The "did you know this streams on Netflix?" thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Jeff Lebowski
    Corporate lackey for Jesus
    • Nov 2008
    • 69702

    #2536
    Anyone watch Alex Honnold climb the tower in Taipei? Pretty cool to watch, but that has to be the least technical thing he had done. The degree of difficulty on that I am sure is a tiny fraction of what he did on El Capitan. That was insane.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

    Comment

    • PaloAltoCougar
      Semper infra dignitatem
      • Nov 2008
      • 16936

      #2537
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Anyone watch Alex Honnold climb the tower in Taipei? Pretty cool to watch, but that has to be the least technical thing he had done. The degree of difficulty on that I am sure is a tiny fraction of what he did on El Capitan. That was insane.
      Did you watch the intro with Mark Rober? He said that climbing the tower was more difficult in some ways, requiring more hand strength because glass and smooth metal is more difficult to grip than stone, or something like that. I didn't watch the entire climb and couldn't watch more than a couple of minutes at a time, fearful of what could happen. I'm curious how he got down--I assume there's a small entry point on top or that he could call Uber Heli.

      Comment

      • Jeff Lebowski
        Corporate lackey for Jesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 69702

        #2538
        Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

        Did you watch the intro with Mark Rober? He said that climbing the tower was more difficult in some ways, requiring more hand strength because glass and smooth metal is more difficult to grip than stone, or something like that. I didn't watch the entire climb and couldn't watch more than a couple of minutes at a time, fearful of what could happen. I'm curious how he got down--I assume there's a small entry point on top or that he could call Uber Heli.
        Yeah I saw that and thought it was just BS to hype the event.

        He rapelled from the tower to the top ledge and then took the elevator down.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

        Comment

        • PaloAltoCougar
          Semper infra dignitatem
          • Nov 2008
          • 16936

          #2539
          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

          Yeah I saw that and thought it was just BS to hype the event....
          Ha, could be. I fell for it.

          Comment

          • BigFatMeanie
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 7114

            #2540
            I don't like the idea of free climbing, no matter how skilled the climber, and I especially dislike the idea of televising and hyping it. Seems about as ethical as televising and hyping up someone playing Russian roulette.

            Comment

            • falafel
              loves to talk on things
              • Mar 2009
              • 37986

              #2541
              Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
              I don't like the idea of free climbing, no matter how skilled the climber, and I especially dislike the idea of televising and hyping it. Seems about as ethical as televising and hyping up someone playing Russian roulette.
              Remember when Philippe Petit walked a tight rope between the Twin Towers in 1974? (Man on a Wire doc)

              Or when Nik Wallenda walked across the Grand Canyon live on the Discovery Channel?
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

              Dig your own grave, and save!

              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69702

                #2542
                Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                I don't like the idea of free climbing, no matter how skilled the climber, and I especially dislike the idea of televising and hyping it. Seems about as ethical as televising and hyping up someone playing Russian roulette.
                Unlike the El Capitan free solo climb, the risk here was very small.

                I wonder how much he got paid for that.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • Copelius
                  Maker of eyeballs
                  • Dec 2012
                  • 4060

                  #2543
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

                  Unlike the El Capitan free solo climb, the risk here was very small.

                  I wonder how much he got paid for that.
                  I saw an article that said 500k
                  “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

                  Comment

                  • Bo Diddley
                    Senior
                    • Jul 2012
                    • 18790

                    #2544
                    Originally posted by falafel View Post

                    Remember when Philippe Petit walked a tight rope between the Twin Towers in 1974? (Man on a Wire doc)

                    Or when Nik Wallenda walked across the Grand Canyon live on the Discovery Channel?
                    I remember as a kid waiting for Evil Knievel to make a jump. He wanted to jump the Grand Canyon but was denied, so he was jumping somewhere else. I never got to see it because our family was going somewhere that day, and I think the jump kept getting delayed like maybe he was waiting for a favorable wind or something.

                    Comment

                    • PaloAltoCougar
                      Semper infra dignitatem
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 16936

                      #2545
                      Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

                      I remember as a kid waiting for Evil Knievel to make a jump. He wanted to jump the Grand Canyon but was denied, so he was jumping somewhere else. I never got to see it because our family was going somewhere that day, and I think the jump kept getting delayed like maybe he was waiting for a favorable wind or something.
                      I watched the tv broadcast of his attempt to jump the Snake River. Major whiff.

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69702

                        #2546
                        Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

                        I watched the tv broadcast of his attempt to jump the Snake River. Major whiff.
                        Ha. Yeah, that was the biggest disappointment ever.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • falafel
                          loves to talk on things
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 37986

                          #2547
                          Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

                          I watched the tv broadcast of his attempt to jump the Snake River. Major whiff.
                          My dad told me that story when I was younger, and maybe it was while we were passing the Dimple Dell gully (I grew up near that area). For years I believed that Evil Knievel attempted to jump the Dimple Dell gully on 1300 E. and 106 S. but failed.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                          Dig your own grave, and save!

                          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                          Comment

                          • Bo Diddley
                            Senior
                            • Jul 2012
                            • 18790

                            #2548
                            Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post

                            I watched the tv broadcast of his attempt to jump the Snake River. Major whiff.
                            Yes, I looked it up on the Google and I think that was it. I guess I didn't miss anything.

                            Comment

                            • dabrockster
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2009
                              • 10947

                              #2549
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              Anyone watch Alex Honnold climb the tower in Taipei? Pretty cool to watch, but that has to be the least technical thing he had done. The degree of difficulty on that I am sure is a tiny fraction of what he did on El Capitan. That was insane.
                              I watched it and gave me butterflies. I think what made me more nervous was all the people in the windows who could distract him. Going up the curves of the structures in the bamboo section was nerve-racking too. One small slip..

                              I can’t believe I ever went skydiving. Heights is an issue for me.

                              Comment

                              • Jeff Lebowski
                                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 69702

                                #2550
                                For a little perspective. And the one on the right was way more technical.

                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                                Comment

                                Working...