Week 6: The Reckoning

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Joe Public
    8.1 YPC
    • Apr 2011
    • 8532

    #91
    Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
    Alabama more so than FSU. By my count, teams that have gone undefeated and untied over the past 50 years. Bold years indicate #1 final ranking in either AP or UPI/Coaches Poll. An * indicates the team did not play in a Bowl game because of probation.

    Team Nbr Years
    Penn St. 5 1968, 1969, 1973, 1986, 1994
    Alabama 4 1966, 1979, 1992, 2009
    Nebraska 4 1971, 1994, 1995, 1997
    Miami 3 1987, 1991, 2001
    Ohio St. 3 1968, 2002, 2012*
    Auburn 3 1993*, 2004, 2010
    Florida St. 2 1999, 2013
    USC 2 1972, 2004
    Texas 2 1969, 2013
    Oklahoma 2 1974*, 2000
    Notre Dame 2 1973, 1988
    Boise St. 2 2006, 2009
    Utah 2 2004, 2008
    Arizona St. 2 1970, 1975
    Tennessee 1 1998
    Michigan 1 1997
    Washington 1 1991
    BYU 1 1984
    Clemson 1 1981
    Georgia 1 1980
    Pittsburgh 1 1976
    Arkansas 1 1964
    TCU 1 2010
    Marshall 1 1999
    Tulane 1 1998
    I'm pretty sure Texas lost at least one game in 2013.

    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

    "What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

    Comment

    • Pelado
      Bald not naked
      • Sep 2010
      • 21148

      #92
      Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
      Alabama more so than FSU. By my count, teams that have gone undefeated and untied over the past 50 years. Bold years indicate #1 final ranking in either AP or UPI/Coaches Poll. An * indicates the team did not play in a Bowl game because of probation.

      Team Nbr Years
      Penn St. 5 1968, 1969, 1973, 1986, 1994
      Alabama 4 1966, 1979, 1992, 2009
      Nebraska 4 1971, 1994, 1995, 1997
      Miami 3 1987, 1991, 2001
      Ohio St. 3 1968, 2002, 2012*
      Auburn 3 1993*, 2004, 2010
      Florida St. 2 1999, 2013
      USC 2 1972, 2004
      Texas 2 1969, 2013
      Oklahoma 2 1974*, 2000
      Notre Dame 2 1973, 1988
      Boise St. 2 2006, 2009
      Utah 2 2004, 2008
      Arizona St. 2 1970, 1975
      Tennessee 1 1998
      Michigan 1 1997
      Washington 1 1991
      BYU 1 1984
      Clemson 1 1981
      Georgia 1 1980
      Pittsburgh 1 1976
      Arkansas 1 1964
      TCU 1 2010
      Marshall 1 1999
      Tulane 1 1998
      So assuming your calculation are correct (aside from the wrong year for at least one team) - it's been an average of about one undefeated team per year.

      Edit: Also, since the start of the Bowl Coalition (followed by the Bowl Alliance, the BCS, and now the playoff) in the 1992 season, looks like 26 undefeated seasons - or about 1.2 undefeated teams per year. That, of course, is a higher average than the preceeding 28 years - before standard 12 game seasons and matching up 1 vs. 2 in the Alliance/Coalition/BCS.
      Last edited by Pelado; 10-03-2014, 11:53 AM.
      "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
      - Goatnapper'96

      Comment

      • Paperback Writer
        Signature won a Pulitzer
        • Nov 2010
        • 5211

        #93
        Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
        I'm pretty sure Texas lost at least one game in 2013.
        Good catch. UT went undefeated in 2005 not 2013.
        Originally posted by Pelado View Post
        So assuming your calculation are correct (aside from the wrong year for at least one team) - it's been an average of about one undefeated team per year.
        I think in the future it will be even more rare with the playoffs. It's very difficult for a team to go undefeated and I believe more rare than most people think. Even for teams at the top of college football at the moment: Alabama and FSU. Alabama last went undefeated five years ago and FSU has only managed it twice. I doubt either team goes undefeated this year. So I think it unfair to criticize Oregon for not accomplishing such a feat when teams every year with better talent can't go undefeated. If BYU manages it this year, it will be a great achievement; especially, considering the Cougars will play a very good team in a major bowl or a couple of excellent teams in the playoffs.
        Last edited by Paperback Writer; 10-03-2014, 12:02 PM.
        “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
        "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

        Comment

        • TheBYUGuy
          Friend of Rodin
          • Sep 2009
          • 1442

          #94
          Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
          And we might be seeing that the PAC is not that good this year. We can still hold out hope that Utah becomes bowl eligible, leading to a BYU/Utah bowl game.
          Is Utah also moving to the American Conference mid-season?

          Comment

          • Paperback Writer
            Signature won a Pulitzer
            • Nov 2010
            • 5211

            #95
            Originally posted by TheBYUGuy View Post
            Is Utah also moving to the American Conference mid-season?
            Or Utah winning the PAC-12 and BYU going undefeated and both making the play-offs. A few more dominoes would have to fall though.
            “Not the victory but the action. Not the goal but the game. In the deed the glory.”
            "All things are measured against Nebraska." falafel

            Comment

            • TheBYUGuy
              Friend of Rodin
              • Sep 2009
              • 1442

              #96
              Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
              Or Utah winning the PAC-12 and BYU going undefeated and both making the play-offs. A few more dominoes would have to fall though.
              I think Utah moving conferences mid-season is more likely.

              Comment

              • Commando
                Explosivo
                • Feb 2009
                • 20748

                #97
                Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                Or Utah winning the PAC-12 and BYU going undefeated and both making the play-offs. A few more dominoes would have to fall though.
                Are you thinking what I'm thinking?!? A BATTLE ROYALE FOR THE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP!!
                "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

                Comment

                • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                  Time to camp
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 26082

                  #98
                  Originally posted by Paperback Writer View Post
                  Good catch. UT went undefeated in 2005 not 2013.
                  I thought his knee was down. FWIW.
                  Get confident, stupid
                  -landpoke

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69735

                    #99
                    Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                    I thought his knee was down. FWIW.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • Flystripper
                      Degenerate Gambler
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 14095

                      #100
                      Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                      I thought his knee was down. FWIW.
                      It was
                      Dyslexics are teople poo...

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69735

                        #101
                        Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                        It was
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • LiveCoug
                          LA Ute loves me
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 18489

                          #102
                          This Lousville Syracuse game is a snoozefest.

                          Comment

                          • Blueintheface
                            Senior Member
                            • Sep 2009
                            • 15382

                            #103
                            Both teams rack disciprine.
                            "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                            "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                            Comment

                            • myboynoah
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 21719

                              #104
                              How hard it must be to recruit athletes to play football at Syracuse. What can possibly be the appeal?

                              And these uniforms are hurting my eyes. My rods and cones are all screwed up.
                              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                              For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                              Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                              Comment

                              • myboynoah
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 21719

                                #105
                                Nice shoestring tackle there, otherwise I think that guy was gone.
                                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                                For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                                Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                                Comment

                                Working...