Hill Fired

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • byu71
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 22070

    #136
    Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
    I was looking at the DL recruiting 2007-2009. BYU recruited 6 DL over that span and 3 are already lost to attrition. One is on a mission and already been moved to OL. The other two are Manu and Bryson. The DL depth sucks this year and if not for one journeyman Vic So'oto there isn't even a player that anyone can make a rational argument for being NFL caliber (edit I am not saying Vic is NFL caliber just that he is the only one with NFL type physical talent - really good teams don't need every player to be talented but any individual player to be good must be talented and every team needs a few really good players). I think the DL has some solid players but BYU needs at least one very good DL playmaker to make up for the average at best secondary.

    Linebackers were reputed to be talented. Hopefully some of them are, but so far nobody is showing it. Further, it appears that the best two ILB are Jorgenson and Stout. Neither was even in the program last spring ball and that coming on the heals of BYU playing two lackluster ILBs for the past two years. The other options are Leing Wei and Ogletree, again one more who was not in the program the past spring ball. This glut of innexperience is poor program management. When is the last time BYU went without an all conference caliber ILB for 3 years?

    Beyond the mismanagement of ILB and DL, look at safety. Uggh. What if Andrew Rich has not come back?

    There have been defections and attrition, perhaps Jaimie Hill is to blame for some of that but that happens at every school and often at BYU a bit more. I have said that for Mendenhall to become a good recruiter the biggest challenge is to improve BYU's attrition rates. The past few years were not good - and to add support to Mendenhall's firing of Hill the majority of the attrition has been on the defensive side. Mendenhall's failings were not heading this off earlier and not flexing enough offensive players soon enough to deal with the issues.
    I see the LDS kids that Utah has on the DL. I don't know if they are better talent or just coached up, but they sure do look good to me. I guess it is grades or behavior off the field that these kids end up at Utah instead of BYU.

    Some of them actually play as freshman. We have had some that play as Fr. too, Dulan, Manu and Fuga to name a few. Why aren't the supposed really good Fr. DLineman we have seeing much action. That kid from Texas was supposed to be an animal. He isn't LDS, so I wouldn't red shirt him. We won't be here 5 years let alone 4.

    Comment

    • jay santos
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 13652

      #137
      link from CB

      Your best source for quality BYU Cougars news, rumors, analysis, stats and scores from the fan perspective.


      Markell Staffieri's take. He predicts Micah Alba will be new DB coach. I didn't know he was coaching. He's the corners coach at Fresno. Maybe Bronco thinks Brian Logan is too tall for the job.

      Comment

      • Jarid in Cedar
        CS Institutional Memory
        • Jun 2009
        • 13234

        #138
        Originally posted by byu71 View Post
        I see the LDS kids that Utah has on the DL. I don't know if they are better talent or just coached up, but they sure do look good to me. I guess it is grades or behavior off the field that these kids end up at Utah instead of BYU.

        Some of them actually play as freshman. We have had some that play as Fr. too, Dulan, Manu and Fuga to name a few. Why aren't the supposed really good Fr. DLineman we have seeing much action. That kid from Texas was supposed to be an animal. He isn't LDS, so I wouldn't red shirt him. We won't be here 5 years let alone 4.
        John Pease has been a big plus. Excellent coach who every DL player praises effusely for improving aspects if their game.

        My ADR6300 is having unauthorized sleepovers.
        "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

        "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

        "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

        -Rick Majerus

        Comment

        • Hot Lunch
          Out of Office
          • Nov 2008
          • 7842

          #139
          Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
          Above the issues with Hill what is your take on the situation at BYU? Is the talent this bad or is it the perfect storm so to speak?
          I personally think it is a couple of things.

          #1 BYU hasn't done a very poor job recruiting on the defensive side of the ball. They have little to no depth on the D line right now. Vic So'oto was brought here to play Tight End and has been moved to D line. They are playing right now with two d lineman that have talent to play D-1 football. The others shouldn't even see the field. They had one good class for linebackers and they are all on missions right now. The future their looks bright. They have landed one safety who will be a great player but he is on a mission and the majority of the corners that they recruited were ran off by coach Hill. The recruiting on defense has been bad.

          #2 Coach Hill is not a good coordinator. Coach Hill told a player that I know very well that his defense was so complex that not even the assistant coaches understand it. Hell, if your assistant coaches can't understand it how in the heck do you expect your players to understand it and execute it. It is a good thing he is gone in more ways than one for BYU.

          #3 BYU doesn't play with passion. They lack passion on offense and defense. I have thought this for some time. The last couple of years they have had a handful of passionate players that have moved on now. This year it seems like 2 guys plays with passion out there, Andrew Rich and Jordan Pendleton at times. Andrew is fun to watch play the game. Their O line can't run block because to be good run blockers you need to have passion for the game. The defense doesn't fly around because they don't play with passion. Vic So'oto can't play with passion because his job is to occupy two blockers. Not very fun at all. On the current coaching staff there are two coaches that I have observed that have passion when they are out there, Doman and Higgins. I don't see the fire in the other coaches. There is lack of passion all around IMO.

