This this guy a prick or just trying to get a reaction?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • LiveCoug
    LA Ute loves me
    • Nov 2008
    • 18488

    #76
    Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
    Do you mind sharing some of those difficulties?
    I'm guessing funk and nik's perception is very not the norm. I had no more problem living the gospel at BYU then I have anywhere else. Funk and Nik are in the minority as are the crazy wack-0 "caffiene is an honor code violation" crowd.

    Comment

    • Pheidippides
      Liberal Feminazi
      • Nov 2008
      • 14759

      #77
      Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
      I'm guessing funk and nik's perception is very not the norm. I had no more problem living the gospel at BYU then I have anywhere else. Funk and Nik are in the minority as are the crazy wack-0 "caffiene is an honor code violation" crowd.
      I can't say say whether or not my experience was the norm (and to be clear, it wasn't a bad experience - just a difficult one). Chalk it up to personality, maybe.

      There were many times at BYU when I would step back and say, "I know what I believe, and it sure as hell ain't what you folks do." It took me a while to be comfortable with that.
      Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

      Comment

      • Color Me Badd Fan
        Senior Member
        • Jan 2009
        • 12519

        #78
        Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
        I'm guessing funk and nik's perception is very not the norm. I had no more problem living the gospel at BYU then I have anywhere else. Funk and Nik are in the minority as are the crazy wack-0 "caffiene is an honor code violation" crowd.
        I'm not sure if BYU is more "dangerous," but it was certainly more difficult to be happy. The nutjobs didn't affect me because it's easy enough to stay away from them. The problem with BYU is twofold:

        1. It's in Provo

        2. The girls at BYU are really not very attractive

        I liken it to being stuck on the island on Lost only without Kate or Shannon or any other eye candy and the island is cold and dreary for 4-5 months of the school year.
        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

        Comment

        • Indy Coug
          Heartless Bastard
          • Dec 2008
          • 18747

          #79
          BYU was so uptight that it took three weeks before I was asked to remove my "What The Hell Are You Staring At?" sign on my Helaman Halls door that I created when I learned of the magical world of graphical design with a Macintosh. It was very stylish, using a font reminiscent of the Gutenberg Bible.

          While the sign itself wasn't necessarily that funny or clever, it is funny that I was asked to remove the sign rather than someone simply removing the sign on their own.
          Everything in life is an approximation.

          http://twitter.com/CougarStats

          Comment

          • falafel
            loves to talk on things
            • Mar 2009
            • 37973

            #80
            For my part, I think those guys are full of shit. I don't think its real at all. I think they are playing of stereotypes of some Mormon men and women and then inflating those stereotypes to get a rise out of people, or a laugh.

            While I don't doubt that many people have some of these characteristics, I don't think you would find them all present in one person (or two), and even if you did, I don't think that person would brag about them all over the internet while also posting on the front page some of the many negative comments the blog receives. They are obviously seeking those types of reactions, judging by how much attention they give to them.
            Last edited by falafel; 02-11-2010, 10:56 AM.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

            Dig your own grave, and save!

            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

            Comment

            • LiveCoug
              LA Ute loves me
              • Nov 2008
              • 18488

              #81
              Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
              I'm not sure if BYU is more "dangerous," but it was certainly more difficult to be happy. The nutjobs didn't affect me because it's easy enough to stay away from them. The problem with BYU is twofold:

              1. It's in Provo

              2. The girls at BYU are really not very attractive

              I liken it to being stuck on the island on Lost only without Kate or Shannon or any other eye candy and the island is cold and dreary for 4-5 months of the school year.
              And I think you are in the minority. I had a great time at BYU despite it being Provo. And the girls were plenty attractive. Just stay away from the wack-o's.

