If I could combine BYU and Utah

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Flystripper
    Degenerate Gambler
    • Nov 2008
    • 14094

    #106
    Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    I have a hard time believing that Wynn is the second coming of Alex Smith. Alex was amazing at the college level. Those types of QB's are few and far between at this level especially at Utah and BYU. It really isn't pushing it. It is talking out of your ass. Ask anyone that has a small bit of football knowledge and they will take a senior that has a very impressive resume over a true freshman any day. Doesn't matter the upside the kid has.
    every new quarterback/runningback/receiver is the second coming of somebody. Wake me up when these noobs do something on the field at the d1 level.
    Dyslexics are teople poo...

    Comment

    • BoylenOver
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 9146

      #107
      Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
      every new quarterback/runningback/receiver is the second coming of somebody. Wake me up when these noobs do something on the field at the d1 level.
      Flystripper is the 2nd coming of PaloAltoCougar.
      "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
      "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

      Comment

      • Flystripper
        Degenerate Gambler
        • Nov 2008
        • 14094

        #108
        Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
        Flystripper is the 2nd coming of PaloAltoCougar.
        I wish I had those skillz. Sadly I won't ever amount to much that the CUF level.
        Dyslexics are teople poo...

        Comment

        • Flattop
          Many books, little time
          • Jun 2009
          • 1452

          #109
          Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
          Well Brown and Godfrey have possession receiver written all over them, that is a given. Sampson is a tight end, Asiata and Mack are running backs. Casteel did about what you would expect, Reed was great. I thought Brooks was some sub 4.4 guy? Those are Mike Reed type numbers, nevermind Reed had a better YPC then him.
          This site has Brooks 40 time at 4.44:

          Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
          Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
          Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

          Comment

          • RockyBalboa
            Banned
            • Nov 2008
            • 2127

            #110
            I like Brooks and the guy does have legit speed. However, my guess is with the inevitable emergence of Luke Matthews he'll continue to be the type they use in trick play situations like...the under center fumblerooskie style play they've tried with him a few times, and the occasional TD here and there.

            Luke Matthews will be the breakout offensive player for Utah this season.

            Comment

            • Flattop
              Many books, little time
              • Jun 2009
              • 1452

              #111
              Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
              My problem with Key is he has yet to do anything on the field other than block a punt. I have heard mixed reports coming out of the Utah Camp. Some good some not so good about the kid. Everyone does say he is a freak of an athlete though. Jacobson has actually proved something at the receiver position. Yes he is fresh off a mission but right now I give him the nod over Key mainly because I have seen Jacobson do something at this level. I understand this could very well change after this season with Key.
              Make it two punts, and he scored a TD off the first one. And he blocked a field goal attempt. He started at receiver against New Mexico and San Diego St. Against Weber State he had one catch for 19 yards.



              You can't really tell anything from a spring game, but Key did have a great day in the Red and White game. I was reminded of Casteel's first spring game. Another name that springs to mind is that of Steve Smith. I think the Key factor will be how hard he works in practice week in and week out.
              Last edited by Flattop; 07-06-2009, 12:47 PM.
              Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
              Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
              Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

              Comment

              • cougjunkie
                *Banned*
                • Nov 2008
                • 23223

                #112
                Originally posted by USS Utah View Post
                Make it two punts, and he scored a TD off the first one. And he blocked a field goal attempt. He started at receiver against New Mexico and San Diego St. Against Weber State he had one catch for 19 yards.



                You can't really tell anything from a spring game, but Key did have a great day in the Red and White game. I was reminded of Casteel's first spring game. Another name that springs to mind is that of Steve Smith. I think the Key factor will be how hard he works in practice week in and week out.
                So Key started at receiver in two games and was held without a catch in both of them? The one catch he had on the season was against 1-AA powerhouse Weber State? Yet he reminds you of Steve Smith?

                Wow.
                *Banned*

                Comment

                • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                  Time to camp
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 26082

                  #113
                  Originally posted by falafel View Post
                  Why not bring back Fred Whittingham while we're at it?

                  C'mon people, let's get a full grasp of the concept here. We're talking about CURRENT BYU and Utah players and coaches.
                  If we are going all time then forget fred, bring back Ken Schmidt!
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

                  Comment

                  • UtahUte72
                    Junior Member
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 16

                    #114
                    Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                    Both coaches are great defensive minds, and both have great results as HC. You utilize both, and put them where they'll help most. Bronco will prepare the team well, and Whit will provide the necessary level of emotion. And Kyle will have that D prepared.

