The death -- or at least transfromation -- of traditional rivalries?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • LA Ute
    Receiver of Memory
    • Nov 2008
    • 19512

    #1

    The death -- or at least transfromation -- of traditional rivalries?

    Interesting but sad (IMO) article in the Wall Street Journal:

    Last Rivals Standing

    Thanksgiving weekend is about rivalries, and there are some great tribal feuds on tap. But many such games matter less now, or are extinct. The battle for the soul of college football....
    “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
    ― W.H. Auden


    "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
    -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery
  • YOhio
    Hipster Mode
    • Nov 2008
    • 26165

    #2
    Yeah, so sad. Go cry in your big PAC12 pot of money.

    Comment

    • BoylenOver
      Junior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 9146

      #3
      LA, I know you're merely passing along the article, rather than using it to represent a personal POV, but it does absolutely nothing for me.

      Some rivalries fade away, but others rise in its wake (Alabama-LSU and Georgia-Florida received zero mention, but those games received high TV ratings and featured two great teams and two fanbases that hate each other).
      "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
      "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

      Comment

      • LA Ute
        Receiver of Memory
        • Nov 2008
        • 19512

        #4
        Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
        LA, I know you're merely passing along the article, rather than using it to represent a personal POV, but it does absolutely nothing for me.

        Some rivalries fade away, but others rise in its wake (Alabama-LSU and Georgia-Florida received zero mention, but those games received high TV ratings and featured two great teams and two fanbases that hate each other).
        I think you are right, but I still will miss that post-Thanksgiving hatefest. Old-timers say that the USU-Utah rivalry was once more intense than the BYU-Utah rivalry. Maybe they were sad to see that one end too. Cougers vs. Utes was the rivalry of my time, but obviously the times, they are...well, you know.

        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
        ― W.H. Auden


        "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


        "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

        Comment

        • U-Ute
          Non member
          • Aug 2009
          • 2071

          #5
          Things are always evolving. If we ever do evolve a true rivalry with Colorado, it will be interesting. We'll be the "holier than thou" fans over those pot smoking hippies.

          Comment

          • SoCalCoug
            Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant
            • Nov 2008
            • 5214

            #6
            I find it highly ironic that Ute fans here are waxing nostalgic over lost rivalries, as it's inarguable that the U of U (at either the insistence of the Pac 12, or as a consequence of membership) has been the primary executioner of the BYU-Utah rivalry.

            Although I suppose you are enjoying that new rivalry with Colorado, with this nailbiter of a game to determine whether Colorado keeps sole possession of the conference basement.
            If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

            "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

            "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

            Comment

            • Omaha 680
              Senior Member
              • Jul 2011
              • 11181

              #7
              What's all the fuss? I enjoyed the traditional thanksgiving Texas/TCU game, followed by Iowa/Nebraska, Utah/Colorado, and WV/Iowa State today. These rivalries are awesome.

              Comment

              • BoylenOver
                Junior Member
                • Nov 2008
                • 9146

                #8
                Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
                I find it highly ironic that Ute fans here are waxing nostalgic over lost rivalries, as it's inarguable that the U of U (at either the insistence of the Pac 12, or as a consequence of membership) has been the primary executioner of the BYU-Utah rivalry.
                The Utah-BYU rivalry is not dead.

                Also, you should consider reading the article enclosed within Clark's post:

                "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                Comment

                • The_Douger
                  Athletic Supporter
                  • Jun 2012
                  • 5413

                  #9
                  Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                  The Utah-BYU rivalry is not dead.

                  Also, you should consider reading the article enclosed within Clark's post:

                  http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showpo...postcount=1322
                  I feel like it is.

                  We're taking a break for a couple years. We play in Sept, not in Nov when the real rivalries are played. Utah doesn't really seem to want to play going forward.

                  It's lost it's luster.
                  Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

                  Comment

                  • SoCalCoug
                    Ragnar Lodbrok Descendant
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 5214

                    #10
                    Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                    The Utah-BYU rivalry is not dead.

                    Also, you should consider reading the article enclosed within Clark's post:

                    http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showpo...postcount=1322
                    Done. What's your point? I find my statement well within the definition of irony. "a technique of indicating . . . an intention or attitude opposite to that which is actually or ostensibly stated."

                    Ute fans bemoan the loss of rivalries, when it was their school that has caused the death of the BYU-Utah rivalry? You've got to split some pretty fine hairs to discredit my use of the word.
                    If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

                    "Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

                    "Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

                    Comment

                    • BoylenOver
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 9146

                      #11
                      Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
                      I feel like it is.

                      We're taking a break for a couple years. We play in Sept, not in Nov when the real rivalries are played. Utah doesn't really seem to want to play going forward.

                      It's lost it's luster.
                      Plenty of rivalries that are bigger than Utah/BYU are played outside of November.
                      "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
                      "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

                      Comment

                      • The_Douger
                        Athletic Supporter
                        • Jun 2012
                        • 5413

                        #12
                        Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                        Plenty of rivalries that are bigger than Utah/BYU are played outside of November.
                        A majority of the best rivalries are played this weekend.
                        Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

                        Comment

                        • UtahDan
                          *
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 14496

                          #13
                          Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post
                          Ute fans bemoan the loss of rivalries...
                          How many? I sure as hell don't. Life is much better now. I couldn't care less and I think that is most of us.

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69689

                            #14
                            Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                            How many? I sure as hell don't. Life is much better now. I couldn't care less and I think that is most of us.
                            See, this is what seems so disingenuous. How could you not care less about losing a rivalry? I call bullshit.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • New Mexican Disaster
                              Suomalainen
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 4549

                              #15
                              Originally posted by UtahDan View Post
                              How many? I sure as hell don't. Life is much better now. I couldn't care less and I think that is most of us.
                              That's a very strange attitude.

                              Comment

                              Working...