This this guy a prick or just trying to get a reaction?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pheidippides
    Liberal Feminazi
    • Nov 2008
    • 14759

    #46
    On the one hand, I hope and pray this is satire. On the other hand, anything that keeps people away from Cafe Rio is good:

    It is no secret that Cafe Rio is one of the more popular restaurants among BYU students. It is for this reason I felt compelled to write this letter to expose something I found both shocking and saddening. I noticed Cafe Rio uses real Coca-Cola in its recipe for pork barbacoa. That means many of us have disobeyed the commandments of our prophets without even knowing it!
    I am appalled Cafe Rio would perpetuate this subterfuge in Provo. Surely the owners must realize how many of us are striving to uphold the Word of Wisdom. How can we do that when they are secretly giving us real Coke? Now that this despicable deception has been brought to light, I think the only solution that we, as students of the Lord’s university, can embrace is to immediately stop patronizing Cafe Rio until it uses caffeine-free Coke in its pork barbacoa recipe.
    Until then, let us eat on campus — BYU Dining would never serve real Coke. Further, I call on the Honor Code Office to consider whether students who continue to order pork barbacoa should have a place at this university. Surely we cannot have students attending BYU who don’t think it’s important to follow the prophets. If students insist on eating pork barbacoa at Cafe Rio, they should cede their spot at this university to someone who is willing to be obedient, even when it doesn’t suit their carnal tastes.
    Scott Gale
    Beaverton, Ore.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

    Comment

    • Indy Coug
      Heartless Bastard
      • Dec 2008
      • 18747

      #47
      That is clearly a trolling effort.
      Everything in life is an approximation.

      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

      Comment

      • SuperGabers
        aka... UtahDan's Wifey
        • May 2009
        • 2182

        #48
        Originally posted by nikuman View Post
        On the one hand, I hope and pray this is satire. On the other hand, anything that keeps people away from Cafe Rio is good:
        This just in: 75% of the student population at BYU to not take sacrament this Sunday. Bread at Albertson's is B1G1F...

        Comment

        • The_Tick
          Made something of myself
          • Nov 2008
          • 7295

          #49
          Originally posted by nikuman View Post
          Seriously. My daughter will likely have grown up outside of Utah with decidedly non-fundamentalist parents, and some of the sanctimoniousness is going to come as a severe shock.
          Agreed. My daughter is checking her e-mail about 500 times a day to see if she has been accepted/denied.

          We have talked about the following many times in the last few months:

          1. Watch out for the predatory RM.
          2. If he tells you "he had a vision" or "he feels impressed" he is lying.
          3. You are going to feel like 75% of the people are wierd.
          4. You are wrong...it is probably 80-85%.

          In all seriousness though, I think she will be fine. There are things that I worry about as a parent though. (Some folks here may find them odd, I am okay with that.)

          Things that we have discussed with her at great lengths:

          1. Don't marry too soon.
          2. Think....really think...before having children. If I had to guess, I would say that the number of women that graduate from BYU after becoming pregnant is < 50%. And I think that number is way low.

          And then there is the whole "SAHM" thing. At this time, my daughter wants to be a practicing Psychologist. She wants to be a mother and have a career. She has seen her mother do it, and knows that it can be done successfully. We have discussed with her that this is something that she needs to be completely up front about with her future husband. If he says "Let's cross that bridge when we get there." It probably means..."You are fine working towards your career, but when you become a mother you put the career on hold." And it isn't something that you can really negotiate once children show up.

          Ahh...the things that keep me up at night.

          Comment

          • Pheidippides
            Liberal Feminazi
            • Nov 2008
            • 14759

            #50
            Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
            That is clearly a trolling effort.
            Normally I would agree without reservation (a successful one, based on the commentary). But this is the Daily Universe we're talking about, and visions of my wife's former roommates are jumping into my head.
            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

            Comment

            • Pheidippides
              Liberal Feminazi
              • Nov 2008
              • 14759

              #51
              Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
              Agreed. My daughter is checking her e-mail about 500 times a day to see if she has been accepted/denied.

              We have talked about the following many times in the last few months:

              1. Watch out for the predatory RM.
              2. If he tells you "he had a vision" or "he feels impressed" he is lying.
              3. You are going to feel like 75% of the people are wierd.
              4. You are wrong...it is probably 80-85%.

