2012 College Football Season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shaka View Post
    It's because players aren't tightening their chin straps like they used to.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Exactly. And they aren't inflating the crown either.

3D...I don't think you are serious about this, but I will attempt to explain.

You have had plenty of chances to pull the PC out of car seats for the last few years. Just having them "in" the car seat isn't enough. You need to make sure that it is attached to the car correctly, and that they are strapped in securely. You do this because it is going to offer them the greatest amount of protection in case of an accident.

Inflatable crowns, and the chin straps are the same way. If you have the straps tight and the crown inflated, if someone grabs your face mask and gave it a shook...it shouldn't move. If there is any movement (or to say if the helmet moves but the head doesn't) then the helmet isn't fit right.

Players like to keep the straps loose, and under inflated because it makes it easier to get the helmet off and on faster.

Tight chin straps aren't comfortable either, but it is better than the concussion that can come from being "comfortable".

Comment

Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
      Who cares about the helmet rule. The touchback rule is terrible. You move kickoffs up to the 35 and then touchbacks are now placed at the 25?

Makes no sense to penalize teams 5 yards for kicking it in to the endzone.
      they're trying to eliminate or minimize kickoff returns.
      Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
      God forgives many things for an act of mercy
      Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
        That's how it looks to me, too. They want more kick-offs to reach or pass the endzone, and they want more returners who have the ball in the endzone to think it's better to down it than to come out.

I think cougjunkie makes an interesting point,though. With a shorter distance to cover and less incentive to put it in the endzone, will teams make adjustments that actually put the kick-off in play more often than now?
        "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

Bobby Petrino placed on administrative leave. Got into a motorcycle accident on Sunday, told everyone he was by himself, but he was actually riding with a university employee half his age.
          "I don't know the origin of said bitch booming."-Art Vandelay
          "Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
            Bobby Petrino placed on administrative leave. Got into a motorcycle accident on Sunday, told everyone he was by himself, but he was actually riding with a university employee half his age.
            That's an appropriate punishment for needlessly placing the young life of a co-worker in harms way. He should only be riding with women twice his age.
            "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
            - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Not sure where to put this story so I guess i'll put it here. The MWC and C-USA won't be merging after all

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...urphy/18623903

Looks like this is why

However, if C-USA and the MWC dissolved, each conference would then lose money from the NCAA tournament because those units are distributed after a six-year period. In other words, it doesn’t appear there was an option where the two conferences married and simply profited to maximum capability.
              http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...onger-merging/

Utah State may just find itself in the MWC after all.

Comment

Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                The beginning of the end. They know football is unsafe and trying to make it slightly less so by reducing the number of kickoff returns only highlights their knowledge of how unsafe football is.

Certainly the few that do get returned will be just as unsafe as they were before. Surely they are not less safe then a safety clocking a receiver coming across the middle or a backer launching into the TE on a cross. Or a blitzing blind side into the QB. And on and on.

You can't fix football and make it safe. So eventually it will go away. I give it 15-20 years max.

The Ivys will drop it first. Then Stanford and Duke will follow suit. Then as the lawsuits pile up, educational institutions will release that they really shouldn't be causing brain damage in their students for money and glory. Highschools will immediately drop football too. Probably a few enlightened districts will lead the colleges with their bans.
                A Mormon president could make a perfectly patriotic, competent, inspiring leader. But not Mitt Romney. He is a husked void. --David Javerbaum

Comment

Originally posted by The Rambam View Post
                  The beginning of the end. They know football is unsafe and trying to make it slightly less so by reducing the number of kickoff returns only highlights their knowledge of how unsafe football is.

Certainly the few that do get returned will be just as unsafe as they were before. Surely they are not less safe then a safety clocking a receiver coming across the middle or a backer launching into the TE on a cross. Or a blitzing blind side into the QB. And on and on.

You can't fix football and make it safe. So eventually it will go away. I give it 15-20 years max.

The Ivys will drop it first. Then Stanford and Duke will follow suit. Then as the lawsuits pile up, educational institutions will release that they really shouldn't be causing brain damage in their students for money and glory. Highschools will immediately drop football too. Probably a few enlightened districts will lead the colleges with their bans.
                  I don't see this happening, as it already came close to happening in 1905 when T Roosevelt nearly shut it down after 19 deaths in one year. It didn't happen then, I just don't see it happening now, even if the damage done is quantifiable. I do, however, see them making every effort to minimize risk and liability.
                  Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                  God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                  Alessandro Manzoni

Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

pelagius

Comment

CSU has announced plans to build a brand new, on campus stadium with a capacity of about 42 k...

Seems ambitious, considering they don't even sell out their current 34 k stadium.

Conceptual drawings here:

Comment

Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                      CSU has announced plans to build a brand new, on campus stadium with a capacity of about 42 k...

Seems ambitious, considering they don't even sell out their current 34 k stadium.
                      Looks like they are only planning on it being half full based on the renderings.

Comment

If there was a "CFB threads" thread, this would belong there. That said...

"Hot Lunch posted awhile back on this. He knows more than anyone except for maybe BO."-Seattle Ute

Comment

Tyrann Mathieu dismissed from LSU.

I'd like to get nik's thoughts on this, but I think this loss will be overstated. LSU will miss his dynamic punt returns, but he wasn't an elite corner.

Comment

Honey Badger don't care about LSU team rules, so now honey badger not playing for LSU and looking to transfer.

Comment

How does this hurt LSU? With him in the title game, LSU gave up 21 points, scored zero points and didn't make it past midfield. How could it possibly be worse the next time?
                              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by BoylenOver View Post
                                Tyrann Mathieu dismissed from LSU.

I'd like to get nik's thoughts on this, but I think this loss will be overstated. LSU will miss his dynamic punt returns, but he wasn't an elite corner.
                                He was LSU's worst defensive player on the field in the title game.

Comment

Working...
                                X