The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    Dune was another movie that was cut and released in multiple forms. Coincidentally, the director of the new Blade Runner is making a new Dune movie (probably two movies, actually). Dune is an incredible book and it's too bad that the 80s movie botched it so badly. It's a really great piece Sci-Fi IP that Hollywood hasn't bothered to touch in over 30 years, not counting the Sy-Fy tv series from a while back.
    I'm going with my boy to Dune Part 2. Supposedly they're leaving things wide open to make a 3rd. The first one probably barely broke even, it came out around Thanksgiving 2021, right before people really became gung ho about going to theaters again, though it seems like they were plenty excited to see that Spider Man movie.

I watched the 80s a movie again a while back. There are some things I like about it, I think the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the movie is quite good and the sets look great. The last half totally falls apart, you simply can't make this a single 2-3 hour movie. I can't blame David Lynch, I don't think the effects were available and the studio wasn't going to commit to two movies.

I thought the first one was well done. I like some of the casting, particularly Rebecca Ferguson, Javier Bardem and Josh Brolin. Charlotte Rampling is a great actress, she was in one of my all time favorites, The Verdict.

Hopefully they develop the Baron Harkonnen a little more in this movie. Supposedly Austin Butler does a good job as Feyd Rautha.
    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

I'm going with my boy to Dune Part 2. Supposedly they're leaving things wide open to make a 3rd. The first one probably barely broke even, it came out around Thanksgiving 2021, right before people really became gung ho about going to theaters again, though it seems like they were plenty excited to see that Spider Man movie.

I watched the 80s a movie again a while back. There are some things I like about it, I think the first 1/3 to 1/2 of the movie is quite good and the sets look great. The last half totally falls apart, you simply can't make this a single 2-3 hour movie. I can't blame David Lynch, I don't think the effects were available and the studio wasn't going to commit to two movies.

I thought the first one was well done. I like some of the casting, particularly Rebecca Ferguson, Javier Bardem and Josh Brolin. Charlotte Rampling is a great actress, she was in one of my all time favorites, The Verdict.

Hopefully they develop the Baron Harkonnen a little more in this movie. Supposedly Austin Butler does a good job as Feyd Rautha.
      I really liked the first movie. There were a couple of deviations from the book that weren't really necessay and I'm curious to see how they pull them off in this second movie as they will change some plot points.

i loved reading Dune when i was younger, but the further you move in the book seriea the more bizarre they got. I cant remember if Messiah is where it started to really get weird but I'd love another movie.

Comment

• I rewatched the movie again last weekend. The only deviation that I remember is Liet Kynes being a woman. I guess I don't remember all the bull fighting motifs in the book either. I read the book with my son a few years ago, so I've forgotten the difference now having seen the movie a few times. So, who knows.

We are going to Part 2 tomorrow afternoon. Sounds like it is getting great reviews.

Comment

• Going to see Dune 2 in IMAX 70 mm next week. Happen to be back in the OC again and it has one of the 12 theaters in the world showing it in that format. I also saw Oppenheimer there and it was awesome. In fact, I think that was the last time I have been to the theater.

Comment

• Dune Part 2 is very good, the director and cast should be commended. Rebecca Ferguson and Javier Bardem are again the best people in the movie. There are some deviations from the book, but it's well done. The scenes on Giedi Prime look amazing.
            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

Dune Part 2 is very good, the director and cast should be commended. Rebecca Ferguson and Javier Bardem are again the best people in the movie. There are some deviations from the book, but it's well done. The scenes on Giedi Prime look amazing.
              Agree. Excellent movie, and I guess we now know what is up with those Harkonnens.
              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Dune 2 was cool and IMAX was awesome. It is still a trip to watch a movie intended for that aspect ratio.

Comment

• Dune was great, really really fun, depressing, and stressful. Awesome in theater movie experience.

As a closet Dune fan I’ve been waiting for this experience for over 25 years and it was well worth the wait to see the first book encapsulated into two great films was a real treat.

Hope they do the next book as a two parter and after spin off the rest into a couple television mini series. I can’t see the third being a great movie experience, but I’d love to see Paul at the end of the second book.

Comment

• Finally was able to see Dune 2. Just visually stunning and paired with an amazing soundtrack. Loved it. I could see why they chose some deviations from the book to make for a better movie experience. The time jump would have been clunky. Chani and Paul's tragedy didn't need to be present. Chani was a bit of a pushover in the book and wouldn't have played that well. The killing of the Baron is too batshit for a movie to pull off (see lynch's Dune). Those were important details in the book but probably best to be left out. The fact that they got Anya Taylor-Joy for a 20 second cameo is funny as well.

Comment

• I haven't read Dune (not a big sci fi fan, sorry) and haven't seen the movies (among other reasons, Timothee Chalamet bugs me for some reason), but the praise for Dune 2 has been consistently very high among friends and critics. Do I need to read the book to truly enjoy the movie(s)? Should I watch the first before Dune 2?

Comment

• If you are not a SciFi fan and Timothy Chalamet bugs you, I don’t think you’ll like the movie.

I think the movie is about as well done as could be done with the story. If you are not into “out there” SciFi, the story isn’t going to be appealing.

You can try the first movie. If you don’t like that you won’t like the second. My wife and one son hated both movies.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                          I haven't read Dune (not a big sci fi fan, sorry) and haven't seen the movies (among other reasons, Timothee Chalamet bugs me for some reason), but the praise for Dune 2 has been consistently very high among friends and critics. Do I need to read the book to truly enjoy the movie(s)? Should I watch the first before Dune 2?
                          Have not read the book, but I am a big fan of both movies. Chalamet is great in the role.

On our recent trip to Jordan, we visited Wadi Rum where both movies were filmed. That got us more excited to catch Dune 2 when we got back. Saw it on iMax on Tuesday and loved it.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                            I haven't read Dune (not a big sci fi fan, sorry) and haven't seen the movies (among other reasons, Timothee Chalamet bugs me for some reason), but the praise for Dune 2 has been consistently very high among friends and critics. Do I need to read the book to truly enjoy the movie(s)? Should I watch the first before Dune 2?
                            No, you don't need to read the book. The movie adaptation narrative is perfect for the medium. The book is not your typical sci fi either. Its part fantasy, part sci fi, but a whole lot of political intrigue. The first book only has a few moments of truly bizarre (which doesnt make it into the movie), but the sequels get weird in hurry. Chalamet puts in a great performance. His other movies aren't like this. The movie really hones in on the power of mobs. Check.out the first movie (its streaming on Max), if you like it check out Dune 2 in imax while you can.

Comment

• Helpful comments all--I'll go ahead with Dune 1 (and I, too, like Wadi Rum!).

Comment

• I enjoyed Dune 2 much more than Dune. Reasons for this are:

I watched Dune on a plane to NZ, and I think I fell asleep at one point.
                                It was obvious from the start that Dune was a setup for the second, so it really doesn't stand on its own. The ending was flat.
                                I watched Dune 2 on the fake IMAX. Even though it isn't a film classic, watching it on a larger screen is great. There are some great scenes, some of them almost take your breath away-y. That one where Paul learns to ride the worm is amazing.

I am a fantasy nerd, not a sci-fi nerd; I haven't read the book. But you can appreciate the movie without reading it. It has some interesting things to say about faith and leaders who manipulate people who have it.
                                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X