Official Photography Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nice work as always, Swampfrog.

I ran down to the "office" for about 40 minutes yesterday to try and catch a glimpse of this guy. It's a Couch's kingbird. Typically limited to Mexico and South Texas, this is the first record of it in the state of Nevada. It was a crappy, bad light overcast day (we have 2-3 a year here) so getting a good shot was challenging. Can't say that I was very successful.

Couch's Kingbird.jpg

Also caught this Pied-billed grebe out for a swim.

Pied billed grebe.jpg
    I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Not the best shot, but it was almost dark, and the sky's reflection was very pretty.
      "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

• Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
        Not the best shot, but it was almost dark, and the sky's reflection was very pretty.
        That has a nice mood to it, the blue colors are very nice.

Comment

• Wow, Swampfrog. Just gorgeous. Especially the redhead. Brings new meaning to "her hair is her crown."

I guess this post belongs here.

I finally found out what app people are using to make themselves seem gorgeous. It's an ios app, so I didn't know about it until after I returned to the iphone universe after many years with android. I've had experience with photoshop and all of the lite photoshop software products, but this one is simply amazing. I used to hate retouching my photos- it was so tedious. Now I just edit them on my ipad while watching TV. The app is called facetune and is a bargain at $4.99. I guess it was made for amateurs to edit their own selfies, but it really helps me do my retouching. It also does real post processing (S-curves etc) but I havent tried that yet.

This model pic comes with the app. It took me about 15 minutes to raise her cheekbones, narrow her chin, straighten her nose, remove her skin flaws, smooth out her skin, whiten her teeth, enhance her eyes, and defocus some of her stray hair. I left two blemishes (one over her eyebrow and one on her cheek, and left some of the stray hair so that she didn't look too magazine-style finished. If I have one complaint with this-- I airbrushed her skin too much. And in raising her cheeks I made her eyes too almond shaped.

Last edited by Katy Lied; 03-11-2015, 04:18 PM.

Comment

• I can only see one photo, KL.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              I can only see one photo, KL.
              Better than me, I can't see either one?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                I can only see one photo, KL.
                Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                Better than me, I can't see either one?
                I used to see one, now I see none. Tricky software you've got there, Katy.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                  I used to see one, now I see none. Tricky software you've got there, Katy.
                  I see both on tapatalk.
                  PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Let's try again:

Comment

• Looks a bit overprocessed though. PC application PerfectlyClear is pretty good with almost one-click portrait work.
                      Couple of minutes.

24919978885729c07b8db05e0e343610-Edit.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                        Looks a bit overprocessed though. PC application PerfectlyClear is pretty good with almost one-click portrait work.
                        Couple of minutes.

[ATTACH]5611[/ATTACH]
                        You both forgot to photoshop some clothes on that bare shoulder. What kind of site do you think JL's running here, anyway? Scandalous.

Comment

• Katy's Original // Gimp plugins G'MIC (1.6.0.4) + Tone Enhancer (self-authored):

Untitled.jpg
                          Attached Files
                          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• I see what you guys mean about over processed. If Swampfrog doesn't mind, here is an illustration featuring his lovely daughter. (I added a watermark) Sorry I blew these up so large.

Here is his daughter with a very light skin smoothing. I tried to be as light as possible.

Here is the original photo without any smoothing by me. Her face has so many lovely lines and angles. It makes her face interesting, and more importantly, it makes her face unique. What the smoothing seems to do is deletes all of her facial angles. This means that her wrinkles disappear, but it makes her face go from 3 dimensional to 2 dimensional. I feel like we lose part of her unique look or identity. It's like botox for photographic portraits, and Kim Kardassian uses it all the time.

I also note that the gorgeous shadows cast onto her face by the morning light also become muted, making the portrait less interesting. So I guess that if your client wants you to make them look pinup perfect, you do a lot of retouching, but not so sure there is room for this in fine art photography.
                            Last edited by Katy Lied; 03-12-2015, 03:01 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Katy Lied View Post
                              I see what you guys mean about over processed. If Swampfrog doesn't mind, here is an illustration featuring his lovely daughter. (I added a watermark) Sorry I blew these up so large.

Here is his daughter with a very light skin smoothing. I tried to be as light as possible.

Here is the original photo without any smoothing by me. Her face has so many lovely lines and angles. It makes her face interesting, and more importantly, it makes her face unique. What the smoothing seems to do is deletes all of her facial angles. This means that her wrinkles disappear, but it makes her face go from 3 dimensional to 2 dimensional. I feel like we lose part of her unique look or identity. It's like botox for photographic portraits, and Kim Kardassian uses it all the time.

I also note that the gorgeous shadows cast onto her face by the morning light also become muted, making the portrait less interesting. So I guess that if your client wants you to make them look pinup perfect, you do a lot of retouching, but not so sure there is room for this in fine art photography.
                              This same daughter recently discovered FaceTune or something similar and exclaimed that why had she not discovered this before as it makes her look "flawless". I mentioned, yeah flawless like a plastic mannequin is flawless.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
                                That has a nice mood to it, the blue colors are very nice.

Thanks, that photo is unedited, by the way. KatyLied will surely mock my "Nikon colors."
                                "Yeah, but never trust a Ph.D who has an MBA as well. The PhD symbolizes intelligence and discipline. The MBA symbolizes lust for power." -- Katy Lied

Comment

Working...
                                X