No announcement yet.

The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok... this might be a little embarrassing.

I'd heard about a new western that was good, (couldn't remember the name) and I saw a western show (with horse and wagon) on netflix and thought that was the one so I gave it a shot. The first episode drew me in... the second kept me... and now I've watched 6 in the space of a few days. It's called Anne with an E. Set in Nova Scotia in the late 1890's and it's a loose remake of the classic Anne of Green Gables. The little actress playing the lead role of Anne... is better than good. Her range of emotion and ability to play the part and deliver the complicated language is really remarkable. I like it... even thought it's made for tweener girls.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
    -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Yeah, I made it 3-4 episodes and pulled the plug.
      boooo. awesome show

Comment

• Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
        Ok... this might be a little embarrassing.

I'd heard about a new western that was good, (couldn't remember the name) and I saw a western show (with horse and wagon) on netflix and thought that was the one so I gave it a shot. The first episode drew me in... the second kept me... and now I've watched 6 in the space of a few days. It's called Anne with an E. Set in Nova Scotia in the late 1890's and it's a loose remake of the classic Anne of Green Gables. The little actress playing the lead role of Anne... is better than good. Her range of emotion and ability to play the part and deliver the complicated language is really remarkable. I like it... even thought it's made for tweener girls.
        That’s hilarious. You need to post Netflix recommends after binge watching that action.

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
          That’s hilarious. You need to post Netflix recommends after binge watching that action.
          Don't be embarrassed, Clack. My 12-year-old daughter is also a fan of that show.

My wife really didn't like it though. She said something about it was all wrong. Unfortunately I don't remember what that something is but I'll check in with her tonight and return to this discussion.
          "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
          "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
          This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
          "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
          "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

I hope people will not be afraid to post what others could easily mock but this may have crossed the line, you better go watch something manly tonight.

Comment

• If I told you guys how many times I've seen Pride and Prejudice, you'd kick me out of our cool club.

Let's just say that I love Phaeton's and Ponies.
              Last edited by clackamascoug; 11-20-2018, 12:21 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                The entire film is beautifully shot and the dialogue ranges from very good to outstanding. The Buster Scruggs segment is a classic that I'll watch repeatedly. The Coens take nearly every romanticized element of the Old West and point out how truly hard, even awful, that life was--they also seem to be getting increasingly nihilistic as they age. And yeah, the Liam Neeson and Oregon Trail bits were so very sad. The last segment is a fitting finish.
                I started watching it tonight knowing nothing about it. I had no idea it was a Coen brothers movie, and I just clicked it because it was at the top of the Netflix page. It played in the background while I was working, and I started paying attention in the Liam Neeson vignette, because I was intrigued by the limbless torso reciting poetry I hadn't heard for decades. When I saw Liam Neesom throw that boulder into the water, I thought it was genius. I immediately googled Buster Scruggs and saw it was a Coen Brothers project. My immediate reaction was, oh yeah that makes sense.
                "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
                  Don't be embarrassed, Clack. My 12-year-old daughter is also a fan of that show.

My wife really didn't like it though. She said something about it was all wrong. Unfortunately I don't remember what that something is but I'll check in with her tonight and return to this discussion.
                  If it's set in Nova Scotia, then yes they got it all wrong.

It's Clack that has it wrong though.

Comment

• Started the new Narcos show about Mexico Cartel. Really digging this show!!

Every season of this show has been great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Watched Buster Scruggs - Wanted further light and knowledge and found this. [spoiler]

https://screenrant.com/ballad-buster...s-explained/3/

Comment

Watched Buster Scruggs - Wanted further light and knowledge and found this. [spoiler]

https://screenrant.com/ballad-buster...s-explained/3/
                        That was a good read. Thanks.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          That was a good read. Thanks.
                          Agreed. All six sketches have been interesting to think about and while I don’t disagree with those summations, I saw All Gold Canyon from an environmentalist angle (which is odd as I’m not much of an environmentalist), watching how humans come in and spoil things--note how the wildlife, even the fish, scatter as the prospector enters, and watch from afar while man does his dirty work. But mankind can’t destroy everything. The old prospector, who’s actually a good man just trying to survive, and does what he can to restore things (e.g., putting most of the eggs back). It’s the most optimistic of the sketches, with good prevailing. Eventually man leaves and the world is restored.

Comment

• We watched Buster Scruggs last night. I loved it, Mrs. NWC not so much. I liked the last 3 stories the best, especially ‘the Girl Who Got Rattled’. The dialogue was as good as any Coen film. I especially loved the lighting of ‘the Mortal Remains’. I thought ‘Meal Ticket’ was good, but pretty somber for me to ‘enjoy’. Like PAC, I really liked the message of ‘All Gold Canyon’; it was the easiest to watch.
                            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                            - SeattleUte

Comment

• the Kominsky Method. Funniest thing on Netflix now.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                                Agreed. All six sketches have been interesting to think about and while I don’t disagree with those summations, I saw All Gold Canyon from an environmentalist angle (which is odd as I’m not much of an environmentalist), watching how humans come in and spoil things--note how the wildlife, even the fish, scatter as the prospector enters, and watch from afar while man does his dirty work. But mankind can’t destroy everything. The old prospector, who’s actually a good man just trying to survive, and does what he can to restore things (e.g., putting most of the eggs back). It’s the most optimistic of the sketches, with good prevailing. Eventually man leaves and the world is restored.
                                I like the environmentalist metaphor.

Definitely seemed to me that the owl/nature was sending some good mojo his way for leaving the 3 eggs behind “How high can a bird count anyway?”

Comment

Working...
                                X