No announcement yet.

The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘The Iron Claw’. Wasn’t sure what to expect, though I heard good things about it. A lot of gratuitous beefcake shots of super cut Zac Efron in tighty whities made me a little curious, but I left with my sexuality intact. Interesting story. I was starting to think the director was piling on the tragedy to milk feelings from the audience. But then we got home and read the true story of the wrestling family. If anything, he dialed it back a bit.

Decent show. Solid B.
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
      Haven't seen it yet, but I'm going to see The Boys in the Boat on Tuesday...
      So, it was "OK". It's definitely worth seeing but the movie just basically told the basics of the story with very little character development. I think they could have really dug into the backgrounds and character of some of the guys and made it much more interesting. Good but not great.

Comment

• Gran Turismo on Netflix. Pretty enjoyable.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
          Gran Turismo on Netflix. Pretty enjoyable.
          Yeah, we saw that in the theater. I liked it.

Comment

• I took the kids to the Wonka movie last week and was pleasantly surprised. I figured I wouldn’t like it, but it was very enjoyable. Warning: they do sing some songs.
            "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
              I took the kids to the Wonka movie last week and was pleasantly surprised. I figured I wouldn’t like it, but it was very enjoyable. Warning: they do sing some songs.
              I was a big fan of Wonka. Loved it. I heard someone bagging on Chalamet for being a "horrible singer" that can't carry a tune. I thought he did great. Besides, he already has the biggest rap song of all time in terms of streams.

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• We saw Wonka yesterday. Loved it. And the guy who played Willy Wonka was awesome. Mrs. Diddley thought the song about the sweet tooth was written about me.

Comment

• I was also pleasantly surprised by Wonka, which I saw opening weekend. Granted, my expectations were nonexistent. I don't know if it had any basis at all in any Roald Dahl work, but it certainly felt like it. It had those humorously hateful and obnoxious villains that Dahl loves to write. It also had some musical numbers, which brought back some of that Gene Wilder Wonka vibe. I liked it a hell of a lot more than the Tim Burton Wonka, which I probably need to rewatch with the understanding that it is a Tim Burton movie and not a Roald Dahl adaptation (even though it is literally a faithful adaptation of the book and I recognize that).

I think I'm most surprised by learning that Wonka has hit $500M in international box office receipts. Wow!
                  "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• anyone see "American Fiction"? Interested if it is any good.
                    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

• some are pretty mad barbie from barbie wasnt nominated

Comment

• Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                        some are pretty mad barbie from barbie wasnt nominated

I enjoyed Barbie, but it was a pretty uneven show. I loved both Gosling and Robbie in, but Oscar worthy? Nah. Now costume, cinematography, or music? Yes those would be good nominations.
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Maximus View Post
                          some are pretty mad barbie from barbie wasnt nominated
                          I have been laughing all day about this. Long live the patriarchy. Lol.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I still watch a lot of movies, but none worth writing about (until today, the two most recent were Mean Girls and The Beekeeper--point made). That changed this afternoon with our viewing of American Fiction, starring the most excellent Jeffrey Wright and Sterling K. Brown who have to be among the leading contenders for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor, respectively. Very smartly written and performed. I won't provide a summary. Just watch the trailer, which I love. The movie is better.

Comment

• The Boys in the Boat...movie was okay to good....but didn't do the book nearly any justice.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                                I still watch a lot of movies, but none worth writing about (until today, the two most recent were Mean Girls and The Beekeeper--point made). That changed this afternoon with our viewing of American Fiction, starring the most excellent Jeffrey Wright and Sterling K. Brown who have to be among the leading contenders for Best Actor and Best Supporting Actor, respectively. Very smartly written and performed. I won't provide a summary. Just watch the trailer, which I love. The movie is better.

thanks I was wondering if it was worth the time.
                                "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

Working...
                                X