Help Wanted: Who replaces Bronco?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • UVACoug
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2013
    • 2685

    #871
    KN is still my least favorite of the 3-4 guys that are still in consideration, but he isn't as bad of a pick as some are making him out to be. He has been a successful HC for several years, which is experience you cannot put too much value on. Being a HC is a much different job than being a coordinator. If we hire KN, we are getting a guy that knows how to be a good HC. If we hire KS or LA we are taking a pretty big risk that they get overwhelmed with all the extra crap that goes along with being a HC. It's not that rare for a great coordinator to end up falling on their face when they finally get a HC opportunity.

    The triple option is still a huge concern for me. Even if we make not running the TO a condition of the hire, it seems to me like there is a significant loss from having a coach that really doesn't know the schemes we are running on either side of the ball. KN has virtually no experience with anything other than the TO. If we hire him, and he doesn't run the TO, he will be nothing but a manager/figure head coach. That may end up working out just fine, but I would rather have someone that can contribute to the X's and O's a lot more. The most significant loss BYU faces by Bronco leaving is losing Bronco's incredible knowledge of defensive schemes.

    If KN is the guy, I'll support him. He is a terrific coach. According to some measures, he is among the best in the country. See:




    Come fan with us. SB Nation is the largest independent sports media brand, consisting of SBNation.com, MMAFighting.com and over 300 fan-centric team communities.
    Last edited by UVACoug; 12-11-2015, 08:07 PM.

    Comment

    • Commando
      Explosivo
      • Feb 2009
      • 20748

      #872
      Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
      KN is still my least favorite of the 3-4 guys that are still in consideration, but he isn't as bad of a pick as some are making him out to be. He has been a successful HC for several years, which is experience you cannot put too much value on. Being a HC is a much different job than being a coordinator. If we hire KN, we are getting a guy that knows how to be a good HC. If we hire KS or LA we are taking a pretty big risk that they get overwhelmed with all the extra crap that goes along with being a HC. It's not that rare for a great coordinator to end up falling on their face when they finally get a HC opportunity.

      The triple option is still a huge concern for me. Even if we make not running the TO a condition of the hire, it seems to me like there is a significant loss from having a coach that really doesn't know the schemes we are running on either side of the ball. KN has virtually no experience with anything other than the TO. If we hire him, and he doesn't run the TO, he will be nothing but a manager/figure head coach. That may end up working out just fine, but I would rather have someone that can contribute to the X's and O's a lot more. The most significant loss BYU faces by Bronco leaving is losing Bronco's incredible knowledge of defensive schemes.

      If KN is the guy, I'll support him. He is a terrific coach. According to some measures, he is among the best in the country. See:




      http://www.footballstudyhall.com/201...en-niumatalolo

      My concerns about him went away when I learned about an hour ago that he's not even the one running the offense, but rather his OC at Navy. This is why I'm bummed out beyond belief that we sincerely could have had KN, Anae, and Kalani all on staff.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

      Comment

      • OceanBlue
        Junior Member
        • May 2012
        • 860

        #873
        Originally posted by Commando View Post
        My concerns about him went away when I learned about an hour ago that he's not even the one running the offense, but rather his OC at Navy. This is why I'm bummed out beyond belief that we sincerely could have had KN, Anae, and Kalani all on staff.
        KN was a qb in the system, OL coach in the system, OC in the system and the HC in the system. He has never run another system. Most HC's have OC's.

        Comment

        • Commando
          Explosivo
          • Feb 2009
          • 20748

          #874
          I understand the concern, but the way I see it he's being sought after for his ability to lead, ability to win, ability to recruit, and ability to make it to sacrament meeting. I don't think Tom would leave any doubt on the option thing.
          "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

          Comment

          • smokymountainrain
            Impressive Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 22593

            #875
            I've already told you guys in one of these threads, if KN comes, he isn't running the triple option.
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

            Comment

            • Topper
              Pre-Historic Man
              • Nov 2011
              • 11764

              #876
              Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
              I've already told you guys in one of these threads, if KN comes, he isn't running the triple option.
              So KWhit is coming and bringing KN to run the triple option and KS is coming to watch over the defense.
              "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

              Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

              Comment

              • OceanBlue
                Junior Member
                • May 2012
                • 860

                #877
                Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                I've already told you guys in one of these threads, if KN comes, he isn't running the triple option.
                I think you are right but I also think KN is crazy for taking a job where he must change his offense and BYU is crazy for hiring a guy with that condition.

                Comment

                • myboynoah
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 21719

                  #878
                  Army cheerleaders chanting "B-Y-U, B-Y-U" as Coach K-Lolo is interviewed on Game Day.
                  Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                  For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                  Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                  Comment

                  • Topper
                    Pre-Historic Man
                    • Nov 2011
                    • 11764

                    #879
                    He did a commendable job during the interview. Sounds as if he's staying though.
                    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

                    Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

                    Comment

                    • Commando
                      Explosivo
                      • Feb 2009
                      • 20748

                      #880
                      Originally posted by Topper View Post
                      He did a commendable job during the interview. Sounds as if he's staying though.
                      Yeah well... we all thought bronco was staying although he said he wasn't going to be a lifer. I heard Ken say 'I like it here so other offers haven't ever gotten my attention, but this one has.'
                      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69695

                        #881
                        Originally posted by Commando View Post
                        Yeah well... we all thought bronco was staying although he said he wasn't going to be a lifer. I heard Ken say 'I like it here so other offers haven't ever gotten my attention, but this one has.'


                        We? Bronco has said all along that he would NOT be a lifer.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • myboynoah
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 21719

                          #882
                          Originally posted by Topper View Post
                          He did a commendable job during the interview. Sounds as if he's staying though.
                          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                          For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                          Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                          Comment

                          • Uncle Ted
                            The Big 12 money shot.
                            • Apr 2010
                            • 28853

                            #883
                            Originally posted by Topper View Post
                            He did a commendable job during the interview. Sounds as if he's staying though.
                            He still has the army-navy game to play and the military bowl (maybe). He doesn't want to give the impression to his players that he is running away from the battle.

                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                            Comment

                            • myboynoah
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 21719

                              #884
                              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                              For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                              Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                              Comment

                              • Commando
                                Explosivo
                                • Feb 2009
                                • 20748

                                #885
                                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post


                                We? Bronco has said all along that he would NOT be a lifer.
                                That's what I said.
                                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                                Comment

                                Working...