The death -- or at least transfromation -- of traditional rivalries?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • UtahDan
    *
    • Nov 2008
    • 14496

    #16
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    See, this is what seems so disingenuous. How could you not care less about losing a rivalry? I call bullshit.


    Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
    That's a very strange attitude.
    Because what was gained was so much greater than what was lost that having the waa-boohoos about it is incredibly silly. It's like being sad that your hot new car doesn't have a broken down bucket seat that perfectly fits the contours of your ass the way the old one did.

    Comment

    • Omaha 680
      Senior Member
      • Jul 2011
      • 11183

      #17
      Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
      Because what was gained was so much greater than what was lost that having the waa-boohoos about it is incredibly silly. It's like being sad that your hot new car doesn't have a broken down bucket seat that perfectly fits the contours of your ass the way the old one did.
      Are you saying we fit the contours of your ass? I'm flattered.

      Comment

      • UtahDan
        *
        • Nov 2008
        • 14496

        #18
        Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
        Are you saying we fit the contours of your ass? I'm flattered.
        Some of you. Some.

        Comment

        • LA Ute
          Receiver of Memory
          • Nov 2008
          • 19512

          #19
          Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
          I find it highly ironic that Ute fans here are waxing nostalgic over lost rivalries, as it's inarguable that the U of U (at either the insistence of the Pac 12, or as a consequence of membership) has been the primary executioner of the BYU-Utah rivalry.
          It will always be nostalgic -- always would have been, no matter what -- and regardless of who or what caused it to end or change, I'll still miss it. I won't miss everything about it, and my life will be complete without it, but Thanksgiving weekends won't be the same, that's all.

          Although I suppose you are enjoying that new rivalry with Colorado, with this nailbiter of a game to determine whether Colorado keeps sole possession of the conference basement.
          I may be wrong but I think we finished ahead of Cal, WSU, and CU. So we sit at the top of the bottom third of the conference. We are reduced to saying "it could have been worse." Bleah.

          Good luck against the Aggies.
          Last edited by LA Ute; 11-23-2012, 07:32 PM.
          “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
          ― W.H. Auden


          "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
          -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


          "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
          --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

          Comment

          • YOhio
            Hipster Mode
            • Nov 2008
            • 26165

            #20
            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            See, this is what seems so disingenuous. How could you not care less about losing a rivalry? I call bullshit.
            He is beyond feeling.

            Comment

            • SeattleUte
              Faith crisis consultant
              • Nov 2008
              • 20837

              #21
              When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

              --Jonathan Swift

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69741

                #22
                I certainly understand why Utah made the jump to the PAC12. They would have been crazy to turn it down. But when a Ute fan claims not even a twinge of regret over the loss of the BYU rivalry, I see only two possible explanations: 1) He is lying in an attempt to rub the change in the face of BYU fans, or 2) he never was a real fan in the first place. A fan without a soul, so to speak. Neither of these positions deserves any respect.

                I understand the driving forces behind all the realignment. But please don't insult our intelligence by pretending that it comes without a cost.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • UtahDan
                  *
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 14496

                  #23
                  Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  I certainly understand why Utah made the jump to the PAC12. They would have been crazy to turn it down. But when a Ute fan claims not even a twinge of regret over the loss of the BYU rivalry, I see only two possible explanations: 1) He is lying in an attempt to rub the change in the face of BYU fans, or 2) he never was a real fan in the first place. A fan without a soul, so to speak. Neither of these positions deserves any respect.

                  I understand the driving forces behind all the realignment. But please don't insult our intelligence by pretending that it comes without a cost.
                  I'm sorry if it feels like its rubbing it in, that isn't my intention. I think you are just under estimating how enjoyable the new situation is for Utah fans. It makes it hard to feel bad about any aspect of it. I hope you guys make it into one of the Super conferences that I think are coming at some point. I think you will see what I mean. If you guys were playing a big 12 schedule you wouldn't care about the game with Utah. Not even a little. Trust me.