          Just some of my thoughts on this.
          "Take it to the Bank"

          Comment

          • cougjunkie
            *Banned*
            • Nov 2008
            • 23223

            #140
            Originally posted by jay santos View Post
            link from CB

            Your best source for quality BYU Cougars news, rumors, analysis, stats and scores from the fan perspective.


            Markell Staffieri's take. He predicts Micah Alba will be new DB coach. I didn't know he was coaching. He's the corners coach at Fresno. Maybe Bronco thinks Brian Logan is too tall for the job.
            Alba was a GA at BYU then took the Fresno job.
            *Banned*

            Comment

            • cougjunkie
              *Banned*
              • Nov 2008
              • 23223

              #141
              Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
              I personally think it is a couple of things.

              #1 BYU hasn't done a very poor job recruiting on the defensive side of the ball. They have little to no depth on the D line right now. Vic So'oto was brought here to play Tight End and has been moved to D line. They are playing right now with two d lineman that have talent to play D-1 football. The others shouldn't even see the field. They had one good class for linebackers and they are all on missions right now. The future their looks bright. They have landed one safety who will be a great player but he is on a mission and the majority of the corners that they recruited were ran off by coach Hill. The recruiting on defense has been bad.

              #2 Coach Hill is not a good coordinator. Coach Hill told a player that I know very well that his defense was so complex that not even the assistant coaches understand it. Hell, if your assistant coaches can't understand it how in the heck do you expect your players to understand it and execute it. It is a good thing he is gone in more ways than one for BYU.

              #3 BYU doesn't play with passion. They lack passion on offense and defense. I have thought this for some time. The last couple of years they have had a handful of passionate players that have moved on now. This year it seems like 2 guys plays with passion out there, Andrew Rich and Jordan Pendleton at times. Andrew is fun to watch play the game. Their O line can't run block because to be good run blockers you need to have passion for the game. The defense doesn't fly around because they don't play with passion. Vic So'oto can't play with passion because his job is to occupy two blockers. Not very fun at all. On the current coaching staff there are two coaches that I have observed that have passion when they are out there, Doman and Higgins. I don't see the fire in the other coaches. There is lack of passion all around IMO.

              Just some of my thoughts on this.
              I think Bronco may bring that passion back at least in regards to hustle, pursuit, and flying around to make plays. This is where I think Bronco excels. Vic So'oto said a lot of defensive players were scared shitless about this week of practice. I think this is a good thing, Bronco needs to come in and clean house.
              *Banned*

              Comment

              • TheBYUGuy
                Friend of Rodin
                • Sep 2009
                • 1442

                #142
                Just for fun, does anybody have the numbers of BYU's defensive YPC on the season and where it ranks?

                I'm curious because:
                -BYU's rushing defense (total YPG) is worst in the country, right?
                -Their opponents have known this, so they continue to run the ball.
                -In 3 of BYU's games (not against AFA and FSU), I don't remember many big running plays.
                -I think some of it is probably also due to opposing offenses having the ball so much and running more plays, as opposed to a lot of big gains

                Comment

                • SeattleUte
                  Faith crisis consultant
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 20837

                  #143
                  Sad:



                  Now Bronco, predictably, is attacking his character (see Manti Teo):

                  When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                  --Jonathan Swift

                  Comment

                  • Hot Lunch
                    Out of Office
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 7842

                    #144
                    Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                    I think Bronco may bring that passion back at least in regards to hustle, pursuit, and flying around to make plays. This is where I think Bronco excels. Vic So'oto said a lot of defensive players were scared shitless about this week of practice. I think this is a good thing, Bronco needs to come in and clean house.
                    I agree with this.
                    "Take it to the Bank"

                    Comment

                    • byu71
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 22070

                      #145
                      Originally posted by Hot Lunch View Post
                      I personally think it is a couple of things.

                      #1 BYU hasn't done a very poor job recruiting on the defensive side of the ball. They have little to no depth on the D line right now. Vic So'oto was brought here to play Tight End and has been moved to D line. They are playing right now with two d lineman that have talent to play D-1 football. The others shouldn't even see the field. They had one good class for linebackers and they are all on missions right now. The future their looks bright. They have landed one safety who will be a great player but he is on a mission and the majority of the corners that they recruited were ran off by coach Hill. The recruiting on defense has been bad.

                      #2 Coach Hill is not a good coordinator. Coach Hill told a player that I know very well that his defense was so complex that not even the assistant coaches understand it. Hell, if your assistant coaches can't understand it how in the heck do you expect your players to understand it and execute it. It is a good thing he is gone in more ways than one for BYU.

