This Ol' Truck

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • mUUser
    Giggity
    • Jul 2009
    • 1142

    #16
    Drive a MB GL550 SUV, but thinking about adding a Toyota Tundra 5.7L Crewmax to the mix. Heard anything good/bad about those?

    Comment

    • FN Phat
      I ♥ gateway sex
      • Feb 2009
      • 8691

      #17
      Originally posted by mUUser View Post
      Drive a MB GL550 SUV, but thinking about adding a Toyota Tundra 5.7L Crewmax to the mix. Heard anything good/bad about those?
      The Tundra is quickly becoming one of my favorite trucks. A great truck with plenty of power and reliabilty of a Toyota. For what ever reason the only one that I like is the all white.
      I'm your huckleberry.


      "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

      Comment

      • Donuthole
        Official Outgayer
        • Nov 2008
        • 25266

        #18
        Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
        It's not a truck, but my '95 Suzuki swift (The Jellybean) has helped me haul the tools and supplies necessary for many a home improvement job. I bought from a grandma in a trailer park for around $3500 just 3 days after returning from my mission. She had put only 20,000 miles on it over the previous five years, but she was getting remarried, and her fiance gave her a new Jetta for an engagement present.

        It now has 145k on it. I've had to replace the clutch cable (twice--i've concluded there is a design flaw in that the cable has to come at too shallow an angle through the firewall, and therefore drags across the opening) the CV joints once, and the drive axles once. Other than that it has only needed regular maintenance. I have been in five different minor accidents in the car (none of which have been my fault, thank you) and was even rear ended by a guy driving a $70,000 Mercedes, once. The 'bean suffered a split seam in the bumper. His Benz needed a new grill.

        I have driven the 'bean between St. George and Ogden/SLC/Provo at least a hundred times, and have taken it on road trips to Colorado Springs, Phoenix, LA, San Diego, and San Francisco.

        Some of my greatest exploits in the 'bean:

        - Proposing to Mrs. Donut
        - Opening my first law school grades (the lawyers out there know what a big deal this is the first time)
        - Driving Mrs. D to the hospital for the delivery of our first child
        - Picked up a multi-million dollar client from the airport (I'm pretty sure his luggage that I hoisted through the hatchback into the back seat was worth more than my car)
        -Stopping on the side of I-15 near Fillmore when it turned 100k miles, and taking pictures while jumping up into the air, reminicent of the old Toyota commercials
        - Getting it Valet parked at the Wynn

        Sadly, it appears my time with The Jellybean is drawing to an end. Our family has all but outgrown our other daily driver, and it looks like we'll be purchasing a mini van or a smallish SUV here in the next 6 months. Mrs. D will drive the new purchase, and i'll likely take over driving our other car, leaving the 'bean as the odd vehicle out. I don't know if i'll sell it (NADA value is less than $100--that's right $100) but I can't see it sitting in our driveway taking up space, either. Perhaps i'll donate it to charity.

        Regardless of where it ends up, the 'bean has been a solid investement, lasting me through junior college, college, law school, and my first 3+ years of being an attorney. There are some things I won't miss about the 'bean, but there are a lost more things that I will.
        I sold the 'bean last night. I'd be lying if said I wasn't a little saddened to watch it drive off. After all, it has been a daily part of my life for the last 9.5 years.

        On the bright side, it needed a new water pump ($35 part plus $450 labor!) as well as a lot of other repairs, so I feel fortunate to have sold it for 6.3 times its Edmunds True Market Value.
        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

        There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

        Comment

        • falafel
          loves to talk on things
          • Mar 2009
          • 37973

          #19
          Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
          I sold the 'bean last night. I'd be lying if said I wasn't a little saddened to watch it drive off. After all, it has been a daily part of my life for the last 9.5 years.

          On the bright side, it needed a new water pump ($35 part plus $450 labor!) as well as a lot of other repairs, so I feel fortunate to have sold it for 6.3 times its Edmunds True Market Value.
          6.5 times 0 is 0, my friend. That's nothing to be proud of. When does Mrs. D get her new car?
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

          Dig your own grave, and save!