              Comment

              • Indy Coug
                Heartless Bastard
                • Dec 2008
                • 18747

                #82
                Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                And I think you are in the minority. I had a great time at BYU despite it being Provo. And the girls were plenty attractive. Just stay away from the wack-o's.
                I just tried to stay away from the guys that hung up Playgirl posters.
                Everything in life is an approximation.

                http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                Comment

                • Clark Addison
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 10303

                  #83
                  My current experience is kind of the opposite from Tick's and Niku. My son is in High School, and for the last few years has wanted to go to BYU. He is kind of wavering in that decision now, though, partly because he is afraid that everyone there will be the strange, honor code loving type, and he is more like the kind of person that will someday end up on CUF, rather than CB. He doesn't have any real good friends in our ward, because they look at him funny when he drinks Dr. Pepper, and things like that. I've had to tell him that everyone at BYU isn't like that.

                  I'll say for the record that I loved BYU, and loved the friends I had there. Maybe I was just lucky, but I would read the weird letters to the editor, but never really knew many people who were like that in actual life. Maybe it is because I was poor and lived with the more down to earth groups.

                  Comment

                  • falafel
                    loves to talk on things
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 37973

                    #84
                    Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                    And I think you are in the minority. I had a great time at BYU despite it being Provo. And the girls were plenty attractive. Just stay away from the wack-o's.
                    The attractiveness of the women in Provo is all relative. Go hang out on the campus of UNLV for a day and you'll be dying to get back to Provo.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                    Dig your own grave, and save!

                    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment

                    • Indy Coug
                      Heartless Bastard
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 18747

                      #85
                      Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      The attractiveness of the women in Provo is all relative. Go hang out on the campus of UNLV for a day and you'll be dying to get back to Provo.
                      It's just a function of how skankalicious you like your women.
                      Everything in life is an approximation.

                      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                      Comment

                      • Color Me Badd Fan
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 12519

                        #86
                        Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        The attractiveness of the women in Provo is all relative. Go hang out on the campus of UNLV for a day and you'll be dying to get back to Provo.
                        This is true.

                        With the University of Texas at Austin being a 10 and Cal State Bakersfield being a 1, I would put UNLV at a 2 and BYU at a 4.
                        Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                        Comment

                        • LiveCoug
                          LA Ute loves me
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 18488

                          #87
                          Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                          This is true.

                          With the University of Texas at Austin being a 10 and Cal State Bakersfield being a 1, I would put UNLV at a 2 and BYU at a 4.
                          Hey now! My wife got her Masters at Cal State Bakersfield! Jerk!

                          Comment

                          • falafel
                            loves to talk on things
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 37973

                            #88
                            Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                            Hey now! My wife got her Masters at Cal State Bakersfield! Jerk!
                            These scales are based on undergraduates only.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                            Dig your own grave, and save!

                            "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                            "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                            Comment

                            • Color Me Badd Fan
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2009
                              • 12519

                              #89
                              Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                              It's just a function of how skankalicious you like your women.
                              UNLV= girls with muffin-tops in abundance along with each having the obligatory field goal tattoo and too much makeup.

                              BYU= girls in overalls with the Klingon hairdo but thankfully have the good sense not to expose their muffin-tops in jeans they have no business wearing.
                              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                              Comment

                              • Pheidippides
                                Liberal Feminazi
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 14759

                                #90
                                Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                                My current experience is kind of the opposite from Tick's and Niku. My son is in High School, and for the last few years has wanted to go to BYU. He is kind of wavering in that decision now, though, partly because he is afraid that everyone there will be the strange, honor code loving type, and he is more like the kind of person that will someday end up on CUF, rather than CB. He doesn't have any real good friends in our ward, because they look at him funny when he drinks Dr. Pepper, and things like that. I've had to tell him that everyone at BYU isn't like that.

                                I'll say for the record that I loved BYU, and loved the friends I had there. Maybe I was just lucky, but I would read the weird letters to the editor, but never really knew many people who were like that in actual life. Maybe it is because I was poor and lived with the more down to earth groups.
                                I loved the poor down-to-earth groups (mostly because I was one of them). I lived in a ward that had a right side of the tracks and a wrong side of the tracks. I lived on the wrong side of the tracks. Dating across the tracks was a violation of some unwritten rule or other. It was unfortunate, and I will freely admit that the experience tainted me.

                                I had many good friends at BYU and do not regret going there. I also had many bad experiences that color my opinion of it, and I want to make sure my kids don't go there expecting sunshine and rainbows all the time.
                                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                                Comment

                                Working...