Cookie Recipes

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Omaha 680
    Senior Member
    • Jul 2011
    • 11182

    #241
    Each January a guy in our ward organizes a stake-wide winter clothing drive for the homeless. Tomorrow is the day the clothing is distributed on the streets and they like to have plenty of food, refreshments, and hot chocolate to share as well. I signed up to bring a treat and was left with a question: where do I find a relatively simple recipe with a high yield that is also delicious? I think the answer is obvious. So I checked to make sure I had the molasses, butter, and shortening on hand. I had a total of four cookie sheets rotating through the convection oven and used the HFN sugar coating method with a Tupperware container. Each time I reached into the bowl to ball up more dough, I was amazed that the dough did not appear to be decreasing. It was as if Elijah had blessed my mixing bowl due to my willingness to share cookies with the homeless. Final yield: over 7 dozen. Minus a dozen that my wife and I will eat by the time we drop them off today.

    Comment

    • Jeff Lebowski
      Corporate lackey for Jesus
      • Nov 2008
      • 69720

      #242
      Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
      Each January a guy in our ward organizes a stake-wide winter clothing drive for the homeless. Tomorrow is the day the clothing is distributed on the streets and they like to have plenty of food, refreshments, and hot chocolate to share as well. I signed up to bring a treat and was left with a question: where do I find a relatively simple recipe with a high yield that is also delicious? I think the answer is obvious. So I checked to make sure I had the molasses, butter, and shortening on hand. I had a total of four cookie sheets rotating through the convection oven and used the HFN sugar coating method with a Tupperware container. Each time I reached into the bowl to ball up more dough, I was amazed that the dough did not appear to be decreasing. It was as if Elijah had blessed my mixing bowl due to my willingness to share cookies with the homeless. Final yield: over 7 dozen. Minus a dozen that my wife and I will eat by the time we drop them off today.
      Its a miracle!

      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

      Comment

      • Omaha 680
        Senior Member
        • Jul 2011
        • 11182

        #243
        Originally posted by falafel View Post
        Holy crap that recipe has a lot of directions! Whatever happened to mixing it all up and chucking it in the oven? I particularly like the "hollow-center heavy-gauge dull aluminum baking sheet that is lined with parchment paper" instruction.

        As a side note, I'll probably try to make these. But I think I'll cook them a little longer - I don't like cookies that are gooey to the point of appearing uncooked.
        I'm making a run at these tonight. You're right, there are a lot of instructions. My wife's comment when I read the recipe to her was "sure, I'll give your pretentious cookies a try." I have to admit thought the first batch looks pretty good.

        Comment

        • falafel
          loves to talk on things
          • Mar 2009
          • 37988

          #244
          Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
          I'm making a run at these tonight. You're right, there are a lot of instructions. My wife's comment when I read the recipe to her was "sure, I'll give your pretentious cookies a try." I have to admit thought the first batch looks pretty good.
          Funny, I was just reading through this thread again and saw that recipe and wondered what it was like. Post pics, if you can.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

          Dig your own grave, and save!

          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

          Comment

          • Omaha 680
            Senior Member
            • Jul 2011
            • 11182

            #245
            Originally posted by falafel View Post
            Funny, I was just reading through this thread again and saw that recipe and wondered what it was like. Post pics, if you can.
            Cookies.jpg

            Not the best photo, but there they are. The crazy detailed instructions really did turn out a cookie that was slightly crispy on the outside and soft in the middle. One of the better-textured cookies I've ever made. The first batch ended up very soft in the middle and I don't like my cookies doughy. So on subsequent batches I increased the convection bake period to 8 min and it seemed to do the trick.

            The dough in these cookies is very sweet by chocolate chip cookie dough standards. So much that I was limited to 2 instead of my usual 8 or 9 cookies consumed when I bake. Being uncultured Americans, we prefer milk chocolate so we rarely have semi-sweet chips on hand. This is one case where I wished I had them and I think they would make a better and less overwhelmingly sweet cookie. Pretty good cookie overall but not my favorite chocolate chip recipe. If you do give them a shot let me know how they are with the semi-sweet chips.

            Comment

            • TripletDaddy
              sweet triple
              • Nov 2008
              • 58186

              #246
              A recipe that is billed to be the best anything is doomed to failure before it even begins. thank you for saving us all the time.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

              sigpic

              Comment

              • falafel
                loves to talk on things
                • Mar 2009
                • 37988

                #247
                Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                A recipe that is billed to be the best anything is doomed to failure before it even begins. thank you for saving us all the time.
                Crap, this thread is filled with "the best..." recipes.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                Dig your own grave, and save!

                "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                Comment

                • TripletDaddy
                  sweet triple
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 58186

                  #248
                  Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  Crap, this thread is filled with "the best..." recipes.
                  Which is why I haven't really tried many of them.
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • falafel
                    loves to talk on things
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 37988

                    #249
                    Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                    Which is why I haven't really tried many of them.
                    I was out when Surfah said Gidget's sour cream sugar cookies tasted like Granny B's.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                    Dig your own grave, and save!

                    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment

                    • smokymountainrain
                      Impressive Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 22593

                      #250
                      Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      I was out when Surfah said Gidget's sour cream sugar cookies tasted like Granny B's.
                      Super mean comment.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69720

                        #251
                        Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        I was out when Surfah said Gidget's sour cream sugar cookies tasted like Granny B's.
                        Declasse. gtfo.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • falafel
                          loves to talk on things
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 37988

                          #252
                          Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                          Super mean comment.
                          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Declasse. gtfo.
                          I apologize. I had no idea you guys loved Granny B's so much.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                          Dig your own grave, and save!

                          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                          Comment

                          • old_gregg
                            scaly man fish
                            • Nov 2009
                            • 16915

                            #253
                            Originally posted by falafel View Post
                            I apologize. I had no idea you guys loved Granny B's so much.
                            Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                            Comment

                            • falafel
                              loves to talk on things
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 37988

                              #254
                              Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                              GTFO!
                              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                              Dig your own grave, and save!

                              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                              Comment

                              • smokymountainrain
                                Impressive Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 22593

                                #255
                                Originally posted by falafel View Post
                                I apologize. I had no idea you guys loved Granny B's so much.
                                What makes you think I love Granny Bs?
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

                                Comment

                                Working...