          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

          Comment

          • Pheidippides
            Liberal Feminazi
            • Nov 2008
            • 14759

            #20
            Not to threadjack donute's threadjack, but I am pretty sure I'm going to be swapping out my car for a truck in the next calendar year. Thinking about going with a Tacoma (don't really need a full-size, and will definitely use the off-road capabilities).
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

            Comment

            • Donuthole
              Official Outgayer
              • Nov 2008
              • 25266

              #21
              Originally posted by falafel View Post
              6.5 times 0 is 0, my friend. That's nothing to be proud of. When does Mrs. D get her new car?
              We're looking. Supposedly a friend can get us into the auto auction, where we can pick up a screamin' deal. But it has been a couple weeks since he offered, and no dice. But for the time being, we're down to one car, which totally blows.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

              There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

              Comment

              • Mormon Red Death
                BYU Delenda Est
                • Nov 2008
                • 8077

                #22
                Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                Not to threadjack donute's threadjack, but I am pretty sure I'm going to be swapping out my car for a truck in the next calendar year. Thinking about going with a Tacoma (don't really need a full-size, and will definitely use the off-road capabilities).
                Dude... At least buy American the one thing they actually do the the best.
                "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

                "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

                Comment

                • jxncoog
                  Non-tourist
                  • Oct 2009
                  • 126

                  #23
                  Or the depths of Spring...

                  Originally posted by landpoke View Post
                  Even during the chilling depths of winter it is beautiful.

                  Comment

                  • FN Phat
                    I ♥ gateway sex
                    • Feb 2009
                    • 8691

                    #24
                    I drove The Beast to Nashville and back this morning to pick up my sister from the airport. My FIL kept offering me to take his car. It was almost as if he thought that the truck wouldn't make it that far (this is the same truck that we filled the bed with concrete and drove it around the back yard so we wouldn't waste it. It was left overs from a driveway extension that we made a patio with). I told him, full of man-pride, that I could drive to Cali and back with no worries. I refused his offer of a fully loaded sedan and fired up the 'Ol Truck and started my trek. I then said a quick prayer that she was going to make the trip without any diffuculties.
                    I'm your huckleberry.


                    "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                    Comment

                    • fusnik
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 4475

                      #25
                      Who here has a Tundra?

                      Are you glad you bought that vs an F150/Chev/Dodge?

                      Comment

                      • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                        Time to camp
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 26082

                        #26
                        Originally posted by fusnik View Post
                        Who here has a Tundra?

                        Are you glad you bought that vs an F150/Chev/Dodge?
                        I have an 08, I just celebrates my 4 year anniversary. Best vehicle I've ever owned. Great to drive, powerful, I'd never go back to the Silverado. It has 140k on it, runs like a beast. I'm hoping to make it to 200k, 2 more camp seasons give or take, and then probably get a Sequoia so I can fit the whole fam. If I didn't have a gang of kids I'd get another Tundra no questions asked.
                        Get confident, stupid
                        -landpoke

                        Comment

                        • Uncle Ted
                          The Big 12 money shot.
                          • Apr 2010
                          • 28853

                          #27
                          Originally posted by fusnik View Post
                          Who here has a Tundra?

                          Are you glad you bought that vs an F150/Chev/Dodge?
                          I have a 2000 Tundra. She has survived 4 kids driving her and is still going strong with 120K+ miles. I have pulled boats, moved kids to and back from college (2400 mile round trip), and hauled snowmobiles up the mountain. The only thing I have done is change the oil regularly, installed a new battery, and done a tune up. I have been thinking I should have the timing belt changed soon. If I were to buy a new truck I would take a close look at the F150 or just get what I know that would do the job (another Tundra).
                          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                          Comment

                          • clackamascoug
                            Banned
                            • Dec 2009
                            • 9709

                            #28
                            Anybody else rocking one of these? I've got the passanger version made by Mercedes in Germany. It's the best vechicle I've ever had. I use it in three different configurations. Business mode where I can haul stuff. Family mode, with the seats in we can go vast distances in supreme comfort. I also have a camper mode, which it's in today, that has a bed, desk, chair, and lush carpet. My wife and I are in Boise helping her mother, and I'm in the van as we speak sitting in my office chair at a desk with my laptop. I slept in the van last night as it's preferable to sleeping with my wife in a tiny bed and a hot stuffy room. I've only got 91,000 on it, but I'm hoping to get 400+ out of it over the life of the rig.

                            Last edited by clackamascoug; 08-21-2012, 10:29 AM.

                            Comment

                            • Drunk Tank
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2009
                              • 2569

                              #29
                              Originally posted by fusnik View Post
                              Who here has a Tundra?

                              Are you glad you bought that vs an F150/Chev/Dodge?
                              I have a '10 Crewmax. I love mine. I had an f150 before. The Tundra is more comfortable, has plenty of power and tows really nice.
                              "I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - Tommy Callahan III

                              Comment

                              • ERCougar
                                Junior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 10978

                                #30
                                Originally posted by fusnik View Post
                                Who here has a Tundra?

                                Are you glad you bought that vs an F150/Chev/Dodge?
                                I have an 5.7L with an 8 ft bed. And I love it more every day.
                                But I would never want to drive it around Manhattan. It's literally 20 ft long.
                                At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                                -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                                Comment

                                Working...