Red Dead Redemption: BYU vs. Utah 2013

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • HuskyFreeNorthwest
    Time to camp
    • Nov 2008
    • 26082

    #1621
    Who is Thornton? Why is he the go to guy in the 4th quarter?
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

    Comment

    • The_Douger
      Athletic Supporter
      • Jun 2012
      • 5413

      #1622
      Outside of Hoffman, these guys are pathetic.

      I'm still perplexed why Hine wasn't given some carries in the 2nd half after the Williams injury.
      Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

      Comment

      • MartyFunkhouser
        Disciple of RNGesus
        • Nov 2008
        • 18763

        #1623
        Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
        Refs were downright awful, but they didn't cause the loss. The no call on the last play was a travesty and they ran out as quickly as they could, just like they did when they killed the ASU-Wisconsin game. We wouldn't have scored on the last play, even if we had gotten it ... like we should have.
        Matthews grabbed the defender and pulled him towards him. Not way you call that.

        Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4
        As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
        --Kendrick Lamar

        Comment

        • SeattleUte
          Faith crisis consultant
          • Nov 2008
          • 20837

          #1624
          Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
          Refs were downright awful, but they didn't cause the loss. The no call on the last play was a travesty and they ran out as quickly as they could, just like they did when they killed the ASU-Wisconsin game. We wouldn't have scored on the last play, even if we had gotten it ... like we should have.
          The game should have been over long before then. That unsportsmanlike conduct call on Rowe was a travesty, after the Utes had them beat fair and square on the field. Good thing the Utes and their fans are so unsportsmanlike, I guess, or BYU wouldn't get so many chances to win the last two years. I'm very careful about these kinds of judgments, but I wonder if the call would have happened if Rowe were white.
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

          --Jonathan Swift

          Comment

          • USUC
            Chronic Poseur
            • Apr 2010
            • 8805

            #1625
            Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
            So BYU has a game scoring 16 points against a bad Virginia and another scoring 13 points against a Utah defense that has shown can be exploited for big points. The Texas game appears to be more of an aberration - they were a mess and fired the DC two days after the game. I'm not calling for Ammon Olsen, but I think it's fair for people to start bringing it up. Hill came into the game completing a third of his passes and went 18-48 in the game. That is off-the-charts bad. You can't have that. For my part, Hill is good enough and has enough big play capability on the ground (still ran for 100 yards last night) that I think you stay with him for now, but it's pretty disconcerting to watch him consistently over throw guys, throw behind guys, throw to Thornton, throw balls into the ground and be absolutely atrocious when throwing on the run.
            There were 30 plays where the pitch and catch was unsuccessful. 30 plays! Some could be drops, bad rout running, good coverage, etc. But this is bad QB play. I don't think you see a change at QB until another 2 or 3 losses with the same completion average. How wed to the read option is Anae? We don't have another QB who can keep the defense honest on the ground.

            Comment

            • ERCougar
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 10978

              #1626
              Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
              The game should have been over long before then. That unsportsmanlike conduct call on Rowe was a travesty, after the Utes had them beat fair and square on the field. Good thing the Utes and their fans are so unsportsmanlike, I guess, or BYU wouldn't get so many chances to win the last two years. I'm very careful about these kinds of judgments, but I wonder if the call would have happened if Rowe were white.
              Yes, I can see how carefully you make these kinds of judgments!

              Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

              Comment

              • Mooseknuckle
                Junior Member
                • Oct 2011
                • 5

                #1627
                Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                Who is Thornton? Why is he the go to guy in the 4th quarter?
                This was my question as well. Why so many crunch time targets to this nobody? The only thing he can be credited with this season is the block in the back on Hine's long kickoff return 2 weeks ago.

                Comment

                • LiveCoug
                  LA Ute loves me
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 18489

                  #1628
                  I hate my life.

                  Comment

                  • SCcoug
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 7625

                    #1629
                    It has been said before but I'll say it again. We really squandered the Max Hall years for QB development. History is not on the side of RM quarterbacks. If they do become effective it is after extended time in the program (or JC plus redshirt). Not having a good option in 2010 has led to relying on freshman, RMs without enough time in the system (or physical tools) or both. Add in injury taking away offseason work and it gets even uglier. Also for those calling for Olson he can't beat out a 35%, 74 qb rating passer.

                    Comment

                    • The_Douger
                      Athletic Supporter
                      • Jun 2012
                      • 5413

                      #1630
                      Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
                      It has been said before but I'll say it again. We really squandered the Max Hall years for QB development. History is not on the side of RM quarterbacks. If they do become effective it is after extended time in the program (or JC plus redshirt). Not having a good option in 2010 has led to relying on freshman, RMs without enough time in the system (or physical tools) or both. Add in injury taking away offseason work and it gets even uglier. Also for those calling for Olson he can't beat out a 35%, 74 qb rating passer.
                      It could just be that he doesn't fit what they're trying to do. He was zipping it around in warmups. I think the GHGF is fine, but I think you can do that with a more traditional running game and pro style passer.

                      I can't stand watching a BYU QB complete under 40% of the passes. It's just ridiculous. It makes Riley Nelson look decent.
                      Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

                      Comment

                      • The_Douger
                        Athletic Supporter
                        • Jun 2012
                        • 5413

                        #1631
                        I really think we need to bring back the TE. That's been a good matchup advantage for us over the years, and we aren't even using the TE at this point.
                        Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

                        Comment

                        • Jeff Lebowski
                          Corporate lackey for Jesus
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 69747

                          #1632
                          Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                          The game should have been over long before then. That unsportsmanlike conduct call on Rowe was a travesty, after the Utes had them beat fair and square on the field. Good thing the Utes and their fans are so unsportsmanlike, I guess, or BYU wouldn't get so many chances to win the last two years. I'm very careful about these kinds of judgments, but I wonder if the call would have happened if Rowe were white.
                          Geez, what an ass.
                          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                          Comment

                          • Surfah
                            Where's Wallace?
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 33726

                            #1633
                            Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
                            I really think we need to bring back the TE. That's been a good matchup advantage for us over the years, and we aren't even using the TE at this point.
                            Thompson finally caught a pass. And Friel had a pass go over his head by ten feet.
                            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                            -Turtle
                            sigpic

                            Comment

                            • Color Me Badd Fan
                              Senior Member
                              • Jan 2009
                              • 12519

                              #1634
                              Yet another year where BYU is a TD favorite (I believe the line was -7.5 at one time for BYU at one point), I flirt with the idea of putting a few hundred down on Utah because BYU hasn't beaten Utah by more than a TD since 1996. Another year where I wonder why I didn't hit that.
                              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                              Comment

                              • The_Douger
                                Athletic Supporter
                                • Jun 2012
                                • 5413

                                #1635
                                Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                                Thompson finally caught a pass. And Friel had a pass go over his head by ten feet.
                                Yeah, that was bad.

                                I got pretty tired of our guys whining for calls all night.
                                Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

                                Comment

                                Working...