No announcement yet.

The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This helps me understand it so much better.

"...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post

No, you don't need to read the book. The movie adaptation narrative is perfect for the medium. The book is not your typical sci fi either. Its part fantasy, part sci fi, but a whole lot of political intrigue. The first book only has a few moments of truly bizarre (which doesnt make it into the movie), but the sequels get weird in hurry. Chalamet puts in a great performance. His other movies aren't like this. The movie really hones in on the power of mobs. Check.out the first movie (its streaming on Max), if you like it check out Dune 2 in imax while you can.
      I've heard this a lot. I've read the book and see the 2 movies and I consider it all pretty bizarre already. I wouldn't characterize them as "limited bizarre".

I have no interest in reading subsequent books with that description.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post

I've heard this a lot. I've read the book and see the 2 movies and I consider it all pretty bizarre already. I wouldn't characterize them as "limited bizarre".

I have no interest in reading subsequent books with that description.
        Do you find the abilities of the Bene Gesserit to be the bizarre part? It's fairly standard fantasy fare. It's clear George Lucas got the idea of the force from Herbert. He just made it more encompassing and kid friendly. I'll concede the way Herbert describes it is almost like a psychedelics trip, but I don't really find it odd for the genre. The weirdest thing about the first book in my mind is the appearance of Alia. The movie rightly passes on her introduction for Dune 2. If there is a Dune 3, she'll get plenty of screen time. Dune Messiah is still good, even as things really get bizarre.

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
          This helps me understand it so much better.

Brilliant! Lol

Comment

• The Gom Jabbar test. The Mentat calculating people (not really addressed in the movies). There is lots of bizarre stuff.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, but also not palatable to all. And yes, much of the SciFi world falls in a similar vein. Herbert's work really has driven the genre.

As far as Star Wars goes, the Bene Geserit-Jedi/Force, the crysknife-light saber, worms-sarlacc pit, lots of desert stuff, even spice mines are mentioned in Star Wars. Those are off the top of my head, there's plenty more. There's no doubt that George Lucas built on a lot of the ideas and made them more palatable to a mainstream audience.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
              The Gom Jabbar test. The Mentat calculating people (not really addressed in the movies). There is lots of bizarre stuff.

It's not necessarily a bad thing, but also not palatable to all. And yes, much of the SciFi world falls in a similar vein. Herbert's work really has driven the genre.

As far as Star Wars goes, the Bene Geserit-Jedi/Force, the crysknife-light saber, worms-sarlacc pit, lots of desert stuff, even spice mines are mentioned in Star Wars. Those are off the top of my head, there's plenty more. There's no doubt that George Lucas built on a lot of the ideas and made them more palatable to a mainstream audience.
              If you read the first book you should at minimum read the second.

Messiah is a super quick read, less than 300 pages, and is a nice cap to Dune. I can see Messiah as a great movie. The ending, would be an incredible movie ending and allow Denis to stop making Dune films. He’s not going to make 5-6 Dune films, I’m just hoping he does Messiah in his style and gives us a natural stopping point for Paul. If he forges forward with Children I’d be over the moon but I think the divergence from the source material would have to be pretty profound for it to make sense with the subtle changes they’ve made thus far.

God Emperor of Dune is where it gets wonky, like actually bonkers weird. I loved it but I’ve only met a few people IRL that have read that far into the series and aren’t total nerd fest loons that love wonky stuff. Like the type of guy who plays long form board games.

Dune is the GOAT, it’s the inspiration for Star Wars and GOT. The stories for both are lifted from Dune.

Comment

• Originally posted by fusnik View Post
                Which is why I avoid reading the first book of any series.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

Which is why I avoid reading the first book of any series.

Comment

• I also saw Dune 2 (electric boogaloo) with my oldest over the weekend. Both installments have been awesome. Visuals, acting, sound/music, pacing, etc. are really entertaining.

