The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #1

    The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

    Official trailer for next December :rockon1:

    [YOUTUBE]T90Holdcrps[/YOUTUBE]

    I have really high hopes for this movie and am so relieved that PJ took control before irreversible damage could be done. For as epic and wonderful as the LOTR trilogy has been, there is still a part of me that will permanently be scarred by the bulbous-headed cartoon Bilbo of my childhood. I am confident that this latest iteration will help salve some wounds.

    Nerd roll call NOW!
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic
  • Soccermom
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 4063

    #2
    Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post

    Nerd roll call NOW!
    Present!

    Comment

    • Commando
      Explosivo
      • Feb 2009
      • 20748

      #3
      Holla!!!

      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

      Comment

      • pellegrino
        miserere me
        • Jan 2009
        • 12100

        #4
        nerds and geeks, the lot of you.
        Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
        God forgives many things for an act of mercy
        Alessandro Manzoni

        Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

        pelagius

        Comment

        • Color Me Badd Fan
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2009
          • 12519

          #5
          That entire Hobbit cartoon is on YouTube. I actually think parts of it are okay. The voice work is really good. John Huston as Gandalf was pretty cool.
          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

          Comment

          • Commando
            Explosivo
            • Feb 2009
            • 20748

            #6
            Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
            That entire Hobbit cartoon is on YouTube. I actually think parts of it are okay. The voice work is really good. John Huston as Gandalf was pretty cool.
            Ew. If I'm not mistaken it was rendered in the same creepymation as the Godmakers' animated segments...
            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

            Comment

            • wuapinmon
              Soul Plumber
              • Dec 2008
              • 30711

              #7
              Present
              "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
              The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

              Comment

              • woot
                Resident Science Cop
                • Nov 2008
                • 5531

                #8
                I'm totally onboard, but I'll admit that the very somber and serious mood of the LotR films showing up again in the Hobbit trailer takes some getting used to. I'm glad it's consistent, but there aren't a lot of popular movies that seem as deliberate and contemplative as these. In context, it totally works. But I can see why people make fun of them a lot.

                Comment

                • Green Lantern
                  Has overcome great fear
                  • Aug 2009
                  • 2289

                  #9
                  Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  I have really high hopes for this movie and am so relieved that PJ took control before irreversible damage could be done. For as epic and wonderful as the LOTR trilogy has been, there is still a part of me that will permanently be scarred by the bulbous-headed cartoon Bilbo of my childhood. I am confident that this latest iteration will help salve some wounds.

                  Nerd roll call NOW!
                  Oh I'll be there, but is anyone else more than a little disappointed that Guillermo del Toro dropped out as director? I love Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy, but I was also looking forward to seeing a different vision of Middle Earth in the Hobbit movies. I'm sure they'll still be good, but I'm afraid they will also feel a bit familiar.
                  Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                  None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                  I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                  --Portland Ute

                  Comment

                  • Commando
                    Explosivo
                    • Feb 2009
                    • 20748

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Green Lantern View Post
                    Oh I'll be there, but is anyone else more than a little disappointed that Guillermo del Toro dropped out as director? I love Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy, but I was also looking forward to seeing a different vision of Middle Earth in the Hobbit movies. I'm sure they'll still be good, but I'm afraid they will also feel a bit familiar.
                    I am a bit conflicted. I know I'm getting a good product w PJ and that he takes his art direction seriously, and also like that the Tolkein material will match aesthetically, but I was looking forward to the crazy insane visuals from GdT as well... Hellboy 2 and Pan's Labyrinth sold me on his competence as a master of fantasy cinema.
                    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                    Comment

                    • TripletDaddy
                      sweet triple
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 58186

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Green Lantern View Post
                      Oh I'll be there, but is anyone else more than a little disappointed that Guillermo del Toro dropped out as director? I love Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy, but I was also looking forward to seeing a different vision of Middle Earth in the Hobbit movies. I'm sure they'll still be good, but I'm afraid they will also feel a bit familiar.
                      not only am I not "more than a little disappointed," I am extremely relieved. I'm not interested in Bill of the Bull's vision of Middle Earth. PJ's works, it is magical and it is critically acclaimed. Now there is continuity across the entire series.
                      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                      sigpic

                      Comment

                      • Green Lantern
                        Has overcome great fear
                        • Aug 2009
                        • 2289

                        #12
                        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                        not only am I not "more than a little disappointed," I am extremely relieved. I'm not interested in Bill of the Bull's vision of Middle Earth. PJ's works, it is magical and it is critically acclaimed. Now there is continuity across the entire series.
                        That's a rather unadventurous perspective. It's easy to forget how off-the-wall the choice of Peter Jackson as director sounded when they began making the original trilogy. Part of the greatness of those movies was seeing this unique and unexpected vision up on the screen for the first time. Now he's made his statement and I'd rather see someone else's vision up there on screen. Unless Peter Jackson is dramatically rethinking his approach (and the trailer suggests he hasn't,) I already have a pretty good idea what his Hobbit is going to look like. Where's the fun in that? I'd like a little surprise.

                        Besides, Jackson was always going to be on board as the producer of the new films, so I think we could have had the best of both worlds with del Toro: a Middle Earth seen through the perspective of a different visionary director that still kept a strong continuity with the original films.
                        Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

                        None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

                        I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

                        --Portland Ute

                        Comment

                        • wuapinmon
                          Soul Plumber
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 30711

                          #13
                          I wonder how successful something with this kind of known-quantity reception might do if a studio gave the film to two different directors with the same cast and same budget, had them each make a film, and then see which one got better reception at the box office. Sort of like an Iron Director. I'd imagine it would make money.
                          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                          Comment

                          • dabrockster
                            Senior Member
                            • Aug 2009
                            • 10964

                            #14
                            :rockon2::rockon2::rockon2:

                            Comment

                            • TripletDaddy
                              sweet triple
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 58186

                              #15
                              Originally posted by Green Lantern View Post
                              That's a rather unadventurous perspective. It's easy to forget how off-the-wall the choice of Peter Jackson as director sounded when they began making the original trilogy. Part of the greatness of those movies was seeing this unique and unexpected vision up on the screen for the first time. Now he's made his statement and I'd rather see someone else's vision up there on screen. Unless Peter Jackson is dramatically rethinking his approach (and the trailer suggests he hasn't,) I already have a pretty good idea what his Hobbit is going to look like. Where's the fun in that? I'd like a little surprise.

                              Besides, Jackson was always going to be on board as the producer of the new films, so I think we could have had the best of both worlds with del Toro: a Middle Earth seen through the perspective of a different visionary director that still kept a strong continuity with the original films.
                              His statement always included an attempt at the Hobbit. He wasn't finished after LOTR. But for financial squabbles between PJ and the studio, Bull would never have been given any sort of consideration because PJ was always the guy.

                              If someone else wants to re-interpret these on their own, be my guest. But this is still PJ's vehicle and I want to see him finish it. It is obvious that the studio does, as well and my guess is that the fans will not be turned away by the continuity between the LOTR series and the Hobbit. Why is it disappointing to see that Bag End looks the same in the Hobbit as it did in LOTR? It is the same house, it should look the same.

                              Another director can start clean and do it themselves, rather than jumping on at the very end with the Hobbit, gravy-training off the success of LOTR, which is largely what BDT or any other director would have been doing. If BDT really brings that much value to the table, he can raise dough and reboot LOTR in a couple of years. I doubt that would ever happen, though. Thank goodness.
                              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                              sigpic

                              Comment

                              Working...