The HBO Original Programming Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
    I watched it last night too. I have a hard time figuring out what to make of the whole story. Some weird stuff going on on both sides. The fact that Allen ended up marrying Soon-Yi is super weird though, although it appears that she was in her 20s when they first hooked up.
    I don't care how old she is, that is creepy as hell.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

People seem to be passionately defensive of Allen - I am sure part of that is due to his genius as a film-maker. That is part of what makes all of this so interesting.
      Wrong again! It's because there have been two major investigations, paid for and backed by the power of the state, one by the Child Sexual Abuse Clinic at the Yale–New Haven Hospital, hired by the police, and one by New York State Child Welfare, and they found there was NO ABUSE. Moreover, the prosecutor concluded there wasn't any evidence with which to charge Allen. The Yale–New Haven Child Sexual Abuse Clinic concluded:

“It is our expert opinion that Dylan was not sexually abused by Mr. Allen. Further, we believe that Dylan’s statements on videotape and her statements to us during our evaluation do not refer to actual events that occurred to her on August 4, 1992…In developing our opinion, we considered three hypotheses to explain Dylan’s statements. First, that Dylan’s statements were true and that Mr. Allen had sexually abused her; second, that Dylan’s statements were not true but were made up by an emotionally vulnerable child who was caught up in a disturbed family and who was responding to the stresses in the family; and third, that Dylan was coached or influenced by her mother, Ms. Farrow.
      While we can conclude that Dylan was not sexually abused, we cannot be definitive about whether the second formulation by itself or the third formulation by itself is true. We believe that it is more likely that a combination of these two formulations best explain Dylan’s allegations of sexual abuse.”
      That should be the end of it. But Mia Farrow and Ronan are famous, Allen is Jewish, and there's money to be made by perpetuating this non-story. Never mind common sense, that these accusations surfaced after Allen and Mia split over Soon-Yi, that Allen has never been accused of abusing children before or since, that this is supposed to have occurred in a house full of Mia's family and friends, while Allen came to visit.

I've warned you before about staying in your lane. You need to stick to geotech engineering, Doktor.
      Last edited by SeattleUte; 02-23-2021, 04:38 PM.
      When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Can somebody please unblock the post I just put up in this thread. It's not spam.
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
          Can somebody please unblock the post I just put up in this thread. It's not spam.
          Done
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

Done
            I tried to edit it and it did it again.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Wrong again! It's because there have been two major investigations, paid for and backed by the power of the state, one by the Child Sexual Abuse Clinic at the Yale–New Haven Hospital, hired by the police, and one by New York State Child Welfare, and they found there was NO ABUSE. Moreover, the prosecutor concluded there wasn't any evidence with which to charge Allen. The [FONT=Times New Roman]Yale–New Haven Child Sexual Abuse Clinic concluded:

That should be the end of it. But Mia Farrow and Ronan are famous, Allen is Jewish, and there's money to be made by perpetuating this non-story. Never mind common sense, that these accusations surfaced after Allen and Mia split over Soon-Yi, that Allen has never been accused of abusing children before or since, that this is supposed to have occurred in a house full of Mia's family and friends, while Allen came to visit.

I've warned you before about staying in your lane. You need to stick to geotech engineering, Doktor.
              Lol. This is just the kind of over-the-top, unhinged response one can expect from Woody Allen worshippers. Like I said, part of what makes the case so interesting.

Funny you think that the case is closed based on that one data point.

https://www.nytimes.com/1993/04/28/n...testifies.html

A child psychiatrist testified yesterday that experts at Yale-New Haven Hospital had mishandled interviews and used faulty methodology to conclude that Woody Allen had not molested his 7-year-old daughter, Dylan.

Testifying at the custody trial of Mr. Allen and Mia Farrow, the psychiatrist, Dr. Stephen Herman, called the Yale report "seriously flawed." He said the investigators had developed questionable interpretations of many of Dylan's statements to them, inappropriately destroyed original notes of the meetings and leaped to unsubstantiated conclusions about people whom they had not even interviewed.

In fact, Dr. Herman testified, the report's findings were so unreliable that he could have used the data to arrive at a totally opposite conclusion. "It's just as easy to conclude from this report that Dylan was abused," he said in his testimony in State Supreme Court in Manhattan.
              "stay in your lane". gtfo.

Comment

I tried to edit it and it did it again.
                That is really weird. Sorry, I need to figure out how to dial back the anti-spam feature.

Comment

Lol. This is just the kind of over-the-top, unhinged response one can expect from Woody Allen worshippers. Like I said, part of what makes the case so interesting.

