The Official Civil War Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Coach McGuirk
    1
    • Nov 2008
    • 12109

    #76
    Was McClellan just a idiot or did he not have the stomach to make war? Despite always having a larger force, he would wait too long to attack, being attacked himself (7 day battles) or even when he could claim victory, he was too cautious (Battle of Antietam). Always asking for more men, he seemed paranoid that he was outnumbered. Were the costs too heavy for him to bear, did he not have any confidence in himself, or was he just a bumbling dolt? I can't figure it out.

    Comment

    • LA Ute
      Receiver of Memory
      • Nov 2008
      • 19512

      #77
      Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
      Was McClellan just a idiot or did he not have the stomach to make war? Despite always having a larger force, he would wait too long to attack, being attacked himself (7 day battles) or even when he could claim victory, he was too cautious (Battle of Antietam). Always asking for more men, he seemed paranoid that he was outnumbered. Were the costs too heavy for him to bear, did he not have any confidence in himself, or was he just a bumbling dolt? I can't figure it out.
      I think it was a combination of things. My pet theory (and I have no idea if anyone who knows more than I do about the Civil War shares it) is that McClellan was the military equivalent of a player's coach. He loved his men, and they loved him. Maybe it was too hard for him to send them into battle. That has to be the most difficult thing about being a general. (Think of Eisnehower on the eve of D-Day, knowing he was sending thousands of men to their deaths.) The successful ones get over it, I guess, but I am glad I am not one of them. I don't know that I could.
      “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
      ― W.H. Auden


      "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
      -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


      "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
      --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

      Comment

      • wuapinmon
        Soul Plumber
        • Dec 2008
        • 30711

        #78
        As to a natural death, check out the 1871 Rio Branco Law in Brazil.
        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

        Comment

        • happyone
          Board Bookworm
          • Mar 2009
          • 5398

          #79
          Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
          Was McClellan just a idiot or did he not have the stomach to make war? Despite always having a larger force, he would wait too long to attack, being attacked himself (7 day battles) or even when he could claim victory, he was too cautious (Battle of Antietam). Always asking for more men, he seemed paranoid that he was outnumbered. Were the costs too heavy for him to bear, did he not have any confidence in himself, or was he just a bumbling dolt? I can't figure it out.
          Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
          I think it was a combination of things. My pet theory (and I have no idea if anyone who knows more than I do about the Civil War shares it) is that McClellan was the military equivalent of a player's coach. He loved his men, and they loved him. Maybe it was too hard for him to send them into battle. That has to be the most difficult thing about being a general. (Think of Eisnehower on the eve of D-Day, knowing he was sending thousands of men to their deaths.) The successful ones get over it, I guess, but I am glad I am not one of them. I don't know that I could.
          FWIW, my pet theory is that McClellan took too much councel of his fears. He had intel people, ie Pinkerton, reinforcing his preconcieved notions of the enemys order of battle and end strength and that caused him to hesitate when he should have been decisive. I also think there is something in LA Utes theory. He loved his men and they loved him back.

          Antietam should have been a cakewalk, if any battle can be described that way - he had Lee's plans for petes sake! but he did not use them effectively.

          I may be small, but I'm slow.

          A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

          Comment

          • Paperback Writer
            Signature won a Pulitzer
            • Nov 2010
            • 5211

            #80
            Originally posted by happyone View Post
            FWIW, my pet theory is that McClellan took too much councel of his fears. He had intel people, ie Pinkerton, reinforcing his preconcieved notions of the enemys order of battle and end strength and that caused him to hesitate when he should have been decisive. I also think there is something in LA Utes theory. He loved his men and they loved him back.

            Antietam should have been a cakewalk, if any battle can be described that way - he had Lee's plans for petes sake! but he did not use them effectively.
            Agree. I would add that McClellan had a resource advantage and wanted to us it to full effect. But it's not easy getting all of those resources arrayed for an offensive. I also think he knew his enemy fairly well and understood that any major fight would come with significant losses especially if he wasn't able to take full advantage of his resouces (so he hesitated). Contrast that with Grant in 1864-65. Grant wasn't enamored of his men and realized that while the North could sustain large casualties, the South could not.