                    And at WR and DB, I'm going with the known commodities. Could Key/Matthews and Burton will be studs, but all they are is potential right now.
                    There is the problem, I don't see Bronco as a great head coach or a great defensive coordinator. He ran Rocky Long's junk defense well at New Mexico, but couldn't translate it to BYU when he moved here. He has maintained the role of Defensive coordinator and that has remained the weakest part of BYU's teams. As a head coach he has not learned to delegate as he still tries to run the defense. And I assume we are talking about football here not firesides, because I understand he has it all over Whitt in fireside presentation.

                    Comment

                    • UtahUte72
                      Junior Member
                      • Jun 2009
                      • 16

                      #115
                      Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                      Jacobsen as a possession receiver? He is right there as the fastest player on either team. He is the fastest player on BYUs team right now fresh off a mission.

                      Also someone earlier (Napper I think) said Jacobsen had not proven anything yet, he had 28 catches for 547 yards and 3 tds on a senior laden team in 2006. That is more yards then Key and Brooks combined in their careers and the same amount of receiving TDs.

                      If Key is as good as people think he would have gotten on the field last year. THere is a reason his only other offers were to Akron and Utah State.
                      Unless Jacobsen has gotten a lot faster on his mission he would only be about 5th or 6th as far as speed among ute recievers. From what I remember in the little i saw him before he left he ran good routes and made clutch catches. As far as key I'm betting on his physical tools taking him to where he needs to be. Remember he reported way late last year because of a glitch at his JC. He has speed, hands and physical tools. Whether he will "get it" enough to really have an impact remains to be seen, but he can be a game breaker.

                      Matthews may be the best reciever at either school not named Reed, but he has yet to really play and I haven't seen enough of him to know.

                      Comment

                      • Goatnapper'96
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 10924

                        #116
                        Originally posted by UtahUte72 View Post
                        Unless Jacobsen has gotten a lot faster on his mission he would only be about 5th or 6th as far as speed among ute recievers.
                        I agree. Utah has at least 6 receivers that could smoke Jacobsen in a footrace, but he could kick their ass in a stick pull!
                        Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                        -General George S. Patton

                        I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                        -DOCTOR Wuap

                        Comment

                        • RockyBalboa
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 2127

                          #117
                          Originally posted by UtahUte72 View Post
                          There is the problem, I don't see Bronco as a great head coach or a great defensive coordinator. He ran Rocky Long's junk defense well at New Mexico, but couldn't translate it to BYU when he moved here. He has maintained the role of Defensive coordinator and that has remained the weakest part of BYU's teams. As a head coach he has not learned to delegate as he still tries to run the defense. And I assume we are talking about football here not firesides, because I understand he has it all over Whitt in fireside presentation.
                          When BYU's Defense finished ranked in the Top 25 statistically in 2006 (top 10 in 2006) and 2007 I'm sure that was just sheer luck.....or the result of facing bad offenses and all.

                          Comment

                          • Jarid in Cedar
                            CS Institutional Memory
                            • Jun 2009
                            • 13234

                            #118
                            Originally posted by RockyBalboa View Post
                            When BYU's Defense finished ranked in the Top 25 statistically in 2006 (top 10 in 2006) and 2007 I'm sure that was just sheer luck.....or the result of facing bad offenses and all.
                            Meh, He was just riding the coattails of Crowton's recruits.
                            "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                            "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                            "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                            -Rick Majerus

                            Comment

                            • Flattop
                              Many books, little time
                              • Jun 2009
                              • 1452

                              #119
                              Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                              So Key started at receiver in two games and was held without a catch in both of them? The one catch he had on the season was against 1-AA powerhouse Weber State? Yet he reminds you of Steve Smith?

                              Wow.
                              What I said was, his performance in the spring game reminded me of Steve Smith. I also said you can't really tell much from a spring game.
                              Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
                              Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
                              Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

                              Comment

                              • Flattop
                                Many books, little time
                                • Jun 2009
                                • 1452

                                #120
                                Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                                I agree. Utah has at least 6 receivers that could smoke Jacobsen in a footrace, but he could kick their ass in a stick pull!
                                Yes, but could he beat Joseph Smith in a stick pull?
                                Col. Klink: "Staff officers are so clever."
                                Gen. Burkhalter: "Klink, I am a staff officer."
                                Col. Klink: "I didn't mean you sir, you're not clever."

                                Comment

                                Working...