods and they just sell some dumb mix now. Boo.

              BBQ Delight pellets are good quality. I have had good luck with Traeger too.

              My favorites:

              Mesquite: ribs, beans
              Hickory: ribs, butt, beans
              Oak: brisket
              Alder: salmon
              Apple: butt, chicken, turkey, beans

              If you put a gun to my head and made me pick one, I would pick hickory.
              Agree on hickory. It's like the chicken of smoking wood. I usually have chunks of hickory, oak and mesquite on hand and I rarely use mesquite...which is probably shameful given that I live in Texas. I do love mesquite lump charcoal when I'm grilling as it's strong enough to infuse at least a little more flavor into the meat even when its' on the grill for a short time. I just find mesquite too potent for any real smoking, even for ribs
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69745

                #1687
                Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                Agree on hickory. It's like the chicken of smoking wood. I usually have chunks of hickory, oak and mesquite on hand and I rarely use mesquite...which is probably shameful given that I live in Texas. I do love mesquite lump charcoal when I'm grilling as it's strong enough to infuse at least a little more flavor into the meat even when its' on the grill for a short time. I just find mesquite too potent for any real smoking, even for ribs
                Totally depends on the technique. Sometime you need to lay down lots of smoke flavor over a short period and mesquite is perfect for that. You do not want to use it with long cooks, however.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • Pelado
                  Bald not naked
                  • Sep 2010
                  • 21150

                  #1688
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  Costco stopped selling different woods and they just sell some dumb mix now. Boo.

                  BBQ Delight pellets are good quality. I have had good luck with Traeger too.

                  My favorites:

                  Mesquite: ribs, beans
                  Hickory: ribs, butt, beans
                  Oak: brisket
                  Alder: salmon
                  Apple: butt, chicken, turkey, beans

                  If you put a gun to my head and made me pick one, I would pick hickory.
                  I would never do that.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69745

                    #1689
                    Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                    I would never do that.
                    Well, you don't need to because you already know my answer! Win-win.

                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • CJF
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 8497

                      #1690
                      For pork, I equally mix hickory and peach pellets. For brisket, I mix two parts oak and one part cherry. For tips, equally mesquite and apple. Chicken I use hickory and whatever fruit I have closest to me.
                      A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

                      Comment

                      • Pelado
                        Bald not naked
                        • Sep 2010
                        • 21150

                        #1691
                        So it sounds like I need to find some hickory and oak.
                        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                        - Goatnapper'96

                        Comment

                        • Pelado
                          Bald not naked
                          • Sep 2010
                          • 21150

                          #1692
                          Here's the first cook on the Century. Sorry it's just boring old chicken:

                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69745

                            #1693
                            That looks great!
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • Pelado
                              Bald not naked
                              • Sep 2010
                              • 21150

                              #1694
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              That looks great!
                              Thanks. Kids said it was the best chicken they have ever had and I believe them since 11 and 7-year-olds are not prone to hyperbole.

                              It was quite juicy.
                              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                              - Goatnapper'96

                              Comment

                              • CardiacCoug
                                вот так штука
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 11013

                                #1695
                                OK I gotta just interject here that there's no way anybody could ever guess in a blinded taste test what kind of wood was used to cook meat right?

                                This strikes me as the same type of nonsense that goes on with wine and coffee the way people pretend to know the difference between expensive and cheap stuff but if you study it scientifically none of the idiots who think they know fine wine or good coffee can tell the difference whatsoever -- it's all total bullshit.

                                And nice job Pelado -- that chicken looks awesome.

                                Comment

                                Working...