I haven’t read the books.
                    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by fusnik View Post

Messiah is a super quick read, less than 300 pages, and is a nice cap to Dune. I can see Messiah as a great movie. The ending, would be an incredible movie ending and allow Denis to stop making Dune films. He’s not going to make 5-6 Dune films, I’m just hoping he does Messiah in his style and gives us a natural stopping point for Paul. If he forges forward with Children I’d be over the moon but I think the divergence from the source material would have to be pretty profound for it to make sense with the subtle changes they’ve made thus far.

God Emperor of Dune is where it gets wonky, like actually bonkers weird. I loved it but I’ve only met a few people IRL that have read that far into the series and aren’t total nerd fest loons that love wonky stuff. Like the type of guy who plays long form board games.

Dune is the GOAT, it’s the inspiration for Star Wars and GOT. The stories for both are lifted from Dune.
                      I had a friend who was so crazy about Dune he even read Brian Herbert's prequels. I tried to read some of them but they weren't that great. His view of the original book changed because it often times contradicted the characters as described in the prequels. It was annoying.

Comment

• I very strongly recommend that anyone with access to HBO (MAX) watch the documentary, The Truth vs. Alex Jones, which dropped last night. It focuses on Jones's years-long claims that the slaughter of dozens of people, many small children, at Sandy Hook in December 2012 was staged. The interviews with the parents are ineffably sad, including one with a father who described holding his six-year-old son who had a bullet hole in his head. The LDS father (Robbie Parker) of one victim was singled out by Jones as an actor because video showed Parker laughing newvously before giving a day-after press conference during which he broke down. Jones's claim resulted in years of threats and attacks on Parker and his family.

As a result of Jones's programs (during which he was always selling various useless products that made him millions), more than 75 Million people believe (or at least believed before the recent trials), that Sandy Hook was fake. If people are that gullible and responsive to conspiracy theories, it's easy to understand Trump's appeal among a depressingly large group of idiots.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                          As a result of Jones's programs (during which he was always selling various useless products that made him millions), more than 75 Million people believe (or at least believed before the recent trials), that Sandy Hook was fake. If people are that gullible and responsive to conspiracy theories, it's easy to understand Trump's appeal among a depressingly large group of idiots.
                          I recently engaged in an argument with an ICU nurse who is convinced the world is flat. I know several ICU nurses who had front row seats during the worst of covid and turned what they witnessed first hand into a fiction that matched the right wing narrative. 1984 is becoming reality right before our eyes.

Comment

• And yet when you bring up Jones on CB some people sincerely argue that the judgment against him was terrible because he didn't actually hurt anyone.

Comment

• Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                              And yet when you bring up Jones on CB some people sincerely argue that the judgment against him was terrible because he didn't actually hurt anyone.
                              Imagine being called a fraud and receiving death threats after burying your six-year-old child. And this lasted for several years. No damage done! As horrific as any mass shooting is, the Sandy Hook massacre has affected me more deeply than any other, probably because I personalize it, imagining the sheer terror those children suffered during their final moments and how overwhelming it had to be for their parents. Some of the parents talk about the fun conversations and hugs they'd shared just that morning, seeing the Christmas gifts they had purchased for their child, and knowing their lives would never, could never, be the same.

P.S. I just re-read this article from LDS Living that doesn't mention Jones or all the pain he inflicted, directly or indirectly, on the Parkers. Rather, it focuses on the tremendous help the Parkers received from the Church and their faith. Some deeply moving moments, and a welcome uplift from the depressing movie. Interestingly, it becomes much easier to forgive the shooter than scum like Jones.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                                I very strongly recommend that anyone with access to HBO (MAX) watch the documentary, The Truth vs. Alex Jones, which dropped last night. It focuses on Jones's years-long claims that the slaughter of dozens of people, many small children, at Sandy Hook in December 2012 was staged. The interviews with the parents are ineffably sad, including one with a father who described holding his six-year-old son who had a bullet hole in his head. The LDS father (Robbie Parker) of one victim was singled out by Jones as an actor because video showed Parker laughing newvously before giving a day-after press conference during which he broke down. Jones's claim resulted in years of threats and attacks on Parker and his family.

With all due respect, learning more details about why Alex Jones is a horrible person seems like a form of torture at this point. I think I will pass.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X