              In all seriousness though, I think she will be fine. There are things that I worry about as a parent though. (Some folks here may find them odd, I am okay with that.)

              Things that we have discussed with her at great lengths:

              1. Don't marry too soon.
              2. Think....really think...before having children. If I had to guess, I would say that the number of women that graduate from BYU after becoming pregnant is < 50%. And I think that number is way low.

              And then there is the whole "SAHM" thing. At this time, my daughter wants to be a practicing Psychologist. She wants to be a mother and have a career. She has seen her mother do it, and knows that it can be done successfully. We have discussed with her that this is something that she needs to be completely up front about with her future husband. If he says "Let's cross that bridge when we get there." It probably means..."You are fine working towards your career, but when you become a mother you put the career on hold." And it isn't something that you can really negotiate once children show up.

              Ahh...the things that keep me up at night.
              I think I am going to give you a call in about 8 years.
              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

              Comment

              • LiveCoug
                LA Ute loves me
                • Nov 2008
                • 18488

                #52
                Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                Normally I would agree without reservation (a successful one, based on the commentary). But this is the Daily Universe we're talking about, and visions of my wife's former roommates are jumping into my head.
                I agree with Indy. That was pure satire. Yes, there are crazies that think that way, but you can tell by the way it was written. Too over the top.

                Comment

                • The_Tick
                  Made something of myself
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 7295

                  #53
                  Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                  I think I am going to give you a call in about 8 years.
                  For advice? Or to see how it turned out?

                  Comment

                  • scottie
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 5247

                    #54
                    Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                    That is clearly a trolling effort.
                    Or not... Raise your hand if you know/have known Mormons exactly like Scott Gale (raising my hand).

                    Comment

                    • Indy Coug
                      Heartless Bastard
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 18747

                      #55
                      I'm really enjoying all of this hand-wringing about the dangers of BYU.

                      Having been the only LDS student at a boarding school for HS for 3 years, 7,000 miles from family, the things I had to deal with there compared to BYU is night and day. Quirky as BYU might be in some respects, it just doesn't pose the physical, emotional or spiritual threat that most other places do.
                      Everything in life is an approximation.

                      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                      Comment

                      • YOhio
                        Hipster Mode
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 26165

                        #56
                        Originally posted by Soccermom View Post
                        Has anyone done a study determining the frequency with which letters to the Daily Universe editor begin with "I'm shocked and appalled?"

                        If not, I'm shocked and appalled.
                        I'd like to see a topical breakdown of letter's to the editor. I could see 80%+ of all the letters focusing on about 15 topics. Honor Code, WOW, dating, library noise, etc.

                        Comment

                        • LiveCoug
                          LA Ute loves me
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 18488

                          #57
                          I'm with Indy. So there are wackos at BYU. Whoopedeedoo. Just laugh at them and move on. You don't need to hang out with them. Find your niche with people you like and have a great time.

                          Comment

                          • Pheidippides
                            Liberal Feminazi
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 14759

                            #58
                            Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                            I'm really enjoying all of this hand-wringing about the dangers of BYU.

                            Having been the only LDS student at a boarding school for HS for 3 years, 7,000 miles from family, the things I had to deal with there compared to BYU is night and day. Quirky as BYU might be in some respects, it just doesn't pose the physical, emotional or spiritual threat that most other places do.
                            I disagree completely. It is far more dangerous than any place I have ever been. It was much easier to be a faithful, practicing Mormon in NYC as a law student than it was at BYU. For me, at least. I'll grant you the physical threat one, though.
                            Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

                            Comment

                            • beelzebabette
                              Golf & Cubs Disrespecter
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 2907

                              #59
                              Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                              I agree with Indy. That was pure satire. Yes, there are crazies that think that way, but you can tell by the way it was written. Too over the top.
                              Exactly. Those were the letters I hoped I would find whenever I opened the DU in Microeconomics.

                              Comment

                              • Indy Coug
                                Heartless Bastard
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 18747

                                #60
                                Originally posted by nikuman View Post
                                I disagree completely. It is far more dangerous than any place I have ever been. It was much easier to be a faithful, practicing Mormon in NYC as a law student than it was at BYU. For me, at least. I'll grant you the physical threat one, though.
                                Were you already married by the time you got to NYC as a law student?
                                Everything in life is an approximation.

                                http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                                Comment

                                Working...