The "last movie I saw" thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • COUGALICIOUS
    Junior Member
    • May 2010
    • 85

    #496
    Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
    I loved Flipped but it never got into wide release. The studio was hoping for a word-of-mouth campaign to work, but looks like that didn't happen. Watch for it on DVD.
    I will, thanks.
    "I wouldn't give a nickel for the simplicity on this side of complexity, but I would give my life for the simplicity on the other side of complexity."

    -Kyle Whittingham

    Comment

    • Slim
      Straight Out the Trailer
      • Jul 2009
      • 1007

      #497
      Originally posted by Surfah View Post
      I watched Sugar on HBO. I think MarkGrace recommended it awhile back in another thread. It's a great character piece about a Dominican kid trying to escape poverty through baseball. I really liked it. And boy does my Spanish needs a tune up because I could barely understand anything Dominicans say.

      Anyway, if you're a baseball fan or character piece fan you should check it out. As far as I could tell the depiction was pretty accurate of how things are. I had a 28 year old mission companion from Nicaragua who was drafted by the Dodgers and he told me it was pretty tough.
      I served my mission in the DR. Your Spanish is probably fine. Dominicans just have a very different way of speaking than most other Spanish speakers. I remember getting off the plane in the DR after going through the MTC and feeling pretty good about my Spanish only to be able to understand 0% of what anyone was saying.

      Comment

      • MarkGrace
        Grooveshark dick tease
        • Dec 2008
        • 31546

        #498
        I've never been able to understand Carribean Spanish speakers, but I also have a hard to understanding certain English accents. When you are naturally tuned to hearing something one way, it can be hard when that thing sounds so different.
        So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

        Comment

        • Surfah
          Where's Wallace?
          • Nov 2008
          • 33726

          #499
          Originally posted by Slim View Post
          I served my mission in the DR. Your Spanish is probably fine. Dominicans just have a very different way of speaking than most other Spanish speakers. I remember getting off the plane in the DR after going through the MTC and feeling pretty good about my Spanish only to be able to understand 0% of what anyone was saying.
          I baptized a part member family. The husband was an RM Mexican who grew up mostly in the states. His wife and her children though were Dominican and I struggled understanding them. I was grateful that we had the husband to sit in on lessons with us to help.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

          Comment

          • BoylenOver
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 9146

            #500
            "Oldboy"

            Very interesting and unique. It's the first movie I can remember with that quality of dubbing. Maybe I've been watching too many foreign-language films recently.
            "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
            "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

            Comment

            • Green Lantern
              Has overcome great fear
              • Aug 2009
              • 2289

              #501
              Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
              "Oldboy"

              Very interesting and unique. It's the first movie I can remember with that quality of dubbing. Maybe I've been watching too many foreign-language films recently.
              The version you watched was dubbed into English?
              Kids in general these days seem more socially retarded...

              None of them date. They hang out. They text. They sit in the same car or room and don't say a word...they text. Then, they go home and whack off to internet porn.

              I think that's the sad truth about why these kids are retards.

              --Portland Ute

              Comment

              • OhioBlue
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 1129

                #502
                finally watched Scott Pilgrim.

                Awesome. the beginning half I thought was better than the 2nd, but I really enjoyed just about everything about this film. Looking forward to getting the soundtrack.

                Comment

                • BoylenOver
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 9146

                  #503
                  Originally posted by Green Lantern View Post
                  The version you watched was dubbed into English?
                  Yes, it was. I'm assuming that's atypical?
                  "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                  "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                  Comment

                  • MarkGrace
                    Grooveshark dick tease
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 31546

                    #504
                    You must have just had the dubbing on instead of the subtitles. I did that on accident.
                    So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

                    Comment

                    • Donuthole
                      Official Outgayer
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 25268

                      #505
                      I finally got around to seeing The Big Lebowski. Funny shiz. Bridges and Goodman were great, but I think Buschemi's character was my favorite for some reason, even though his role was much, much smaller. Jesus was awesome as well.

                      "I'm throwin' rocks tonight! Mark it!"
                      Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                      There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                      Comment

                      • falafel
                        loves to talk on things
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 37987

                        #506
                        Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                        I finally got around to seeing The Big Lebowski. Funny shiz. Bridges and Goodman were great, but I think Buschemi's character was my favorite for some reason, even though his role was much, much smaller. Jesus was awesome as well.

                        "I'm throwin' rocks tonight! Mark it!"
                        "I can get you a toe. Hell I can get you a toe by 3 o'clock. With nail polish. F'n amateurs."
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                        Dig your own grave, and save!

                        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                        Comment

                        • Surfah
                          Where's Wallace?
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 33726

                          #507
                          In the last 24 hours I watched the Hangover and Old School. Those are great movies. Great. I also watched Starsky and Hutch because it was on HBO. And truth be told I only watched for the Brande Roderick locker room scene and turned that crap off. My goodness Owen Pochman.
                          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                          -Turtle
                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • Bastage
                            Junior Member
                            • Jan 2010
                            • 298

                            #508
                            Just watched The Deer Hunter for the first time in my life. That might be the most depressing movie I've ever seen.

                            Comment

                            • Hsaru
                              Junior Member
                              • Mar 2009
                              • 1109

                              #509
                              Yea Let the Right One in defaults to dubbing, but I changed it in the blu ray settings. You lose a lot of the acting in movies like LTROI and oldboy with dubs.

                              Comment

                              • Hsaru
                                Junior Member
                                • Mar 2009
                                • 1109

                                #510
                                Yeah those russian roulette scenes in Deer Hunter are some of the most intense scenes in film.

                                Comment

                                Working...