Predict the Utah Offensive Shakeup

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • New Mexican Disaster
    Suomalainen
    • Nov 2008
    • 4549

    #46
    This will be interesting.

    Comment

    • OrangeUte
      Max Hall hates me.
      • Nov 2008
      • 2294

      #47
      Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
      This will be interesting.
      You bet your boots it will be.

      Comment

      • Surfah
        Where's Wallace?
        • Nov 2008
        • 33726

        #48
        I am surprised that you guys are excited about this hire. Erickson is old. He has no loyalty. And hasn't had any sustained success since his days at Miami, a program he left under sanctions. Out of 11 seasons in the Pac 10 he has had only 5 winning seasons, the last coming in 2007.
        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
        -Turtle
        sigpic

        Comment

        • Cougarmandias
          Stringpuller to the stars
          • Apr 2011
          • 407

          #49
          Originally posted by Surfah View Post
          I am surprised that you guys are excited about this hire. Erickson is old. He has no loyalty. And hasn't had any sustained success since his days at Miami, a program he left under sanctions. Out of 11 seasons in the Pac 10 he has had only 5 winning seasons, the last coming in 2007.
          Because look at the alternative--Brian Johnson by his lonesome. The same reason we're excited about Dr. Anae.

          Congrats, Utes. This isn't a home run hire, but it at least gives you some upside intrigue to look forward to next season, like Anae for us.
          I think, perhaps, the only person who hates BYU fans more than ute fans hate BYU fans, is Bronco Mendenhall.
          -smokymountainrain


          Menden Hall Hates Me.

          Comment

          • Moliere
            One man.....one pie
            • Oct 2009
            • 27877

            #50
            Originally posted by Surfah View Post
            He has no loyalty.
            This is an understatement.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

            Comment

            • Clark Addison
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 10305

              #51
              In some ways a similar move to the Chow hiring, and in the same ways it has some risks. IMO this has a greater chance of working out for Utah than the Chow hiring (as a BYU fan, I was never that worried about Chow creating a great offense), but I haven't followed Erickson all that closely.

              Comment

              • MartyFunkhouser
                Disciple of RNGesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 18747

                #52
                Re: Predict the Utah Offensive Shakeup

                Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                I am surprised that you guys are excited about this hire. Erickson is old. He has no loyalty. And hasn't had any sustained success since his days at Miami, a program he left under sanctions. Out of 11 seasons in the Pac 10 he has had only 5 winning seasons, the last coming in 2007.
                Which would all be huge concerns if he was a head coach hire.

                Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
                As I lead this army, make room for mistakes and depression
                --Kendrick Lamar

                Comment

                • U-Ute
                  Non member
                  • Aug 2009
                  • 2071

                  #53
                  Originally posted by @utahathletics
                  Excited to announce Dennis Erickson as our new co-offensive coordinator. Won 2 natl titles at Miami & 3-time Pac-12 coach of year. #utes
                  I thought A-Rod was a co-OC as well. Does that give us 3?

                  Comment

                  • Surfah
                    Where's Wallace?
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 33726

                    #54
                    Originally posted by mpfunk View Post
                    Which would all be huge concerns if he was a head coach hire.

                    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
                    Agreed. And his offense was pretty good the last couple of years at ASU. But the guy hasn't been anything other than a HC in over 30 years. That's going to be interesting, not just for BJ but for KW. You're managing a guy to manage your guy who has 2 NCs.
                    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                    -Turtle
                    sigpic

                    Comment

                    • Goatnapper'96
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 10924

                      #55
                      If I am a Ute I would like it because the guy has a good offensive mind and is proven at being successful in the college game. Obviously there are a lot of reasons to be concerned, but if those reasons did not exist he likely wouldn't be coming to Utah. Kudos to Whittingham for demonstrating the need to change.

                      Time will tell what the results will be, but I don't think this was the safest decision. They could have stayed with BJ for another year as I think Whittingham has the political capital to live through another lackluster year. The British SAS, which I think is only men, would say: "He who dares, wins!"
                      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                      -General George S. Patton

                      I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                      -DOCTOR Wuap

                      Comment

                      • YOhio
                        Hipster Mode
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 26165

                        #56
                        Congrats, Utes. It's an interesting hire. Though I hope he fails, there is a good possibility that he won't and that would make you guys happy.

                        Comment

                        • U-Ute
                          Non member
                          • Aug 2009
                          • 2071

                          #57
                          Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                          Congrats, Utes. It's an interesting hire. Though I hope he fails, there is a good possibility that he won't and that would make you guys happy.
                          I'm betting this is just another 1-2 year breeze through town, mentor BJ, until he gets hired as the HC of some other WCC school.

                          Oh wait, they don't play football.

                          Comment

                          • smokymountainrain
                            Impressive Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 22593

                            #58
                            Better hire than Chow was. An improvement over BJ and the name alone should help recruiting for the short time he's there. If I'm a ute, I'm happy.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

                            Comment

                            • cougjunkie
                              *Banned*
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 23223

                              #59
                              I actually like this hire for Utah. I think Hawkins or Crowton would have been better but at this point what does Utah have to lose? BJ is not going anywhere, you can afford to yank him around for awhiile and tell him that it is in his best interest.

                              Erickson comes in with more experience than Utahs entire offensive staff. He has not been as successful lately but has shown that he can coach at a high level. The problems his teams have faced in the past is that they lacked discipline he has always had off the field run ins, as well as the most penalized teams in the country. I think that stems from him having to run an entire program. Now he can just focus on the offense and even that can be split up with BJ. I have never thought of him as a bright offensive mind but looking at the numbers he has had some prolific offenses.

                              This is a nice pickup for Utah and I think it will be an improvement.
                              *Banned*

                              Comment

                              • cougjunkie
                                *Banned*
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 23223

                                #60
                                Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                                Better hire than Chow was. An improvement over BJ and the name alone should help recruiting for the short time he's there. If I'm a ute, I'm happy.
                                I disagree on recruiting, the kids he is going after were not born when he won his national titles, and all they know is how bad he was at ASU.
                                *Banned*

                                Comment

                                Working...