                      #3 BYU doesn't play with passion. They lack passion on offense and defense. I have thought this for some time. The last couple of years they have had a handful of passionate players that have moved on now. This year it seems like 2 guys plays with passion out there, Andrew Rich and Jordan Pendleton at times. Andrew is fun to watch play the game. Their O line can't run block because to be good run blockers you need to have passion for the game. The defense doesn't fly around because they don't play with passion. Vic So'oto can't play with passion because his job is to occupy two blockers. Not very fun at all. On the current coaching staff there are two coaches that I have observed that have passion when they are out there, Doman and Higgins. I don't see the fire in the other coaches. There is lack of passion all around IMO.

                      Just some of my thoughts on this.
                      Answer me this. I am actually open to get some good thoughts on the subject. Do you think with BYU's emphasis on other things besides football for these kids. Missions, marriage and academics are three that come to mind that other schools don't deal with ahead of FB.

                      In addition to that, you have a coach that talks about FB on an overall basis not being that important and kids are judged on their community service, academics, etc. besides their FB ability. Do you think it is tougher for kids at BYU to focus on football. To really get excited to go out and play the game.

                      I know I was a baseball nut before I left on my mission. I actually had a Chicago and Cinn. scout talk to me during my Fr. year at USU. When I got off my mission USU had dropped the program and I didn't care. My son could have played at UVSC after his mission and after a few practices quit. He said it just isn't worth his time as there are more important things going on.

                      I just wonder how hard it is to get these kids that passionate.

                      Comment

                      • byu71
                        Senior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 22070

                        #146
                        This is a good thread. I would plead with everyone to ignore the troll post which will lead to messing a good thread up.

                        Comment

                        • PaloAltoCougar
                          Semper infra dignitatem
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 16938

                          #147
                          Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                          Now Bronco, predictably, is attacking his character (see Manti Teo):

                          http://www.deseretnews.com/article/7...r-program.html
                          The character assassination is made clear by the one comment in your cited article that mentions Hill: "Mendenhall said he appreciated Hill's contributions the past four-plus seasons. 'He helped us have a lot of success,' he added." That was vicious.

                          Comment

                          • Hot Lunch
                            Out of Office
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 7842

                            #148
                            Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                            Answer me this. I am actually open to get some good thoughts on the subject. Do you think with BYU's emphasis on other things besides football for these kids. Missions, marriage and academics are three that come to mind that other schools don't deal with ahead of FB.

                            In addition to that, you have a coach that talks about FB on an overall basis not being that important and kids are judged on their community service, academics, etc. besides their FB ability. Do you think it is tougher for kids at BYU to focus on football. To really get excited to go out and play the game.

                            I know I was a baseball nut before I left on my mission. I actually had a Chicago and Cinn. scout talk to me during my Fr. year at USU. When I got off my mission USU had dropped the program and I didn't care. My son could have played at UVSC after his mission and after a few practices quit. He said it just isn't worth his time as there are more important things going on.

                            I just wonder how hard it is to get these kids that passionate.
                            Yes, I think mission and marriage has an impact on the passion of the player. I would say that marriage has the bigger influence. In my experience, I have seen a huge difference in the passion a player had for the game in college between the players that were married and were not married.

                            That being said, a couple of the most passionate players from the last couple of years for BYU were married. That would be Austin Collie and Max Hall.
                            "Take it to the Bank"

                            Comment

                            • Indy Coug
                              Heartless Bastard
                              • Dec 2008
                              • 18747

                              #149
                              Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                              Answer me this. I am actually open to get some good thoughts on the subject. Do you think with BYU's emphasis on other things besides football for these kids. Missions, marriage and academics are three that come to mind that other schools don't deal with ahead of FB.

                              In addition to that, you have a coach that talks about FB on an overall basis not being that important and kids are judged on their community service, academics, etc. besides their FB ability. Do you think it is tougher for kids at BYU to focus on football. To really get excited to go out and play the game.

                              I know I was a baseball nut before I left on my mission. I actually had a Chicago and Cinn. scout talk to me during my Fr. year at USU. When I got off my mission USU had dropped the program and I didn't care. My son could have played at UVSC after his mission and after a few practices quit. He said it just isn't worth his time as there are more important things going on.

                              I just wonder how hard it is to get these kids that passionate.
                              Especially in light of how much pressure these kids are put under in the ever-increasing pressure cooker of college football.
                              Everything in life is an approximation.

                              http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                              Comment

                              • RC Vikings
                                Known Heterosexual
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 8789

                                #150
                                Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                                I know I was a baseball nut before I left on my mission. I actually had a Chicago and Cinn. scout talk to me during my Fr. year at USU.
                                It's to bad you didn't pursue this. Maybe you could have batted between Rose and Bench.

                                Comment

                                Working...