Radiohead starts recording LP8

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #421
    Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
    Lucky. If I was rich like you I would have flown out for it, too. Are you going again tonight?
    This week? I am talking about years and years ago.....you know, back during the Paranoid Android album days!
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • MarkGrace
      Grooveshark dick tease
      • Dec 2008
      • 31546

      #422
      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      This week? I am talking about years and years ago.....you know, back during the Paranoid Android album days!
      Great album. My favorite, actually. They played SHA last night. Supposedly the first time since '03.
      So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

      Comment

      • TripletDaddy
        sweet triple
        • Nov 2008
        • 58186

        #423
        Originally posted by MarkGrace View Post
        Great album. My favorite, actually. They played SHA last night. Supposedly the first time since '03.
        lol.

        knock it off.
        Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

        sigpic

        Comment

        • MarkGrace
          Grooveshark dick tease
          • Dec 2008
          • 31546

          #424
          Just read this review.

          When did rock's artiest band become one of its most rhythmic? Armed for the first time with two - count 'em - two drummers (including guest banger Clive Deamer), the group leaned greedily into complex rhythms that chopped, barreled and roiled. The band's opening number, "Bloom," found them contrasting silvery, African guitar leads with beats that seemed to pull away from them with tribal force. The performance even featured a cameo for a third drum kit, pounded by guitarist Jonny Greenwood.
          Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/entertain...#ixzz1ZMUrEG8Z

          Based on their output, I would say sometime around 2000? Though TKOL has to be the peak of the rhythm-iness.
          So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

          Comment

          • MarkGrace
            Grooveshark dick tease
            • Dec 2008
            • 31546

            #425
            Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            lol.

            knock it off.
            Sorry. I read that last night when I was following the setlist. They also soundchecked it before the show. :condom:
            So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

            Comment

            • MarkGrace
              Grooveshark dick tease
              • Dec 2008
              • 31546

              #426
              I don't get why everyone reports that Radiohead played a cover when they use another song as the intro EIIRP. They're not really covers.
              So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

              Comment

              • Viking
                Banned
                • Jun 2009
                • 6470

                #427
                Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                Paranoid Android is not a radiohead album.

                This explains your exuberance for tkol.
                Neither was "Just". I'm fairly certain you could have figured out I wasn't referring to albums but rather the songs that defined each album.

                Comment

                • MarkGrace
                  Grooveshark dick tease
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 31546

                  #428
                  1. The guy who traveled 1,376 miles to see Radiohead and didn't have a ticket -- as his sign so helpfully explained outside Roseland before the show -- needs to read the fine print. No one's going to sell you a ticket. It's all Will Call, bro.

                  2. Well, now we know which band Bradley Cooper and Philip Seymour Hoffman can agree on. Cooper was spotted, um, dancing.

                  3. Why haven't Radiohead put "The Daily Mail" on a proper album yet? It's one of the best songs they've ever written -- a sinister, gorgeous, piano romp that ends like Sgt. Pepper tussling with Fugazi.

                  4. We love Thom Yorke's new, greasy long hair -- and guitarist Ed O'Brien's too. When Yorke shook and shimmied his was through "The National Anthem," "15 Step," and "Myxomatosis" -- his mop flying all around -- we felt a serious twinge of alt-rock nostalgia, a reminder that Radiohead was just one of the long-haired masses all those years ago.

                  5. And speaking of hair, Radiohead somehow found another bald, white, insanely talented British drummer! Phil Selway and new touring stickman Clive Deamer (who has previously worked with Portishead) looked like identical twins with their kits placed at opposite ends of the stage. "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi" never sounded as propulsive as it did last night.

                  6. Radiohead now are more of a dance band than a rock band. At Roseland, new tunes like "Morning Mr. Magpie" and "Lotus Flower" were all sweat and manic rhythm. For every guitar solo Jonny Greenwood used to rip back in the day, there was another clever polyrhythm from Selway or Deamer. And Yorke never, ever stopped moving. Neither did the crowd.

                  7. Is Yorke a good dancer, a bad dancer, or both? Whatever he is, he's entertaining, even adorable, to watch. He told the crowd that he realized he'd finally become "an embarrassing dad" after seeing the video for "Lotus Flower," which features Yorke in all his jive-stepping glory. So maybe he's just a good dancer for a 42-year-old with kids?

                  8. Radiohead aren't a studio band. Yes, they spend long, painful months in stuffy rooms crafting meticulous odes to post-millennial angst. But they dispense with all the bullshit live, while remaining breathtakingly inventive. Take "Feral," for example. A cold, claustrophobic instrumental from The King of Limbs became a seething, seemingly improvised fire-breather on stage with Greenwood's vintage guitar heroics.

                  9. It's actually pretty endearing when a band screws up, particularly one as fussy as Radiohead. Yorke skipped a verse on "Reckoner" and forgot the lyrics to "Street Spirit (Fade Out)" during the second and final encore. But it was all right. The man apologized. We all cheered. The show went on.

                  10. Radiohead know how to pay respects to their friends. Before diving into "Everything in its Right Place," Yorke -- a long-time confidant of Michael Stipe -- ran through a few verses of R.E.M.'s "The One I Love" at the piano. "This one goes out to the one I love / This one goes out to the one I've left behind," he sang, the crowd hushed. R.E.M. lasted 31 years before they called it quits. Radiohead might have similar staying power.
                  As they do so often, Radiohead startled fans by announcing last week that they would play two last-minute shows at New York City's Roseland Ballroom on


                  On point 8 I agree and disgree -- guess it just depends on the album. In Rainbows they absolutely nailed in the studio. There's not a single song on there that I think is better live than the studio take. But on TKOL and HTTT, yeah, whiffed on a handful of the studio versions.
                  So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                  Comment

                  • Commando
                    Explosivo
                    • Feb 2009
                    • 20748

                    #429
                    Thom and Jonny on Fallon tonight...
                    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                    Comment

                    • BoylenOver
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 9146

                      #430
                      Janice Whaley covers "I Will"



                      She covered The Smiths' entire catalog using only her own voice (plus a computer to mix together the tracks). I think she's terrific.
                      "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                      "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                      Comment

                      • Commando
                        Explosivo
                        • Feb 2009
                        • 20748

                        #431
                        wow.. time to get stoked!

                        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                        Comment

                        • BoylenOver
                          Junior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 9146

                          #432
                          Tour dates announced:

                          Radiohead will be playing some shows in Australia and Japan in May and June 2027. Tickets available only by registering here.


                          Broomfield CO is an 8-hour drive from Salt Lake.
                          "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                          "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                          Comment

                          • Commando
                            Explosivo
                            • Feb 2009
                            • 20748

                            #433
                            Radiohead in AZ, Bizznitches!!! STOKE.
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                            Comment

                            • Moliere
                              One man.....one pie
                              • Oct 2009
                              • 27877

                              #434
                              I'm surprised they are using the Toyota Center especially when the Woodlands has an awesome outdoor pavilion. Maybe they don't think it'll be warm enough in March, but they'll be wrong. Either way I'll likely go.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                              Comment

                              • MarkGrace
                                Grooveshark dick tease
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 31546

                                #435
                                Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                                I'm surprised they are using the Toyota Center especially when the Woodlands has an awesome outdoor pavilion. Maybe they don't think it'll be warm enough in March, but they'll be wrong. Either way I'll likely go.
                                They want to play indoors on this tour because they think the sound of the new record is more suited to it.
                                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                                Comment

                                Working...