Random stuff worth reading on the internet thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Northwestcoug
    Cocked and Loaded
    • May 2011
    • 18028

    #256
    Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
    Phew! I'm glad I'm on the east side of the Cascades!
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

    Comment

    • Bo Diddley
      Senior
      • Jul 2012
      • 18800

      #257
      Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
      My boss at work had me read this article when it first came out. It's fascinating how some pretty smart people were able to piece everything together. There's a 1:3 chance of this disaster occurring in the next 50 years. And let's not get started on what a Mount Rainier eruption would do.

      Comment

      • wuapinmon
        Soul Plumber
        • Dec 2008
        • 30711

        #258
        Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
        My boss at work had me read this article when it first came out. It's fascinating how some pretty smart people were able to piece everything together. There's a 1:3 chance of this disaster occurring in the next 50 years. And let's not get started on what a Mount Rainier eruption would do.
        As I write this, my sister is moving to Seattle.
        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

        Comment

        • Bo Diddley
          Senior
          • Jul 2012
          • 18800

          #259
          Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
          As I write this, my sister is moving to Seattle.
          Gorgeous area, but I'll never consider moving there because of this.

          Comment

          • Uncle Ted
            The Big 12 money shot.
            • Apr 2010
            • 28853

            #260
            Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
            My boss at work had me read this article when it first came out. It's fascinating how some pretty smart people were able to piece everything together. There's a 1:3 chance of this disaster occurring in the next 50 years. And let's not get started on what a Mount Rainier eruption would do.
            Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
            As I write this, my sister is moving to Seattle.
            My daughter is moving to Seattle as well and will be working as a Geotechnical Engineer... There should be plenty of work for her.
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

            Comment

            • Art Vandelay
              Striving for mediocrity
              • Jul 2009
              • 10516

              #261
              One of the best articles I've read in awhile. The story of an American family keeping a Filipino servant (slave!) for generations.

              https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-story/524490/

              She was 18 years old when my grandfather gave her to my mother as a gift, and when my family moved to the United States, we brought her with us. No other word but slave encompassed the life she lived. Her days began before everyone else woke and ended after we went to bed. She prepared three meals a day, cleaned the house, waited on my parents, and took care of my four siblings and me. My parents never paid her, and they scolded her constantly. She wasn’t kept in leg irons, but she might as well have been...

              Comment

              • falafel
                loves to talk on things
                • Mar 2009
                • 37987

                #262
                Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
                One of the best articles I've read in awhile. The story of an American family keeping a Filipino servant (slave!) for generations.

                https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine...-story/524490/
                That was a great article. The author, sadly, recently died as well.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                Dig your own grave, and save!

                "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                Comment

                • falafel
                  loves to talk on things
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 37987

                  #263
                  Interesting article about prosecutorial misconduct in the Clark County DA's office that lead to the conviction of an innocent man. The two prosecutors in the 1992 case are now both district court judges.

                  But there was evidence Steese had been 670 miles away at the time — and prosecutors in Las Vegas didn’t share it. The prosecutors went on to win seats as state district court judges, where they still sit. Steese went to prison for life with no possibility of parole. That would have remained his fate except that, somehow, in a life with few breaks, Steese finally caught one. Prodded by his original attorney, the federal public defender sent a team burrowing into the prosecution’s files and ultimately dismantled its case.
                  Fred Steese served more than 20 years in prison for the murder of a Vegas showman even though evidence in the prosecution’s files proved he didn’t do it. But when the truth came to light, he was offered a confounding deal known as an Alford plea. If he took it he could go free, but he’d remain a convicted killer.
                  Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                  Dig your own grave, and save!

                  "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                  "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69711

                    #264
                    Originally posted by falafel View Post
                    Interesting article about prosecutorial misconduct in the Clark County DA's office that lead to the conviction of an innocent man. The two prosecutors in the 1992 case are now both district court judges.

                    https://www.propublica.org/article/a...dmitting-guilt
                    Ugh... Prosecutors can be evil bastards sometimes.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • old_gregg
                      scaly man fish
                      • Nov 2009
                      • 16915

                      #265
                      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      Ugh... Prosecutors can be evil bastards sometimes.
                      prosecutors are like cops. some good and noble ones, lots of bad and very dumb ones.
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                      Comment

                      • Donuthole
                        Official Outgayer
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 25268

                        #266
                        I love Judge Cadish. My first trial as an attorney was also her first trial as a judge, so we'll always share that bond (FTR, I won). I also really respect Judge Herndon, so I was surprised to see that he was involved in this (though I remember hearing about it vaguely back in 2011-12). I'll spare you my thoughts on the other judges mentioned in this article, as Las Vegas is a very small legal community. Stu Bell was recently my mediator where we settled a case for policy limits, but the settlement pretty much happened in spite of him, not because of him.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                        There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                        Comment

                        • Bo Diddley
                          Senior
                          • Jul 2012
                          • 18800

                          #267
                          Operation Plowshare

                          I came across this somewhat randomly, and found it interesting. Among other things, they considered using nukes to carve out a path for I-40.

                          Proposed uses for nuclear explosives under Project Plowshare included widening the Panama Canal, constructing a new sea-level waterway through Nicaragua nicknamed the Pan-Atomic Canal, cutting paths through mountainous areas for highways, and connecting inland river systems. Other proposals involved blasting underground caverns for water, natural gas, and petroleum storage. Serious consideration was also given to using these explosives for various mining operations. One proposal suggested using nuclear blasts to connect underground aquifers in Arizona. Another plan involved surface blasting on the western slope of California's Sacramento Valley for a water transport project.

                          Comment

                          • Surfah
                            Where's Wallace?
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 33726

                            #268
                            Mitch Albom details how he became a dad and lost his daughter to DIPG. It's a long, heavy read.

                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • old_gregg
                              scaly man fish
                              • Nov 2009
                              • 16915

                              #269
                              Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                              Mitch Albom details how he became a dad and lost his daughter to DIPG. It's a long, heavy read.

                              http://www.freep.com/story/sports/co...b2c1dbc048ee66
                              man...
                              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                              Comment

                              • Surfah
                                Where's Wallace?
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 33726

                                #270
                                Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                                man...
                                I know. I cried and I thanked God for 4 healthy girls and asked Him to keep them that way. There's a girl who lives in our hood with DIPG. She's absolutely gorgeous and perfect in every way. I haven't seen her in a couple months and I'm afraid to ask anyone about her.
                                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

                                Comment

                                Working...