Random stuff worth reading on the internet thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Uncle Ted
    The Big 12 money shot.
    • Apr 2010
    • 28853

    #436
    Originally posted by creekster View Post
    Asian Americans suit against Ivy League. Interesting stuff.

    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...xi-BqxNUWUHsQ4
    Asian Americans should just identify as being black, hispanic, or, like Liz, Native American...

    aMlmuvciaXIyCC5Erah3haLOZL-hfVmXnVjgA8VwkFE.jpg
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

    Comment

    • creekster
      It is NOT a monkey!
      • Nov 2008
      • 22661

      #437
      Random stuff worth reading on the internet thread

      Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
      Asian Americans should just identify as being black, hispanic, or, like Liz, Native American...

      [ATTACH]9168[/ATTACH]
      One of the interesting things (to me at least) in the article was the fact that there are consultants who specialize in making an application sound less Asian.
      Last edited by creekster; 10-22-2018, 07:46 PM.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

      Comment

      • Northwestcoug
        Cocked and Loaded
        • May 2011
        • 18029

        #438
        Thanks for those depressing reads. I had missed those when they ran.

        How I wish the last part of this quote would have remained true:

        The purpose of all this posturing is clear; Trump very badly wants to be taken seriously as a potential political candidate and not be written off as a man-boy who cried wolf. But, at the same time, he plainly has no interest in actually running for office.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

        Comment

        • BigPiney
          Huge Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 12367

          #439
          https://medium.com/s/powertrip/how-i...o-47a44ac3b95a

          Interesting story of an undercover ATF agent.

          Comment

          • mtnbiker
            it's all a blur
            • Mar 2009
            • 2573

            #440
            Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
            https://medium.com/s/powertrip/how-i...o-47a44ac3b95a

            Interesting story of an undercover ATF agent.
            I don't know how they do it. That would be so scary all the time.

            Comment

            • Scott R Nelson
              UofU/BYU mixed marriage
              • Apr 2010
              • 1508

              #441
              Palm oil was supposed to save the planet. Instead, it unleashed a catastrophe.

              From the New York Times:

              https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/20/m...tastrophe.html

              Why biofuels don't reduce carbon emissions nearly as much as claimed. If you don't want to read the whole thing, the first section covers the main points.

              The law of unintended consequences.

              Comment

              • Flystripper
                Degenerate Gambler
                • Nov 2008
                • 14094

                #442
                clack. How does one read a video?
                Dyslexics are teople poo...

                Comment

                • Northwestcoug
                  Cocked and Loaded
                  • May 2011
                  • 18029

                  #443
                  Interesting article on the Orangeburg massacre, which I had never heard of. Three black students were killed on campus by state troopers after their protest became unruly. The protest was in part due to a still segregated bowling alley.

                  I know little of the civil rights movement, but I was surprised at how late open segregation continued to happen. If you had to guess, what was the last year segregation in the south was still sanctioned?

                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

                  Comment

                  • happyone
                    Board Bookworm
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 5398

                    #444
                    Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                    Interesting article on the Orangeburg massacre, which I had never heard of. Three black students were killed on campus by state troopers after their protest became unruly. The protest was in part due to a still segregated bowling alley.

                    I know little of the civil rights movement, but I was surprised at how late open segregation continued to happen. If you had to guess, what was the last year segregation in the south was still sanctioned?

                    https://www.postandcourier.com/news/...240bdda75.html
                    I personally can remember black and white restrooms and drinking fountains. I'm guessing mid to late 60's at the earliest
                    Last edited by happyone; 02-11-2019, 06:01 PM.

                    I may be small, but I'm slow.

                    A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

                    Comment

                    • Northwestcoug
                      Cocked and Loaded
                      • May 2011
                      • 18029

                      #445
                      Originally posted by happyone View Post
                      I personally can remember black and white restrooms and drinking fountains. I'm guessing mid to late 60's at the earliest
                      This was in 1968. Like I said, I am ignorant of the details of the civil rights movement. I just didn't see it growing up in the west. But I thought that was crazy it happened just a couple of years before I was born.
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

                      Comment

                      • Northwestcoug
                        Cocked and Loaded
                        • May 2011
                        • 18029

                        #446
                        I think I shall become a Rick Steves disciple, SU’s anti-socialism’s rants be damned. This is a really well written article about him:

                        https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...vel-world.html
                        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

                        Comment

                        • happyone
                          Board Bookworm
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 5398

                          #447
                          Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                          I think I shall become a Rick Steves disciple, SU’s anti-socialism’s rants be damned. This is a really well written article about him:

                          https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...vel-world.html
                          Nice article - I guess I'm a ricknick - I'm always dvr his show.

                          I may be small, but I'm slow.

                          A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

                          Comment

                          • BigPiney
                            Huge Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 12367

                            #448
                            This is one of my favorite XKCDs"


                            The church was getting rid of the old globe they had in there, so I snagged it and brought it to work. Using this I was able to determine that the globe was made in 1952-53.

                            Comment

                            • Northwestcoug
                              Cocked and Loaded
                              • May 2011
                              • 18029

                              #449
                              Quick interesting multimedia article about a woman from a Mexican tribe descended from runaway slaves during the Civil War:

                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

                              Comment

                              • Northwestcoug
                                Cocked and Loaded
                                • May 2011
                                • 18029

                                #450
                                Really good story about Popovich, his love of food and wine, and how that helps his teams:

                                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                                - SeattleUte

                                Comment

                                Working...