Utah at SJSU

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • HuskyFreeNorthwest
    Time to camp
    • Nov 2008
    • 26082

    #46
    I didn't watch one minute of the Utah/SJSU game. Was the game plan pretty vanilla, like BYU's, as to not give Oregon any tape to watch?
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

    Comment

    • Viking
      Banned
      • Jun 2009
      • 6470

      #47
      Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
      I didn't watch one minute of the Utah/SJSU game. Was the game plan pretty vanilla, like BYU's, as to not give Oregon any tape to watch?
      The game was nearly impossible to watch; picture quality felt like it was from 1984. It did have a guarded feel to the play calling.

      Comment

      • UtahDan
        *
        • Nov 2008
        • 14496

        #48
        Originally posted by Viking View Post
        The game was nearly impossible to watch; picture quality felt like it was from 1984. It did have a guarded feel to the play calling.
        Why doesn't ESPNU broadcast in HD? That is puzzling since they do on every other one of their channels including "the ocho."

        Comment

        • Viking
          Banned
          • Jun 2009
          • 6470

          #49
          Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
          Why doesn't ESPNU broadcast in HD? That is puzzling since they do on every other one of their channels including "the ocho."
          It was regrettable. I enjoy watching the U play and it was really terrible quality.

          Comment

          • LA Ute
            Receiver of Memory
            • Nov 2008
            • 19512

            #50
            Originally posted by Viking View Post
            It was regrettable. I enjoy watching the U play and it was really terrible quality.
            Yes - it was often hard to tell who had the ball, and not because of slick hand-offs.

            The Utes won ugly, with some apparent real weaknesses in the corners, which probably caused fewer blitzes. The game was far too close for comfort. The field goal kicking game was horrible (three misses, two of them over 50 yards but not even close). Finally, the team did not seem fired up. All the problems are correctable and the Utes' season will depend on whether they can learn and improve. They do have some great skill players. I am not expecting a huge season this year - 9 wins would be great. I see losses to Oregon, TCU, and BYU. But I hope I am wrong.
            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
            ― W.H. Auden


            "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


            "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

            Comment

            • cougjunkie
              *Banned*
              • Nov 2008
              • 23223

              #51
              Cain like I said earlier in the thread is a great athlete, I was blown away by his speed. However he can not throw the intermediate or deep ball. With the speed of Utahs receivers he really needs to somehow develop that.

              Utahs goal line play calling was atrocious, I will chalk that up to a new offensive coordinator and new QB, so they are trying to be conservative and come away with some points.

              The corners struggled tonight, and the kicking game was ugly. Vroman wasnt just missing he was shanking the hell out of it.
              *Banned*

              Comment

              • scottie
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 5247

                #52
                Originally posted by All-American View Post
                They didn't let Vroman make that last field goal? Mistake. He'll be thinking about this game a long, long time now.
                In my opinion, KW didn't help any by yelling at him as he came off the field after one of the misses.

                Comment

                • Hot Lunch
                  Out of Office
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 7842

                  #53
                  Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post

                  Utahs goal line play calling was atrocious, I will chalk that up to a new offensive coordinator and new QB, so they are trying to be conservative and come away with some points.
                  What do you mean atrocious? Last night the Utes showed the world that they were not just a one trick pony a the goal line and shocked the world with an incredible, catch you off guard Asiata pass to Cain out of the Asiata formation. Now teams have 2 things to defend when the Utes get inside the 10.
                  "Take it to the Bank"

                  Comment

                  • falafel
                    loves to talk on things
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 37975

                    #54
                    Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                    Why doesn't ESPNU broadcast in HD? That is puzzling since they do on every other one of their channels including "the ocho."
                    ESPNU is in HD, but almost none of the carriers pick it up.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                    Dig your own grave, and save!

                    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment

                    • All-American
                      Right, as Usual
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 15664

                      #55
                      Originally posted by scottie View Post
                      In my opinion, KW didn't help any by yelling at him as he came off the field after one of the misses.
                      The only reason not to let Vroman kick to finish the game out is if you are never going to have him kick again. Even then, it would have been wise to let him finish out the game and either make the kicks or prove his ineptitude beyond question. Now you've got a kid who doesn't have any confidence and another kicker who feels that he's on the razor's edge when it comes to performance. Poor coaching decision.

                      The Asiata pass on 4th down was a major bonehead decision. Of course, I say that because it didn't work; had they scored, it would have been brilliant.
                      τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                      Comment

                      • All-American
                        Right, as Usual
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 15664

                        #56
                        Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                        Cain like I said earlier in the thread is a great athlete, I was blown away by his speed. However he can not throw the intermediate or deep ball. With the speed of Utahs receivers he really needs to somehow develop that.

                        Utahs goal line play calling was atrocious, I will chalk that up to a new offensive coordinator and new QB, so they are trying to be conservative and come away with some points.

                        The corners struggled tonight, and the kicking game was ugly. Vroman wasnt just missing he was shanking the hell out of it.
                        What was that little stat they showed-- four passes of over 30 yards? And still only 14 points? That shows a good ability to regroup, even if it also shows susceptibility to big plays.
                        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                        Comment

                        • Jarid in Cedar
                          CS Institutional Memory
                          • Jun 2009
                          • 13234

                          #57
                          After sleeping on the game(my back is pretty sore), I gained some perspective. This was a sign of the bumps and bruises that occur when breaking in a new QB and 2 new coordinators. The red zone play calling definitely needs to improve. That worries me more than anything, esp if you are worried about missing 33 yard FG's. The grade out for Utah so far has to be C-. The offense made some nice plays in the 4th, but were stuck in 3rd and long too many times. I worry that the corners need to improve their play. We are not getting much pressure on the QB, and it looks like it is the result of a lack of blitzing(which is likely to protect the corners).

                          The game in Autzen will be a bellweather game for the rest of the season.
                          "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                          "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                          "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                          -Rick Majerus

                          Comment

                          • LA Ute
                            Receiver of Memory
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 19512

                            #58
                            Originally posted by All-American View Post
                            Now you've got a kid who doesn't have any confidence and another kicker who feels that he's on the razor's edge when it comes to performance. Poor coaching decision.
                            I'm no coach but the Ute coaches know Vroman better than we do. Maybe they decided that after the misses he was already "iced," at least for that game, and decided to let someone else kick that final FG to lock up the game.
                            “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                            ― W.H. Auden


                            "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                            -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                            "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                            --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                            Comment

                            • All-American
                              Right, as Usual
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 15664

                              #59
                              Originally posted by LA Ute View Post
                              I'm no coach but the Ute coaches know Vroman better than we do. Maybe they decided that after the misses he was already "iced," at least for that game, and decided to let someone else kick that final FG to lock up the game.
                              Sure, but I figure every sports post has an unspoken footnote acknowledging the possible existence of unknown information that renders the post void. From where I'm sitting, and from what I know, and with all of the limitations and possible reasons why I may be up in the night, it was a poor decision.
                              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                              Comment

                              • LA Ute
                                Receiver of Memory
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 19512

                                #60
                                Originally posted by All-American View Post
                                Sure, but I figure every sports post has an unspoken footnote acknowledging the possible existence of unknown information that renders the post void. From where I'm sitting, and from what I know, and with all of the limitations and possible reasons why I may be up in the night, it was a poor decision.
                                Subject to those limitations, and reserving the right to amend my response should new information come to light, I accept your position as potentially valid.
                                “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                                ― W.H. Auden


                                "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                                -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                                "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                                --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                                Comment

                                Working...