Fire Ty

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Applejack
    Senior Member
    • Aug 2012
    • 3813

    #331
    Originally posted by Crockett View Post
    If there is ever going to be a non-LDS HC at BYU, then the Ed Lamb credentials are as good as it gets.
    Is Ed Lamb a good coach?

    Comment

    • Green Monstah
      Royal Rooter
      • Aug 2010
      • 13963

      #332
      Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
      That isn't the only restriction, if he isn't LDS he must abide by the honor code. So that eliminates every coach that isn't married (with the possible exception of an asexual coach), every coach that likes coffee, and every coach that enjoys a delicious craft beer.
      I thought there was a “privacy of your own home” exception.
      Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

      "Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

      Comment

      • frank ryan
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 12380

        #333
        Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
        I thought there was a “privacy of your own home” exception.
        There isn't.

        Comment

        • BigFatMeanie
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 7116

          #334
          Originally posted by Applejack View Post
          Is Ed Lamb a good coach?
          A very good question. He's has more experience as a head coach, albeit at a smaller school, than anyone on BYU's staff right now. He has more experience as a college coach overall than anyone on BYU's staff right now except Kaufusi.

          Not counting this year, counting GA experience but not counting "director of player development" or "director of football operations" positions:

          Coach HC Experience Coordinator Experience Other Experience
          Kalani Sitake 1 6 7
          Ilaisa Tuiaki 0 1 8 + 2 in high school
          Ty Detmer 0 1 4 in high school
          Ed Lamb 7 + 1 year as assistant HC 3 4
          Ben Cahoon 0 0 2
          Steve Clark 0 7 3 + 3 in high school
          Mike Empey 1 8 2 in High School
          Jernaro Gilford 0 0 4
          Steve Kaufusi 0 0 22
          Reno Mahe 0 0 1
          But whether he is a "good coach" in the pantheon of coaches is a question that's essentially unanswerable at this point.
          Last edited by BigFatMeanie; 11-21-2017, 09:17 AM.

          Comment

          • creekster
            It is NOT a monkey!
            • Nov 2008
            • 22661

            #335
            Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
            I thought there was a “privacy of your own home” exception.
            Not officially. As a practical matter? Perhaps.
            PLesa excuse the tpyos.

            Comment

            • Applejack
              Senior Member
              • Aug 2012
              • 3813

              #336
              Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
              A very good question. He's has more experience as a head coach, albeit at a smaller school, than anyone on BYU's staff right now. He has more experience as a college coach overall than anyone on BYU's staff right now except Kaufusi.

              Not counting this year, counting GA experience but not counting "director of player development" or "director of football operations" positions:

              Coach HC Experience Coordinator Experience Other Experience
              Kalani Sitake 1 6 7
              Ilaisa Tuiaki 0 1 8 + 2 in high school
              Ty Detmer 0 1 4 in high school
              Ed Lamb 7 + 1 year as assistant HC 3 4
              Ben Cahoon 0 0 2
              Steve Clark 0 7 3 + 3 in high school
              Mike Empey 1 8 2 in High School
              Jernaro Gilford 0 0 4
              Steve Kaufusi 0 0 22
              Reno Mahe 0 0 1

              But whether he is a "good coach" in the pantheon of coaches is a question that's essentially unanswerable at this point.
              Thanks. From this list, I think it is fair to conclude that he is the most experienced of an extremely inexperienced group of coaches. I'm not a byu fan, but if I were () I would hope that "he has coached before" would be a necessary but not sufficient requirement for the head coach.

              Comment

              • All-American
                Right, as Usual
                • Nov 2008
                • 15669

                #337
                Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                Thanks. From this list, I think it is fair to conclude that he is the most experienced of an extremely inexperienced group of coaches. I'm not a byu fan, but if I were () I would hope that "he has coached before" would be a necessary but not sufficient requirement for the head coach.
                But the list doesn't account for the years Ty spent as a de facto QB coach in the NFL, where he taught Brett Favre what a nickel defense is.
                τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                Comment

                • BigFatMeanie
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 7116

                  #338
                  Just for fun, I also added up the numbers for the staff at Virginia and Utah:

                  Coach HC Experience Coordinator Experience Other Experience
                  Bronco Mendenhall 12 12 4
                  Nick Howell 0 4 6+ 6 in high school
                  Robert Anae 0 10 18
                  Mark Atuaia 0 0 4
                  Jason Beck 0 1 9
                  Garrett Tujague 6 0 18
                  Kelly Poppinga 0 0 8
                  Shane Hunter 0 0 6
                  Vic So'oto 0 0 1
                  Coach HC Experience Coordinator Experience Other Experience
                  Kyle Wittingham 12 13 7
                  Morgan Scalley 0 1 9
                  Troy Taylor 0 1 3+14 in high school
                  Jim Harding 0 2 8+4 in high school
                  Sharrieff Shah 0 0 5
                  Justin Ena 0 5 4
                  Guy Holliday 0 6 18
                  Kiel McDonald 0 0 7
                  Lewis Powell 0 0 7
                  Freddie Whittingham 0 0 1

                  Comment

                  • Clark Addison
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10312

                    #339
                    Originally posted by creekster View Post
                    Not officially. As a practical matter? Perhaps.
                    As a practical matter, I think there pretty much is for all of us.

                    Comment

                    • falafel
                      loves to talk on things
                      • Mar 2009
                      • 37988

                      #340
                      Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                      There isn't.
                      Maybe not printed on the brochure, but I doubt they are doing a search of your cabinets to look for Folgers.
                      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                      Dig your own grave, and save!

                      "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                      "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                      Comment

                      • falafel
                        loves to talk on things
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 37988

                        #341
                        Originally posted by All-American View Post
                        But the list doesn't account for the years Ty spent as a de facto QB coach in the NFL, where he taught Brett Favre what a nickel defense is.
                        This is funny coming from you, but I was prepared to be pissed off if it was posted by funk.
                        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                        Dig your own grave, and save!

                        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                        Comment

                        • creekster
                          It is NOT a monkey!
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 22661

                          #342
                          Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
                          As a practical matter, I think there pretty much is for all of us.
                          Only if your spouse isnt a member.
                          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69718

                            #343
                            Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                            I thought there was a “privacy of your own home” exception.
                            I have a buddy who was a non-LDS BYU prof. His dept chair told him he didn't care if he consumed beer/coffee at home as long as he kept everything on the down low.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • Applejack
                              Senior Member
                              • Aug 2012
                              • 3813

                              #344
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              I have a buddy who was a non-LDS BYU prof. His dept chair told him he didn't care if he consumed beer/coffee at home as long as he kept everything on the down low.
                              See! BYU is very progressive!

                              Comment

                              • Jeff Lebowski
                                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 69718

                                #345
                                Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                                See! BYU is very progressive!
                                Do you have to breathe?
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                                Comment

                                Working...