The HBO Original Programming Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The HBO Original Programming Thread

There are lots of places where HBO shows are discussed, but none of them are central like the Netflix/Amazon/Hulu threads.

I finished Perry Mason last night. Loved it. I love the noir setting in 1930s L.A. Matthew Rhys is excellent as Mason, a sad sack private detective who is barely scraping by after coming home from the war, getting divorced, and nearly losing the family farm. He is eventually forced into making a change and taking the bar exam in order to defend a woman that no one else will represent. The supporting cast is great too. The woman cast as Della Street is very good, and Shea Wigham (Nucky Thompson's brother from Boardwalk Empire) is a lot of fun as Perry's investigator. Highly recommended.

Next I think I will give Lovecraft Country a try. I've had a thing for Jurnee Smollet since Friday Night Lights.

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

I want to watch the Action Park doc. That place looked awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post
      There are lots of places where HBO shows are discussed, but none of them are central like the Netflix/Amazon/Hulu threads.

I finished Perry Mason last night. Loved it. I love the noir setting in 1930s L.A. Matthew Rhys is excellent as Mason, a sad sack private detective who is barely scraping by after coming home from the war, getting divorced, and nearly losing the family farm. He is eventually forced into making a change and taking the bar exam in order to defend a woman that no one else will represent. The supporting cast is great too. The woman cast as Della Street is very good, and Shea Wigham (Nucky Thompson's brother from Boardwalk Empire) is a lot of fun as Perry's investigator. Highly recommended.

Next I think I will give Lovecraft Country a try. I've had a thing for Jurnee Smollet since Friday Night Lights.

My mom loves the old Perry Mason series with Raymond Burr. We watched a lot of reruns in my youth.

If it's on HBO, though, I'm guessing it will have a lot of content she wouldn't care for. Is this reboot mother-appropriate?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

Comment

i like the idea of lovecraft country, but haven't been able to get into it.
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by Pelado View Post
          My mom loves the old Perry Mason series with Raymond Burr. We watched a lot of reruns in my youth.

If it's on HBO, though, I'm guessing it will have a lot of content she wouldn't care for. Is this reboot mother-appropriate?

She probably isn’t going to like it. My wife loves the old Perry Mason and this one she hates. I guess it is more of a origin series? Perry Mason is a private investigator and not an attorney, at least not yet. I am only a few episodes in, but I like it. It’s dark and Perry Mason in this version is very flawed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
            She probably isn’t going to like it. My wife loves the old Perry Mason and this one she hates. I guess it is more of a origin series? Perry Mason is a private investigator and not an attorney, at least not yet. I am only a few episodes in, but I like it. It’s dark and Perry Mason in this version is very flawed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Yeah, this isn't your mom's Perry Mason. He's not smooth, he's not put together, he's not a gentleman, he's not ethical.... Basically the opposite of all the things your mom probably loved about Raymond Burr's Mason.

Oh, but wait: how does she feel about sex scenes with strong latina characters?
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Perry Mason was excellent. I'm a sucker for any period piece based in pre-war Los Angeles, so I might be biased toward it. But the acting was great, the art and design were beautiful, and the story was compelling.
              Visca Catalunya Lliure

Comment

My question has been answered. I will watch it!
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

Comment

Yeah, this isn't your mom's Perry Mason. He's not smooth, he's not put together, he's not a gentleman, he's not ethical.... Basically the opposite of all the things your mom probably loved about Raymond Burr's Mason.

I don't think she would do them, but she might surprise me.
                  "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                  - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                    My question has been answered. I will watch it!
                    I didn't say attractive strong latina women, but hey.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I didn't say attractive strong latina women, but hey.
                      I'll be the judge of that.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                        I want to watch the Action Park doc. That place looked awesome.
                        Really good documentary. It avoided the latest trap of HBO docs being there to damn long
                        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                        --Kendrick Lamar

Comment

how does she feel about sex scenes with strong latina characters?
                          I don't think she would do them, but she might surprise me.
                          What if they paid her welder's money?
                          Last edited by swampfrog; 09-03-2020, 09:06 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                            What if they paid her welder's money?
                            She might surprise me.

- Goatnapper'96

Comment

I'm mixed on Perry Mason. Acting was very good, especially from Rhys and Tatiana Maslany (as always). The mystery was a bit too confusing for me (maybe I'm just not smart enough to get it), and I'm not sure I like how they turned it into noir as opposed to legal drama. The high drama courtroom scenes are what I loved about Perry Mason, and there weren't that many of them until the end. And the way they undermined the most dramatic courtroom scene was kind of annoying. The outcome of the trial wasn't that satisfying. It may have been more realistic (not really), but Perry Mason has never been about what was realistic. The ultimate fate of the main villain was also pretty stupid. I do think it could improve a lot next season when some of the noir elements are not as overt. I'm usually a sucker for serialized dramas, but I think this show would be better if they take more of a "case of the week" approach next season.

Started out really liking Lovecraft Country. The first episode was great. The second was still pretty good, but a bit weird. I think I'm over it after the third though. Horror just isn't my genre. And the special effects are really jankie. Do love Jurnee Smollett and Michael K. Williams though, and Courtney Vance was fantastic in the first two episodes. May give it a few more episodes, but I don't see myself sticking around for too much longer.
                              Last edited by UVACoug; 09-04-2020, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X