Funny you think that the case is closed based on that one data point.

https://www.nytimes.com/1993/04/28/n...testifies.html

"stay in your lane". gtfo.
                  Expert witness hired by Mia Farrow in the custody trial saying Yale-New Haven flawed. LOL.

So, tell me, did Biden really win the election?

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Expert witness hired by Mia Farrow in the custody trial saying Yale-New Haven flawed. LOL.

So, tell me, did Biden really win the election?
                    I understand in future episodes, we are going to hear from a whole host of child abuse experts. You going to watch, or is your mind made up? (never mind - we know the answer to that)

Comment

I understand in future episodes, we are going to hear from a whole host of child abuse experts. You going to watch, or is your mind made up? (never mind - we know the answer to that)
                      You mean experts like this guy, Mia's hired gun?

https://www.childadultforensics.com/
                      Last edited by SeattleUte; 02-23-2021, 10:55 PM.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

You mean expects like this guy, Mia's hired gun?

https://www.childadultforensics.com/
                        I don't know. Haven't seen the episode yet.

BTW, I find it odd that you would discount Ronan Farrow so completely. He played a critical role in bringing down Harvey Weinstein.

This is a pretty balanced critical review of the docuseries:

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/...review/618116/

Comment

Allen very well could have done what he is accused of, but I don't think this "documentary" will be that helpful in revealing the truth. While I found it interesting, it is very clearly biased in favor of Farrow. There are a lot of background facts that make Mia look pretty bad, if not downright crazy, that are completely left out. The first episode makes her look like a saint. While I'm not convinced she is the villain/child abuser that Soon-Yi has made her out to be here, I think the fact that all 5 of her adopted children are either alienated from her or dead (at very young ages) is pretty hard to overlook. I also didn't like how Mia took subtle jabs at Moses in the documentary, suggesting that he was "obsessed" with Woody, likely as a way to explain why he has taken Allen's side in this drama.

One thing I have never understood was why Allen was at Mia's house with the kids on the day of the alleged abuse, which was SEVEN MONTHS after Mia found out about the affair with Soon-Yi and apparently thought of him as a monster. Something doesn't quite add up there.

There are no innocent parties here it seems.
                          Last edited by UVACoug; 02-23-2021, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
                            Allen very well could have done what he is accused of, but I don't think this "documentary" will be that helpful in revealing the truth. While I found it interesting, it is very clearly biased in favor of Farrow. There are a lot of background facts that make Mia look pretty bad, if not downright crazy, that are completely left out. The first episode makes her look like a saint. While I'm not convinced she is the villain/child abuser that Soon-Yi has made her out to be here, I think the fact that all 5 of her adopted children are either alienated from her or dead (at very young ages) is pretty hard to overlook. I also didn't like how Mia took subtle jabs at Moses in the documentary, suggesting that he was "obsessed" with Woody, likely as a way to explain why he has taken Allen's side in this drama.

One thing I have never understood was why Allen was at Mia's house with the kids on the day of the alleged abuse, which was SEVEN MONTHS after Mia found out about the affair with Soon-Yi and apparently thought of him as a monster. Something doesn't quite add up there.

There are no innocent parties here it seems.
                            There’s nothing mysterious about why Woody was at Mia’s house. He was visiting Dylan and Satchel per an arrangement negotiated by the lawyers. It was a visitation. Woody went to dinner with Mia after seeing the kids (he says it was “frosty”) and slept in Mia’s guest room that night.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

This article is from the NY Post and a controversial journalist who covers celebrities. Nevertheless, it’s interesting the way it catches Mia’s altered story describing wha happened when she confronted Soon Yi.

https://nypost.com/2021/02/22/put-me...is-full-of-it/

Two of Mia’s kids have committed suicide. That’s a lot.

Why is is this complicated? Start with that there is NO EVIDENCE. Cite a single stick of evieence. Then, the alleged circumstances, which defy common sense. Never mind the rest of Allens’ life and that every other person he’s been close to including all the women have defended him.

Speaking Weinstein, Allen has worked with a zillion beautiful women, he is, as The NY Times Book Review’s Dwight Garner wrote in his review of Allen’s memoir, “tone deaf” in his assessment of women. They’re gorgeous and super smart and talented, or he has no use for them. Also, in Allen’s prime, he was a cultural god (which is another reason this story won’t go away). Yet not one women has ever accused him of harassment.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

I don't know. Haven't seen the episode yet.

BTW, I find it odd that you would discount Ronan Farrow so completely. He played a critical role in bringing down Harvey Weinstein.

This is a pretty balanced critical review of the docuseries:

https://www.theatlantic.com/culture/...review/618116/
                                What does Ronan know? He doesn’t claim to have personal knowledge. He’s obviously taken his mother’s side, so he has no credibility, for one thing.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Working...
                                X