Random stuff worth reading on the internet thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Northwestcoug
    Cocked and Loaded
    • May 2011
    • 18039

    #271
    Originally posted by Surfah View Post
    I know. I cried and I thanked God for 4 healthy girls and asked Him to keep them that way. There's a girl who lives in our hood with DIPG. She's absolutely gorgeous and perfect in every way. I haven't seen her in a couple months and I'm afraid to ask anyone about her.
    That is a super rare tumor. I hope I never see one.
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

    Comment

    • Surfah
      Where's Wallace?
      • Nov 2008
      • 33726

      #272
      Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
      That is a super rare tumor. I hope I never see one.
      I know of three cases in our city. 2 have passed already.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

      Comment

      • Northwestcoug
        Cocked and Loaded
        • May 2011
        • 18039

        #273
        Originally posted by Surfah View Post
        I know of three cases in our city. 2 have passed already.
        Wow, that seems high. Granted, I rarely see pediatric brain tumors.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

        Comment

        • Surfah
          Where's Wallace?
          • Nov 2008
          • 33726

          #274
          Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
          Wow, that seems high. Granted, I rarely see pediatric brain tumors.
          It seems extraordinarily high given Fredericksburg isn't the largest city. In fact I was shocked to learn it was so rare because of the three cases I'm familiar with.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

          Comment

          • Northwestcoug
            Cocked and Loaded
            • May 2011
            • 18039

            #275
            Terrible story of a couple convicted of satanic child abuse, who have finally been exonerated after 20+ years. I can't believe something like this could happen today.

            The 1992 prosecution of Fran and Dan Keller came amid the mass hysteria known as the Satanic Panic. The couple was formally exonerated Tuesday in Austin.
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

            Comment

            • HuskyFreeNorthwest
              Time to camp
              • Nov 2008
              • 26082

              #276
              Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
              Terrible story of a couple convicted of satanic child abuse, who have finally been exonerated after 20+ years. I can't believe something like this could happen today.

              https://theintercept.com/2017/06/20/...ever-happened/
              That's about the same time as the West Memphis Three isn't it?
              Get confident, stupid
              -landpoke

              Comment

              • Northwestcoug
                Cocked and Loaded
                • May 2011
                • 18039

                #277
                Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                That's about the same time as the West Memphis Three isn't it?
                I had to look that one up. Yeah, it was around the same time. That sounds like a horribly prosecuted case also.
                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                - SeattleUte

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69752

                  #278
                  Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                  Terrible story of a couple convicted of satanic child abuse, who have finally been exonerated after 20+ years. I can't believe something like this could happen today.

                  https://theintercept.com/2017/06/20/...ever-happened/
                  Horrible.

                  Wasn't there a similar case in California at about the same time?
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • Northwestcoug
                    Cocked and Loaded
                    • May 2011
                    • 18039

                    #279
                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Horrible.

                    Wasn't there a similar case in California at about the same time?
                    I don't recall a specific case. But I remember the national satanic child abuse hysteria around that time. Crazy to believe that Salem-esque hysteria can grip our society today.
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

                    Comment

                    • BigFatMeanie
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 7123

                      #280
                      Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                      I don't recall a specific case. But I remember the national satanic child abuse hysteria around that time. Crazy to believe that Salem-esque hysteria can grip our society today.
                      It seems like Salem-esque hysteria is exactly what is happening with the "outrage industry". They go after people's employment, boycotts, doxxing, etc. Essentially turning people into pariahs because they said something offensive or supported a position that the outraged didn't like. It may not happen under the judicial system but it's a Salem-esque witch hunt nonetheless.

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69752

                        #281
                        Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                        It seems like Salem-esque hysteria is exactly what is happening with the "outrage industry". They go after people's employment, boycotts, doxxing, etc. Essentially turning people into pariahs because they said something offensive or supported a position that the outraged didn't like. It may not happen under the judicial system but it's a Salem-esque witch hunt nonetheless.
                        You beat me to it. If anything, things have gotten worse, not better. The internet and social media fuel this.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • creekster
                          It is NOT a monkey!
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 22661

                          #282
                          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Horrible.

                          Wasn't there a similar case in California at about the same time?
                          You might be thinking of the mcmartin pre school case. It was a big mess.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                          Comment

                          • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                            Time to camp
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 26082

                            #283
                            Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                            I had to look that one up. Yeah, it was around the same time. That sounds like a horribly prosecuted case also.
                            Three part documentary on HBO, really well done. Highly recommend.
                            Get confident, stupid
                            -landpoke

                            Comment

                            • Armenag
                              Arbiter
                              • Jun 2012
                              • 292

                              #284
                              Came across an old piece by E.B. White - "Death of a Pig":

                              https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...th-pig/309203/

                              He was a wonderful writer. In terms of material and quality reminds me of Flannery O'Connor's "Living with a Peacock":

                              When I was five, I had an experience that marked me for life. Pathé News sent a photographer from New York to Savannah to take a picture of a chicken of mine. This chicken, a buff Cochin Bantam, ha…


                              Great to read pieces by writers so in command of their work.

                              Comment

                              • Jeff Lebowski
                                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 69752

                                #285
                                Originally posted by creekster View Post
                                You might be thinking of the mcmartin pre school case. It was a big mess.
                                Yes! That's the one.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                                Comment

                                Working...