This this guy a prick or just trying to get a reaction?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #61
    Originally posted by YOhio View Post
    I'd like to see a topical breakdown of letter's to the editor. I could see 80%+ of all the letters focusing on about 15 topics. Honor Code, WOW, dating, library noise, etc.
    you only listed 4 topics yet you claim that there would be a focus of 15 topics. lol. another exaggeration by YOhio.
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • Jacob
      Junior Member
      • Oct 2009
      • 6801

      #62
      Originally posted by nikuman View Post
      I disagree completely. It is far more dangerous than any place I have ever been. It was much easier to be a faithful, practicing Mormon in NYC as a law student than it was at BYU. For me, at least. I'll grant you the physical threat one, though.
      I find that really strange, and think it is fairly unordinary. At least in my lived experience. Though I don't think it is necessarily difficult to live perfectly faithful in NYC or anywhere else. I just haven't seen many who found it more difficult at BYU. Quite the contrary.

      Comment

      • Indy Coug
        Heartless Bastard
        • Dec 2008
        • 18747

        #63
        Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
        I'm with Indy. So there are wackos at BYU. Whoopedeedoo. Just laugh at them and move on. You don't need to hang out with them. Find your niche with people you like and have a great time.
        My freshman and sophomore years, two of my best five friends were non-LDS non-athletes. The other three friends were LDS, but from very non-LDS areas. It's probably not a coincidence that was the demographics of my circle of friends. We weren't hell-raisers by any stretch of the imagination, we just weren't from the intermountain west corridor.
        Everything in life is an approximation.

        http://twitter.com/CougarStats

        Comment

        • byu71
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 22070

          #64
          I myself have a deal breaker.

          If she thinks when I experience stomach discomfort it is incumbent upon me to get up and go into the bathroom before releasing the cause of my discomfort. Sure, a guy could misjudge and an accident occur, but what the heck does someone think for better or worse means?

          Comment

          • SuperGabers
            aka... UtahDan's Wifey
            • May 2009
            • 2182

            #65
            Originally posted by byu71 View Post
            I myself have a deal breaker.

            If she thinks when I experience stomach discomfort it is incumbent upon me to get up and go into the bathroom before releasing the cause of my discomfort. Sure, a guy could misjudge and an accident occur, but what the heck does someone think for better or worse means?
            Depends on if it happens in an elevator or not...

            Comment

            • Pheidippides
              Liberal Feminazi
              • Nov 2008
              • 14759

              #66
              Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
              Were you already married by the time you got to NYC as a law student?
              Yes, but I'm not sure what that has to do with emotional and spiritual stability. I was also married for 3/4 of my time at BYU.
              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

              Comment

              • Donuthole
                Official Outgayer
                • Nov 2008
                • 25267

                #67
                Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                That is clearly a trolling effort.
                And a poor one at that. The best trolls are the ones who use enough nuance to really leave you guessing. Scott Gale failed in that effort, not unlike our own SeattleUte so often does.
                Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                Comment

                • byu71
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 22070

                  #68
                  Originally posted by SuperGabers View Post
                  Depends on if it happens in an elevator or not...
                  Elevators and other enclosed area's are where I test potential prospects.

                  Comment

                  • Color Me Badd Fan
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 12519

                    #69
                    Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                    Were you already married by the time you got to NYC as a law student?
                    I wasn't, and I agree with Nikuman on this point.
                    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                    Comment

                    • SuperGabers
                      aka... UtahDan's Wifey
                      • May 2009
                      • 2182

                      #70
                      Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                      Elevators and other enclosed area's are where I test potential prospects.

                      Comment

                      • Donuthole
                        Official Outgayer
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 25267

                        #71
                        Originally posted by scottie View Post
                        Or not... Raise your hand if you know/have known Mormons exactly like Scott Gale (raising my hand).
                        Hand not raised, here. I have met some pretty out-there Mormons in my day, but nobody who truthfully believes that the consumption of caffeinated beverages should disqualify someone from attending BYU.

                        As someone who purposely avoided BYU coming out of high school for exactly these types of stereotypes, I was surprised (and disappointed, even) upon attending BYU for law school to learn that these people don't really exist.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

                        There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

                        Comment

                        • TripletDaddy
                          sweet triple
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 58186

                          #72
                          Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                          Hand not raised, here. I have met some pretty out-there Mormons in my day, but nobody who truthfully believes that the consumption of caffeinated beverages should disqualify someone from attending BYU.

                          As someone who purposely avoided BYU coming out of high school for exactly these types of stereotypes, I was surprised (and disappointed, even) upon attending BYU for law school to learn that these people don't really exist.
                          byu undergrad and byu law school are two totally different experiences.

                          these people definitely exist although not sure how pervasive they are. They are out there, though...crazy wackos in the student wards that do and say bizarre fringe things about worthiness and literalism etc.

                          One thing that surprised me about the law school was how detached it was from campus....for example, I never once heard a wizard peep or mutter about facial hair at the law school. the professors didn't care. it wasn't an issue except when people had to walk across the bridge to do something on campus.

                          we had a girl that lived above us come downstairs one Sunday and asked us to try not to cheer so loud during the game (it was the year Karl Malone missed the two FTs against the Sonics that would have sent them to the Finals)....the girl said that the cheering detracted from her Sabbath. Grandstanding stuff like that existed right and left in undergrad. I think the art was learning to tune it out or simply roll with it. Incidentally, we didn't alter our cheering during the game.
                          Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                          sigpic

                          Comment

                          • MartyFunkhouser
                            Disciple of RNGesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 18750

                            #73
                            Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                            I find that really strange, and think it is fairly unordinary. At least in my lived experience. Though I don't think it is necessarily difficult to live perfectly faithful in NYC or anywhere else. I just haven't seen many who found it more difficult at BYU. Quite the contrary.
                            I found it much more difficult to live the gospel at BYU than I did to live it in law school at Lewis and Clark.
                            As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                            --Kendrick Lamar

                            Comment

                            • Indy Coug
                              Heartless Bastard
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 18747

                              #74
                              Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                              I found it much more difficult to live the gospel at BYU than I did to live it in law school at Lewis and Clark.
                              Do you mind sharing some of those difficulties?
                              Everything in life is an approximation.

                              http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                              Comment

                              • Indy Coug
                                Heartless Bastard
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 18747

                                #75
                                Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                                byu undergrad and byu law school are two totally different experiences.

                                these people definitely exist although not sure how pervasive they are. They are out there, though...crazy wackos in the student wards that do and say bizarre fringe things about worthiness and literalism etc.

                                One thing that surprised me about the law school was how detached it was from campus....for example, I never once heard a wizard peep or mutter about facial hair at the law school. the professors didn't care. it wasn't an issue except when people had to walk across the bridge to do something on campus.

                                we had a girl that lived above us come downstairs one Sunday and asked us to try not to cheer so loud during the game (it was the year Karl Malone missed the two FTs against the Sonics that would have sent them to the Finals)....the girl said that the cheering detracted from her Sabbath. Grandstanding stuff like that existed right and left in undergrad. I think the art was learning to tune it out or simply roll with it. Incidentally, we didn't alter our cheering during the game.
                                BYU successfully quarantined/cloistered a lot of those students in Chipman, Budge and Q Halls, so as long as you weren't in there, that kind of experience was pretty rare.
                                Last edited by Indy Coug; 02-11-2010, 10:45 AM.
                                Everything in life is an approximation.

                                http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                                Comment

                                Working...