"Reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated" - The Rivalry Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
    Technically I think Reno Mahe was the one pumping gas.
    That doesn't count because he didn't even pay for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
      Trevor Reilly was on the radio yesterday, I didn't listen much but I heard him say one of his teammates who has his degree works at Walmart as a stocker. That made me laugh. He also said BYU does a better job of preparing people for life after football and that when you are at Utah, all they care about is football first, and don't teach life skills.
      BYU degrees are far, far more than worth anyone can imagine. I know a guy who got a general studies bachelor degree at BYU and now he is a multi, 10 times over millionaire.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brian View Post
        [ATTACH=CONFIG]6712[/ATTACH]

Keep on cougin', fellers.
        Whenever someone uses that phrase I instinctively think of football goal posts, not soccer. It doesn't surprise me that a fan of a gymnastics school would think of soccer.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• BYU does a nice job ensuring that all who take advantage of an education subsidized by the tithes of faithful Latter-day Saints are prepared to immediately begin paying this same blessing forward. This approach toward excellence in all endeavors is among the many things that makes our fine institution so unique and wonderful. Athletic departments and university leaders who resent accountability from those tasked with ensuring stewardship of the tax and tuition dollars are the norm and not the exception. This is a regrettable turn in college athletics, IMO. But I'm sure some here disagree and they can S a D.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
            BYU does a nice job ensuring that all who take advantage of an education subsidized by the tithes of faithful Latter-day Saints are prepared to immediately begin paying this same blessing forward. This approach toward excellence in all endeavors is among the many things that makes our fine institution so unique and wonderful. Athletic departments and university leaders who resent accountability from those tasked with ensuring stewardship of the tax and tuition dollars are the norm and not the exception. This is a regrettable turn in college athletics, IMO. But I'm sure some here disagree and they can S a D.
            You don't think that stock boy at Walmart is going to make a sizable donation to the U?
            *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
              Wrong again. Our school is better at teaching football players life skills. Considering 99% of the guys on the tea won't have NFL careers, I would imagine teaching life skills is a big deal. As a fan, sure who cares. All you want are wins. But if you were the parent of a recruit, that is a big deal.

Sadly, I think cougjunkie is right.
              There are a lot of crappy sociology & comm students out there who are just trying to stay eligible at many schools (including the FCS one that I am most familiar with).
              I'm an outsider, but I have the impression that Bronco had good classroom priorities (and I'm sure it was part of the hiring process at a good academic school like UVA).
              I don't know about Kalani & the All-Star Team, but IMO Ed Lamb will place a heavy emphasis on getting a good education (and not just a degree).

I do disagree, though, with the assumption that a person has to work within his/her field or major in order to be considered a success.
              None of us wants to be a stocker at Wal-mart, but there are plenty of successful folks with Liberal Arts degrees in all kinds of lines of work (usually not FB players, though).
              "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
              -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

• I click this thread on and, pugh! The stench of defeatism is unbearable. I'm out!
                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  Whenever someone uses that phrase I instinctively think of football goal posts, not soccer. It doesn't surprise me that a fan of a gymnastics school would think of soccer.
                  Nope, just at the top of google results.
                  Ya ya insert joke about my googling history.
                  I intend to live forever.
                  So far, so good.
                  --Steven Wright

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                    I'm out!
                    Promise?

Comment

• Originally posted by Solon View Post
                      there are plenty of successful folks with Liberal Arts degrees in all kinds of lines of work
                      sure, but they went to a school like yale or middlebury.
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                        I click this thread on and, pugh! The stench of defeatism is unbearable. I'm out!
                        When were you in?

Comment

• College Football Fan Bases Most Obsessed With Their Rival

Time for a parade, pukes.
                          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                            2. Utah: This is truly a strange one. Utah is a bigger school than BYU, a secular institution, a member of the Power 5 conference and has had much more recent success (having won the past five meetings). Yet, Utes fans have such a vitriolic hate for all things BYU that borders on irrational.

Maybe it's the Notre Dame syndrome played out in a single state. BYU holds itself to a "higher standard" and that's probably why Utah's fans can't stand it.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                              That was funny. I don't disagree with it. Unfortunately a lot of fans have a natural tie to their rival via the Church they belong to. So as hard as they try to distance themselves they are brought back in every Sunday.
                              "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

Comment

• http://www.ksl.com/?sid=38632951&nid...tic-department

In an hour-long interview during my show with David James on 97.5-FM and 1280-AM The Zone, Republican state Rep. Dan McCay rejected any notion of revenge or a witch hunt against Utah. He noted a bipartisan committee voted to approve the audit.

"All of our state schools are doing a fantastic job of working together with their athletic departments, they're up there as a total package saying this is what we're doing, except for one," McCay said. "This audit is focused on trying to figure out why that one university — the athletics and the academics of the institution — are not consistent. They don't share the same vision."
                                "Once you're a Power 5, things change for you and now you're famous, you're a rock star and as a result everybody needs to sup at your table and wait for the crumbs to fall from it," he said. "That just isn't how Utah athletics has been run in this state, and candidly it isn't part of our culture. Maybe our culture is learning as well from what Power 5 culture is like, and we're going to have to make some adjustments potentially. But if I would look at specifically antics, you can't have on one hand have the academic institution asking for $340-plus million in public subsidy and on the other hand have the athletic department say the Legislature really doesn't matter. You can't have those two things, it's not consistent. These are messages added up consistently from the athletic director and coach Krystkowiak."
                                *Banned*

Comment

Working...
                                X