Doman vs. Anae's offensive plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doman vs. Anae's offensive plan

I read a while ago, that Doman's version of the offense will be more stretched, that he will go deeper more often and that it will be more risk/reward type offense. Less emphasis on the wide splits of the offensive line. Pro set, etc.

The article also suggested that Anae's offense was more calculated, controlled and that led to one of the highest 3rd down conversions in the country.

So...I wonder how Coug fans are going to react when we don't have as many sustained drives, more 3 and outs, etc? Will the fans have tolerance and patience for the offense to adjust to the new offense...and, will they like the change knowing that it may not be as successful?
    "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

Originally posted by Borg View Post

So...I wonder how Coug fans are going to react when we don't have as many sustained drives, more 3 and outs, etc? Will the fans have tolerance and patience for the offense to adjust to the new offense...and, will they like the change knowing that it may not be as successful?
    Depends on if we are winning, and if the fan feel that we're living up to our (overhyped?) potential.

No one can argue that Anae wasn't consistently successful. The rub was that he wasn't explosively so, seemed to plateau with NFL type talent, and had a tendency towards conservatism in big moments (see last drive versus Utah 2010).
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

- Ty Cobb

Comment

I'm curious to see what it looks like too.

Saying that Doman will go down field more doesn't necessarily mean much. It seemed like with Anae that there were times that BYU didn't go down field at all. If you use an ocassional deep through to shake things lose on the running game and shorter throws, then maybe it doesn't necessarily result in fewer sustained drives.

Doman has said that they'll be under center more - which will help the running game. He's also said that being under center will help with the play action pass, and he has said that they will pass more.

It seems like Anae's playcalling was about 50/50 run/pass more often than not. So it will be interesting to see what happens when Doman goes into a more run friendly formation, but then passes at a higher rate - assuming he does what he said he is going to do.

Anyway - I guess I'm saying that I'm curious too as to the response Doman will get from fans. And will they accept a lesser 3rd down conversion rate with the trade off of more big plays downfield? Does anyone care about 3rd down rate if you are scoring as much?

Personally, I never cared how it was done - running or passing. Just score points and win baby! Some fans won't be happy unless every play is a pass, every pass is downfield and every drive is a TD.

Comment

Originally posted by Borg View Post
        I read a while ago, that Doman's version of the offense will be more stretched, that he will go deeper more often and that it will be more risk/reward type offense. Less emphasis on the wide splits of the offensive line. Pro set, etc.

The article also suggested that Anae's offense was more calculated, controlled and that led to one of the highest 3rd down conversions in the country.

When detmer was OC/QB, he used a more risky, attacking, type offense, and fans didn't seem to mind.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

BYU fans will always complain about the OC with less of a whine if we win and more if we lose (or lose the big games).

Comment

San Juan -
            Are you saying that we basically drove off Anae much like Chow? That it was becoming to predictable, too slow, not explosive enough?

I think Doman will present a more exciting brand of football. I do think he is more aggressive in nature and will take risks more....which will result in we fans standing and cheering for big plays more often.

I also think it will translate into missed 3rd down opportunities..essentially, we will become much more "normal" as far as standard offenses look and perform.

I did not have a problem with Anae's offensive scheme. What I liked, is the wide splits of the O-lineman. I believe (since the days of Beck) that those wide splits really helped BYU due to the talent we have. Timing was everything with BYU. Snap, 3 step drop, look to left, fire 10 yard out, catch.

Sacks were few because D-lineman just didn't have the time to get to our QB due to "the system".

Perhaps now, we have the athletes O-line+QB+WR's to get the passing game done.

It's going to be fun to see how things develop this coming year. Hope the excitement and good feeling by coach Mendenhall are legit and good things lay in store.
            "Newton's First Law of Motion: ...things at rest tend to stay at rest. Things in motion, tend to stay in motion...."

Hmm... Good motivation for me to remain active I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
              BYU fans will always complain about the OC with less of a whine if we win and more if we lose (or lose the big games).
              I'm interested to hear your arguments supporting:

1. Chow's offense in the last several years as OC at BYU wasn't predictable and stagnant.
              2. Crowton's offense did not become ineffective (Crowton's failure was more as a head coach than OC, anyway).
              3. Anae's offense wasn't predictable and super-conservative.

In the meantime, why don't you throw in your response to the complaint we had about Jaime Hill as DC, that his defense was too complicated and unaggressive.

Could it be that maybe the complainers have a point? Anae did get "fired" this offseason, didn't he?
              If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

Doman might be fine. The proof will be in the pudding so to speak. We will have to wait and see.

Anae was a fantastic OC and people that complained about his predictability don't know shit. All you have to do is look that Anae's results. If predictability gives you consistent results in the top 20 of all NCAA offenses then please give me more predictability.

I tend to believe Anae was replaced due to personality conflict and long term organizational fit and not due to the lack of productivity of his offense.
                Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalCoug View Post

1. Chow's offense in the last several years as OC at BYU wasn't predictable and stagnant.
                  2. Crowton's offense did not become ineffective (Crowton's failure was more as a head coach than OC, anyway).

In the meantime, why don't you throw in your response to the complaint we had about Jaime Hill as DC, that his defense was too complicated and unaggressive.

Could it be that maybe the complainers have a point? Anae did get "fired" this offseason, didn't he?
                  I'm not saying the complainers never have a point (as I agree Hill was ineffective and think Anae and BYU needed to part ways) just that they will always be there win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                    When detmer was OC/QB, he used a more risky, attacking, type offense, and fans didn't seem to mind.
                    The problem is that fans (I think) are expecting Anae type success to be the baseline and they believe that Doman will only improve on that. I think a lot of people are taking what we had with Anae for granted and expect it to be the norm.
                    Last edited by TheAzzuri; 04-19-2011, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Yikes, defensive much?

Comment

It depends on how the defense performs. If you have confidence that your defense can shut down your opponent if you have a 3 and out, then risking the big play is fine. If we have a Jaime Hill type defense, then you have assume the other team will score if we give it back to them. In that case, you don't want to risk a 3 and out.
                        "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
                          Anae was a fantastic OC and people that complained about his predictability don't know shit. All you have to do is look that Anae's results. If predictability gives you consistent results in the top 20 of all NCAA offenses then please give me more predictability.
                          I saw a great analysis by DarkCoug over on TBS last year where he broke down the BYU-Wyoming game play by play. Even though BYU won, it was despite the fact that the vast majority of the time, Wyoming was set up perfectly for the play that was run - it was the superior athleticism of the OL that often made the play successful despite the defense apparently knowing exactly what was coming.

And so you believe that no sportswriters or scouts EVER commented on how predictable the offense was?

Anae was great for BYU at a time they needed him. But I think anyone who thinks it was ONLY Anae's personality that led to his departure doesn't know shit.

"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.

"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn

Comment

Originally posted by TheAzzuri View Post
                            Yikes, defensive much?
                            ? It's a discussion board. We discuss things here.

Comment

I saw a great analysis by DarkCoug over on TBS last year where he broke down the BYU-Wyoming game play by play. Even though BYU won, it was despite the fact that the vast majority of the time, Wyoming was set up perfectly for the play that was run - it was the superior athleticism of the OL that often made the play successful despite the defense apparently knowing exactly what was coming.
                              I find "analysis" like this particularly hilarious.
                              Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Working...
                              X