            Lee understood that if he waited for McClellan to line up all of his men and cannon and the Union attacked at their choice of location; his army would be crushed. So he attacked first with relentlessness.
            “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
            "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

            Comment

            • happyone
              Board Bookworm
              • Mar 2009
              • 5398

              #81
              While we are discussing Lil Mac - this is not a bad look at Lincolns relationship with McCellan

              It tends to be pro Lincoln, but I think it give Mac a fair shake.

              [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lincoln-McClellan-Troubled-Partnership-President/dp/0230613497/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303935264&sr=1-3"]Amazon.com: Lincoln and McClellan: The Troubled Partnership between a President and His General (9780230613492): John C. Waugh: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51ei%2B73jUPL.@@AMEPARAM@@51ei%2B73jUPL[/ame]
              Last edited by happyone; 04-27-2011, 01:29 PM.

              I may be small, but I'm slow.

              A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

              Comment

              • Borderline Divine
                Junior Member
                • Jul 2010
                • 598

                #82
                Little Mac was a Democrat. He loathed Lincoln. His intellegence from Pinkerton was exagerrated as to the forces he faced. He couldn't grasp the concept that "hurling the invader" south of the Rappohanoc was not a victory. He always cried for more men, horses and materials. There was some talk among his syncophantic staff of him turning the army of the Potomoc around and seizing Washington. He was a martinette. Reading about him has always annoyed the hell out of me.

                His written and cable exchanges with Lincoln were infuriating. To paraphrase one: Mac - I cannot attack because my horses are fatigued and sore-tongued. Lincoln: Can you explain to me what your cavalry has done in the past three weeks that would cause any of them to be fatigued and sore-tongued?

                Another: Mac - The recent storms make it impossible for my army to move or my guns to be placed. Lincoln: As you are only across the river from the enemy, why would you think they would not experience the same hardship?

                But he never moved until he was damn well ready to.

                Also Lee had no respect at all for him. After one battle, Lee wrote in his report to Davis "Only McClellan would have hesitated to attack."
                The Holy War is over, and Utah won - Federal Ute

                Think of how stupid the average American is. Then remember that half are even dumber than that. - George Carlin

                Comment

                • happyone
                  Board Bookworm
                  • Mar 2009
                  • 5398

                  #83
                  Originally posted by Borderline Divine View Post
                  Little Mac was a Democrat. He loathed Lincoln. His intellegence from Pinkerton was exagerrated as to the forces he faced. He couldn't grasp the concept that "hurling the invader" south of the Rappohanoc was not a victory. He always cried for more men, horses and materials. There was some talk among his syncophantic staff of him turning the army of the Potomoc around and seizing Washington. He was a martinette. Reading about him has always annoyed the hell out of me.

                  His written and cable exchanges with Lincoln were infuriating. To paraphrase one: Mac - I cannot attack because my horses are fatigued and sore-tongued. Lincoln: Can you explain to me what your cavalry has done in the past three weeks that would cause any of them to be fatigued and sore-tongued?

                  Another: Mac - The recent storms make it impossible for my army to move or my guns to be placed. Lincoln: As you are only across the river from the enemy, why would you think they would not experience the same hardship?

                  But he never moved until he was damn well ready to.

                  Also Lee had no respect at all for him. After one battle, Lee wrote in his report to Davis "Only McClellan would have hesitated to attack."
                  All true, but on the plus side, he built the Army of the Potomac into a formidable fighting force. Unfortunately he never used it to its capabilities and lost his job over it, twice.

                  I think the Peninsula campaign was brilliant in theory and could have very well ended the war in '62.
                  Last edited by happyone; 04-27-2011, 01:31 PM.

                  I may be small, but I'm slow.

                  A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

                  Comment

                  • wuapinmon
                    Soul Plumber
                    • Dec 2008
                    • 30711

                    #84
                    When I was a kid, there were trenches in the woods near this spot at the top of the hill (to the left):


                    In 1986, someone bulldozed them to put in a trailer, which is now gone. This is on the southern edge of the Allatoona Gap (now submerged by Lake Allatoona). I wish I could've had a metal detector out there before it all got buried.