                  Comment

                  • The_Douger
                    Athletic Supporter
                    • Jun 2012
                    • 5413

                    #24
                    Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                    I'm sorry if it feels like its rubbing it in, that isn't my intention. I think you are just under estimating how enjoyable the new situation is for Utah fans. It makes it hard to feel bad about any aspect of it. I hope you guys make it into one of the Super conferences that I think are coming at some point. I think you will see what I mean. If you guys were playing a big 12 schedule you wouldn't care about the game with Utah. Not even a little. Trust me.
                    I still would.

                    Utah is our rival. I care about that.
                    Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

                    Comment

                    • Mormon Red Death
                      BYU Delenda Est
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 8077

                      #25
                      Honestly I wish utah and byu would play every year. When that happens doesn't really matter to me. I like the rivalry. I like beating byu. If byu was smart they would go to the pac12 and say:

                      We will be your other team for when Notre Dame plays USC and stanford. On a round robin schedule we will play home/home and neutral (ex.. ucla @ rose, @ lavell @ jack murphy satdium) with as many pac12 teams you want except Utah we play home and home.

                      Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2
                      "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

                      "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

                      Comment

                      • Mormon Red Death
                        BYU Delenda Est
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 8077

                        #26
                        Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                        Honestly I wish utah and byu would play every year. When that happens doesn't really matter to me. I like the rivalry. I like beating byu. If byu was smart they would go to the pac12 and say:

                        We will be your other team for when Notre Dame plays USC and stanford. On a round robin schedule we will play home/home and neutral (ex.. ucla @ rose, @ lavell @ jack murphy satdium) with as many pac12 teams you want except Utah we play home and home.

                        Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2
                        With utah they could play home/home and vegas

                        Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2
                        "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

                        "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

                        Comment

                        • The_Douger
                          Athletic Supporter
                          • Jun 2012
                          • 5413

                          #27
                          Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                          Honestly I wish utah and byu would play every year. When that happens doesn't really matter to me. I like the rivalry. I like beating byu. If byu was smart they would go to the pac12 and say:

                          We will be your other team for when Notre Dame plays USC and stanford. On a round robin schedule we will play home/home and neutral (ex.. ucla @ rose, @ lavell @ jack murphy satdium) with as many pac12 teams you want except Utah we play home and home.

                          Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk 2

                          That would be awesome, but that hasn't seemed to be the PAC's attitude towards BYU lately. I don't get the impression that the PAC wants to throw BYU a bone ever. I would love if that was the case, however.
                          Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69741

                            #28
                            Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                            I'm sorry if it feels like its rubbing it in, that isn't my intention. I think you are just under estimating how enjoyable the new situation is for Utah fans. It makes it hard to feel bad about any aspect of it. I hope you guys make it into one of the Super conferences that I think are coming at some point. I think you will see what I mean. If you guys were playing a big 12 schedule you wouldn't care about the game with Utah. Not even a little. Trust me.
                            So option #2 then. Gotcha.

                            And for the record, I view the loss of the Texas vs A&M rivalry the same way. There are some fans on both sides of that pretending not to care.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • UtahDan
                              *
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 14496

                              #29
                              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              So option #2 then. Gotcha.

                              And for the record, I view the loss of the Texas vs A&M rivalry the same way. There are some fans on both sides of that pretending not to care.
                              Very different situation. Plus if anyone is going to make the no true Scotsman argument I think its going to have to be a Utah fan.

                              Comment

                              • pellegrino
                                miserere me
                                • Jan 2009
                                • 12100

                                #30
                                BYUtv broadcasts replays of past Holy Wars on the Friday and Saturday after Thanksgiving. They've been doing it for years, kind of as a way to pump up BYU fans/alumni for the big game. It seems like continuing to do so now is just a shadow of the past, a simulacrum produced in the hope that somehow, somewhere things will return as they once were.
                                Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                                God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                                Alessandro Manzoni

                                Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                                pelagius

                                Comment

                                Working...