Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You got historical chops? The Timeguessr thread (spoiler alert)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
    5). 9918 pts
    0 yrs off -3.9 km A gimme on time; couldn't remember exactly where Juno Beach was.
    Did you recognize the troops as Canadians? Was it the identification on the ship? Recognize Juno Beach? Was it the bicycles? I missed any tips there.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      48,714. Probably a PR, one lucky guess led to being off by a total of only one year.

1) 9643 pts
      0 yrs off - 64.3 km. The relative absence of masks suggested Florida; went with somewhere in the middle on the coast.
      It being a Trump crowd, I figured it could have been anywhere and it would have been like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post

Did you recognize the troops as Canadians? Was it the identification on the ship? Recognize Juno Beach? Was it the bicycles? I missed any tips there.
        I was aware the Canadians had a bicycle brigade and assumed the beach was in the middle of the Gold/Juno/Sword swath. I've been there twice and would love to go again.

Comment

• Regression to the mean with today's 39,156, including an "oof" on 3.

Comment

1)9296 pts
            4 yrs off - 197.1 m - Gimme location

2)8823 pts
            5 yrs off - 3.5 km - picked a little too early

3)7533 pts
            2 yrs off - 1534.9 km - I was close in Mumbai.

4)3412 pts
            6 yrs off - 7095.9 km - Seeing "Florida" I tried to convince myself this could be in Miami. And too early.

5)9791 pts
            1 yrs off - 14.7 km - I was in Amsterdam.

Comment

• 36,281 - so bad in years

Comment

• 37,192 one with 14 and another with 21 years did me in.
                “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• 40,229. I can live with that. Biggest miss was guessing New Delhi instead of Sri Lanka, which cost me a bunch of location points. I was within a year or two on time on all of them, with the exception of the Berlin photo, which seemed much older than 2015 because of the awful quality. I guessed 2005 on that.
                  Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• 32,614 -- Might be an all time low.

1) 7495 pts 9 yrs off - 233.8 m - Guessed too early.
                    2) 6879 pts 11 yrs off - 5.3 km - Looked far and wide for the street, but it wasn't very close to the Tiergarten. Guessed way too early.
                    3) 6696 pts 1 yrs off - 2260.6 km - I guessed up by Bangladesh and Bhutan. The Budha sign made me think it might be over there.
                    4) 2512 pts 8 yrs off - 11970.8 km - I didn't pick up on it being Spanish words in the picture. I though the accent on Tucuman would put it around Hungary or Poland. Might be my worst all-time single score.
                    5) 9032 pts 4 yrs off - 42.0 km - Thought it looked rural, so just picked somewhere along the coast. Picked too recently.

Comment

4) 2512 pts 8 yrs off - 11970.8 km - I didn't pick up on it being Spanish words in the picture. I though the accent on Tucuman would put it around Hungary or Poland. Might be my worst all-time single score.
                      there were Argentinian flags in the photo.

Comment

Piker. Come talk to me and Pelado when you get to 12.
                        “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post

there were Argentinian flags in the photo.
                          Yeah, not my best effort today. I’m in a bit of a mood and it affected my effort.

Comment

Yeah, not my best effort today. I’m in a bit of a mood and it affected my effort.
                            Been there.

Comment

• 41,307 -- Better than yesterday, but not great

1) 9950 pts 0 yrs off - 1.8 km - Gave the year and the location on the license plate.
                              2) 9388 pts 0 yrs off - 112.3 km - Gave the year and a location, but I wasn't fooled. They don't use accents like that in Amsterdam. I went with Budapest because it looked Hungarian.
                              3) 7582 pts 7 yrs off - 317.5 km - The sign makes no sense if the pinned location is correct on the map. Belgrade and Kumanovo are in opposite directions. I picked next to Belgrade with is dumb. You should always pick close to the smaller city. It wouldn't be on the sign if it wasn't close. With the Cyrillic on the signs, I figured it was pre-war. I was wrong.
                              4) 5215 pts 9 yrs off - 1570.7 km - Struggled to think of a location. I didn't think the flag had any bearing at first, but then I found some nice big lakes with ferry services in them next to the mountains in Austria, so I ended up going there and was wrong. My first thought was Alaska, but figured there wouldn't have been the demand back then for that. I should have continued to go with the cruise mentality.
                              5) 9172 pts 1 yrs off - 278.2 km - Went with Birmingham.

Comment

1)9947 pts
                                0 yrs off - 2.1 km - gimme

2)8740 pts
                                0 yrs off - 759.6 km - gimme date. I was in Rome.

3)9135 pts
                                1 yrs off - 314.5 km - I picked close to Belgrade.

4)6724 pts
                                8 yrs off - 275.8 km - I was near Oslo and too early.

5)8904 pts
                                3 yrs off - 195.7 km - I picked Liverpool.

Comment

Working...
                                X