                    The address here is about 4000 Galts Rd. Acworth GA 30102.
                    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                    Comment

                    • Borderline Divine
                      Junior Member
                      • Jul 2010
                      • 598

                      #85
                      Originally posted by happyone View Post
                      All true, but on the plus side, he built the Army of the Potomac into a formidable fighting force. Unfortunately he never used it to its capabilities and lost his job over it, twice.

                      I think the Peninsula campaign was brilliant in theory and should have ended the war in '62.
                      He did greatly improve sanitation and food services to the army of the potomac. He's have probably made a dandy quartermaster. But of all the generals in the civil war, Burnside, Hood, you name him, I think he did less with more than any of them.

                      EDIT: Well I guess he didn't do worse than Pemberton, who lost his entire army, bag and baggage.

                      And then he ran against Lincoln in 1865.

                      Have you read Bruce Catton's 3 book series "The Army of the Potomac'? Brilliant.
                      Last edited by Borderline Divine; 04-27-2011, 01:38 PM.
                      The Holy War is over, and Utah won - Federal Ute

                      Think of how stupid the average American is. Then remember that half are even dumber than that. - George Carlin

                      Comment

                      • happyone
                        Board Bookworm
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 5398

                        #86
                        Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                        When I was a kid, there were trenches in the woods near this spot at the top of the hill (to the left):

                        ...

                        In 1986, someone bulldozed them to put in a trailer, which is now gone. This is on the southern edge of the Allatoona Gap (now submerged by Lake Allatoona). I wish I could've had a metal detector out there before it all got buried.

                        The address here is about 4000 Galts Rd. Acworth GA 30102.
                        Were those part of the defenses of Atlanta?

                        I may be small, but I'm slow.

                        A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

                        Comment

                        • happyone
                          Board Bookworm
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 5398

                          #87
                          Originally posted by Borderline Divine View Post
                          He did greatly improve sanitation and food services to the army of the potomac. He's have probably made a dandy quartermaster. But of all the generals in the civil war, Burnside, Hood, you name him, I think he did less with more than any of them.

                          And then he ran against Lincoln in 1865.

                          Have you read Bruce Catton's 3 book series "The Army of the Potomac'? Brilliant.
                          Yes and before I read Foote, I thought Catton was THE authority on the Civil War.

                          Lil Mac was a excellent trainer of troops, he just couldn't bring himself to use them for there intended purpose.

                          I may be small, but I'm slow.

                          A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

                          Comment

                          • Borderline Divine
                            Junior Member
                            • Jul 2010
                            • 598

                            #88
                            This takes about 15 minutes to read, but is well worth it. References a lot of books I haven't read nor heard of which I hope to be adding to my Civil War collection soon.

                            Learn why the Civil War was about more than ‘states’ rights’ and how internal Southern divisions doomed the Confederacy. Get informed today.
                            The Holy War is over, and Utah won - Federal Ute

                            Think of how stupid the average American is. Then remember that half are even dumber than that. - George Carlin

                            Comment

                            • Borderline Divine
                              Junior Member
                              • Jul 2010
                              • 598

                              #89
                              Originally posted by happyone View Post
                              Yes and before I read Foote, I thought Catton was THE authority on the Civil War.

                              Lil Mac was a excellent trainer of troops, he just couldn't bring himself to use them for there intended purpose.
                              I remember reading a review on Foote's excellent series that said "This project now finished, need not be attempted again."

                              Did you know he was a novelist before he took on that project?
                              The Holy War is over, and Utah won - Federal Ute

                              Think of how stupid the average American is. Then remember that half are even dumber than that. - George Carlin

                              Comment

                              • LA Ute
                                Receiver of Memory
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 19512

                                #90
                                By the way, has anyone else read "Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer?" It's about the search for John Wilkes Booth after the Lincoln assassination. Great read.

                                [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Manhunt-12-Day-Chase-Lincolns-Killer/dp/0060518499"]Amazon.com: Manhunt: The 12-Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer (9780060518493): James L. Swanson: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51mM4kWE3WL.@@AMEPARAM@@51mM4kWE3WL[/ame]
                                Last edited by LA Ute; 04-27-2011, 05:46 PM.
                                “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                                ― W.H. Auden


                                "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                                -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                                "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                                Comment

                                Working...